You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Figure Or Void In The Fog

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Figure Or Void In The Fog

 

This is a very short story (so I've fleshed it out a bit), and I am wondering if anyone has witnessed anything similar.

In 2004 I moved to a small village south of Chester, England and worked in another village in Chester, some 20 miles away. Late in the year, November / December time, I was driving home on the country lanes, it would have been nearly 6pm. I remember it being a misty/foggy night and as I neared my village I saw a dark figure walking towards me on my side of the road. There was an on-coming car on the other side of the road and I could see the silhouette of the figure in the other cars headlights, although my headlights failed to illuminate the front of this figure I was seeing. All that happened within just a few seconds and as I thought the figure was a real person and there was an oncoming car, I slammed my brakes on for an 'emergency stop'. The oncoming car passed and continued on its way and I saw no one where the figure had been. A little worried I got out of my car and had a look around and still couldn't see anyone. There were no woods to disappear into, or anything like that - just fields.

As I got back into my car I looked at the road sign in front of me warning of a sharp-right bend in the road. Had the dark void in the mist been the shadow of the road sign in the other cars headlights? I assumed so, for just a moment - for at that point another car came round the bend and I watched the shadow of the road sign as the other car came round the corner. Yes, it was a dark void, but it was not person shaped and my headlights continued to illuminate the front of it that I could see. Perplexed I set off again and was home within a couple of minutes. I told this to my girlfriend. We thought little more of it than an optical illusion and settled down for a normal night in.

A week or so later my girlfriend and I were driving back from Chester one evening and we both saw a very similar thing. It was quite misty and while driving along main road through a residential area (other cars, street lights, etc) we saw a dark figure cross the road in front of us - just like a person but it was like a void in the mist that didn't reflect the headlights as much as the rest of the mist does. We both thought it was wired and probably a trick of the light.

A week or so later, while the two of us were driving along a country lane it happened again - I didn't see it this time, but my girlfriend did.

A week or so after that while driving home my brakes failed and I almost had a very nasty car accident (probably unrelated).

Two weeks later (around Christmas time) my girlfriend and I split up and I moved out of the area.

These sightings have remained in my memory for a long time and for ages the area south of Chester had been the only place I had ever seen such phenomenon - and only in Cheshire have I known such dense fog and mist (usually at night).

Were these voids in the mist spiritual entities? Were they warning me of something? The visions did mark the start of a very unhappy time in my life. A period of time that only really started to improve when I delved further into spiritualism and really started to think about the spirit world in much more depth.

I have seen these dark voids in the mist once or twice since then - shortly after meeting the woman who is now my wife - and the one time that sticks in my mind the most is seeing a dark figure cross a busy road behind me - I watched in my rear-view mirror as the headlights from the car behind failed to light up part of the fog in the shape of a person.

I would be really interested to hear of any similar experiences. Mine have only been while driving - maybe a trick of the light - or maybe because I don't go walking round country lanes at night with a torch as bright as my car headlights. I'm open to discussion, opinions and answers!

Other hauntings by Northie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Northie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

shadow13 (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-05)
This is a bit scary I'm too young to drive and I'm only 12 but I have read a lot of storiies and seen a few movies. I think that the black thing you are seeing is a bad spiret that brings bad luck or death but I have only heard of this type of deomon thing in two stories and in them it was the same type of place; foggy/misty, dark places where the dark spirts live good luck
SHADOW13 ❤
xo_danny_ox (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-17)
I have seen the same sorta things that you are discribing, I live in hertforshire and I'm always driving on country lanes. I always passed it off as "a trick of the eye" or something! Even tho some of them were quite spooky looking! Nothing bad has ever happened after seeing them tho! Some of the roads that I use are supposed to be haunted by an old highway man and I have also seen some strange things when there's been no mist or fog! Were getting into the misty foggy season soon so ill keep my eye open for the shadows or voids! Ill post if I see anything!
SeventySeven (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-17)
I had a bout with sleep paralysis, where I awoke to a shadow/dark void over top of me... Not long after my girlfriend and I broke up. Maybe these appartions are warnings of impending heart break?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: