You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Footsteps And Perfume

Real Ghost Stories

Footsteps And Perfume

 

This is my last experience, at least all that I can think of at the moment. If anymore come to mind I will share them. Hopefully I won't have any more happenings. In my last post, I shared the dream that my Dad had a few weeks before he passed away. I now want to share the experiences that my family and I have had in my house.

After my Dad passed away, my Mom remarried a couple of years later and we moved. We moved two hours away from a big city to a really small town. The house we moved to was a lot older than the one I moved from, it was built around 1920. I still live in this house today. My first experiences in this house that I can remember was about a pitcher. My Mom collects pitchers. You know, like the antique porcelain water pitchers. One day in the summer, I was about 10 or 11, we were watching TV. When all of a sudden one of them flew off the corner shelf and shattered. She was irritated, picked up the pieces and told someone, not me, that she didn't appreciate the mischief and now she was going to have to glue it back together. (Which she did, and still has this pitcher). That particular summer I remember how a trash bag would turn over on its own all the time. No one would be in the kitchen. Again, my Mom would be irritated and have to go into the kitchen and pick up the overturned bag and any trash that fell out. (I don't remember why we didn't have a trash bin at the time, but we didn't). I asked my Mom why was this happening and who was doing it and she said it was the "mischief-not-me- ghost". I don't know if any of you remember a cartoon that came out in the Sunday funnies, I think it may have been Family Circus, but it was about the mom asking the kids who did whatever mess had been made and all the kids would say "not me" and a little ghost was standing behind the kids with the words "not me" written on his front. It was really cute; you would have to see it I guess. Anyway, that is when I aware of the strange things that would happen. Not really strange, more annoying than anything.

Things always got placed in places where they were not placed to begin with. (Now the sock monster was a whole different story, he lived in the washing machine and always ate one sock of a pair... But we all have that little pest...right?) As I grew older I was used to the strange things that got turned over, broken and misplaced. I didn't pay much attention to it. My younger brothers were born, brought home from the hospital and grew up in this house too. Along came nieces and nephews who spent nights on a regular basis and they too learned to just tell this little mischief to behave. But my sister in law was not to be pacified that easy. While cleaning up after a family get together, we were in the kitchen doing the dishes and putting them away. She had put some cups and glasses away in the cabinet earlier and when she started to put the plates in the cabinet she screamed when she opened the door. We didn't know what in the world was wrong with her. She said she put all the cups and glasses in the cabinet right side up and now they were all upside down. My Mom told her maybe she just thought she had put them in that way. My sister in law was adamant that no, she always put them in right side up. My Mom just laughed and told her that the ghost just didn't like them that way because it knew they belonged upside down. Of course my sister in law was bewildered, so my Mom just made light of it and explained about the "not me" ghost. She, of course, didn't believe it, so we continued on with the cleaning. All of a sudden the cabinet door flew off its hinges and flew across the room. She screamed, threw down her towel and ran outside. Even we had never experienced this before. But, again, we really paid no mind to it.

When I was a teenager, you could be sitting downstairs in the living room and hear footsteps overhead in the bedroom. It sounds as if someone walks up the stairs, across the room and then turns and goes back. This happened to be my bedroom. Again, since it happened so much I didn't pay attention. Then a strange thing happened. I was in my room, jamming to some music when I suddenly smelled the strongest, sweetest perfume smell. I at first thought a bottle had fallen off my dresser but when I checked, nothing was spilled, nothing was out of place. I didn't feel scared, but I did have a strange feeling, I felt curious and surprised. As soon as it was there, it went just as quickly away. But it was something that I have never been able to forget.

When I became an adult, I moved out of the house, got married and was raising my daughter. When my daughter was about seven, I bought the house from my Mom and stepdad. By this time I was divorced and it was just me and my daughter. As she grew, she experienced the turning over thing, and misplaced stuff. I told her about the little mischievous ghost and left it at that. I didn't want to say anything about the footsteps and perfume because this was now HER bedroom and I didn't want to frighten her. When she was about sixteen. I was washing dishes one day and she came into the kitchen telling me the strangest thing had just happened to her. She recounted the perfume incident almost word for word that I had told my own Mom when I was about her age. I still didn't tell her that it had happened to me.

I told my Mom about it and she agreed not to tell her either. I did tell her eventually but it didn't scare her. She's like me; she just found it to be really odd.

My current husband lives here with me now along with his son. At first, he was really freaked out about the footsteps and other odd things, but I finally convinced him that it won't harm him. It just likes to play and get into mischief. The perfume thing, well I have no idea what to make of that. My stepson casually mentioned a perfume smell to me about six months ago. He knows nothing of this, my daughter or myself hasn't mentioned it because he stays upstairs now and we didn't want to freak him out.

