You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Ghost In The House

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost In The House

 

In the late 1960's, into the early 1970's, my family lived in Jeddah and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. In 1971 we drove from Jeddah to Riyadh and moved into an old house owned by a General of the Arabian military. My first impression was that it was haunted. It felt as if the house was longing, lonely and sad. I was 11 years old, my younger sister was 9, my brother was 7, and my baby sister was 5.

The house was surrounded by eucalyptus trees. One of the trees reminded us of 'Big Bird' from Sesame Street. The house had been empty for a few years before we arrived. It took us a few weeks to get the house comfortable. The interior was painted sea foam green and bright pink and white. Outside in the front lawn was a cistern. Our mother made us promise never to open it. She was afraid one of us might fall in and drown.

It wasn't long before I began to hearing a woman's voice calling my name. The odd thing was that she called my name in very rapid succession in a whispering tone, "Theresa-Theresa-Theresa-Theresa" on and on and on without pause for a breath. The first time this happened I was home alone. My mom, sisters and brother had gone to the store. At first I thought I was imaging the voice until it followed me from room to room. It scared me so I finally went outside on the porch to wait for their return.

My baby sister's room was down the hall from mine. The ghost frightened her too. She would come into my room in the middle of the night saying the ghost was near and crawl into bed with me.

The ghost would wake me up by violently bumping my bed during the night. Sometimes she would do this numerous times. When I'd wake up, I was very aware of someone's face being very close to mine, but instead of feeling a warm breath, I felt a strange cold. I was petrified, too afraid to even breathe. I'd cover my face in my coverlet and tremble myself back to sleep, too afraid to breath, speak or move. It was horrifying for a child. So, when my little sister asked to join me in bed, I would console her. I always felt as if someone was watching us in that house.

One morning my mother and I were sitting in the kitchen alone talking when we suddenly heard heavy footsteps approaching, as if coming from the tiled entry, through the living room into the dining room. They suddenly stopped when they reached the kitchen doorway. We both stopped talking expecting to see my dad, but there was nothing. In fact he was still asleep in bed. No one else heard the footsteps.

There were times when I would be doing my chores, perhaps washing dishes, cleaning the floors, or doing laundry, when I'd feel this being engulf me. I'd find it difficult to move, weighted down. I could feel it was desperate, sad, and sometimes playful when it scared me. I'd see images out of the corner of my eyes. It never let me see it directly, until one day when I went out on the front lawn and opened the cistern. We'd open the cistern when we knew my mother wasn't watching. We were kids.

One afternoon, I felt it wanted me to open the cistern. I felt that she led me outside, and I opened it. There were what appeared to be two eyes looking back at me. I was lost in time, lost in that gaze. Then the eyes receded down into the watery depths. I dropped the door