So, that's it. Nothing else. If I think of more, I will write.

Other hauntings by butterfly66

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, butterfly66, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

butterfly66 (4 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-22)
Thank you for all your comments. I'm sorry to say I don't have any more experiences to share. In a way, I wish I did because I enjoyed writing and sharing them and getting input from everybody. The freaky feeling part I don't miss, lol.

I can just see the look on everyone's face Cosmogal when the jar hung in the air for a sec and then smashed. I'm sure it mimicked the look on my sister-in-law's face when the glasses were upside down!:)

Miche, we have been doing some remodeling this summer and my husband took some pics as progress was being made. He posted them on facebook and his sister called him all excited about the "orbs that are all around". We just laughed it off and told her no, it's just dust on the camera lens. Hhhmmm, maybe not?

I'm glad you enjoyed my postings zzsgranny, I sorta wondered if anyone would actually read them because I felt like I was always rambling on and on, lol. It's not so bad sharing a house with an invisible house mate. Now if I could just train it to do the dishes and take out the trash once in awhile.

We don't know much about the history of the house Dan, I wish we did. All we know is that the woman who sold us the house was a widow, her husband had died several years before that. We completely removed the front porch about 10 years ago and replaced it and found a man's dog tags (army I guess) under the boards but they didn't belong to her husband, different last name.

I'm glad you like my experience Trix. I wish I had advice for you too, but I'm completely lost when it comes to this kind of stuff. But I know exactly how you and everyone else here feels when that odd smell appears. At least I know now that it wasn't my sniffer out of whack:)

Again, thank you all for your wonderful comments and input, I really appreciate it. If I ever have something unexplained happen to me again, and I won't mind if I don't, I will be sure to come back here and share. Reading all your replies is very comforting to me. Take care!
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-19)
Hi Butterfly66, This was such an interesting story. I liked reading it. It's a pity it's the last one. Your house let me think of my house. Little things happen, but it's not frightening. The only thing that scares me now is that I also smelled something in my bedroom the other day. My husband smelled it too. It was not like in your house a nice scent, but this was a smell like something wet muffs somewhere in our bedroom. The smell was only in our bedroom. I didn't like it. We just ignored it, and went outside. When we returned to the room again later the smell was gone. It happened twice now. Just in our room. My house is clean no wet stuff lying around. Do you have advice? Thanks for sharing your story. It opened my eyes towards this smell.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-18)
Hi butterfly66: I too can relate to the footsteps and perfume smell but I recognise that is my grandmas that she always used to wear, sometimes it is really strong I have even experienced this smell at my work place but only a few times makes me very happy when this occured. Do you know much about your homes history at all?

Thanks for sharing

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-18)
butterfly: LOL! I remember the cartoon 😆...My Mom said that cartoon was like our family, specially the little not me guy... And the sock moster?...I think he travels from the washer to the dryer on occasion! 😆

I have really enjoyed your stories, and honestly, it's a shame if there aren't any more... 😢

While I was growing up, I'd get a whiff of some things too, like roses, apples, and oddly: onions!...It's nice to know that there are others who don't mind an invisible house mate...Hopefully, your stepson and Husband will come to terms with your friend soon...

Good story, thanks for posting...
miche101 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-18)
That is such a cool story... Talk about history repeating itself... Has anyone tried taking pictures randomely in your house where you have had these experiences? Would be curious to know if anything pops up.
I, too, have had the smell of perfume in my kitchen & hallway (just outside of my kitchen)...it smelled like my mom's perfume. It was strong & smelled like it was just sprayed... Those were the last 2 spots my mom stood before she passed.
Good luck. 😁
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-18)
Hello again butterfly66, I enjoyed reading your story as it reminds me of the apt. I grew up in. We had a lot of the same things happen like, footsteps, things being broken or moved, one time a glass jar slid to the edge of the refrigerator swept off hung in mid air for a second or two and then smashed to floor right in front of me, my mom, and her friend. The perfume smell can be related to your ghost. Paranormal researchers call that a phantom smell, seems to come out of nowhere will linger for a few minutes then just disappear. I'm glad to hear that it never bothered anyone in your family accept for the time it made a believer out of your sister-in-law. Sounds like it's content just hanging around doing it's own thing and causing a little mischief now and then. We never did anything about our little ghost either, we just let him be. Oh and I have to tell you that I love that your mom named him the "not me" ghost. LOL 😆 Take care 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: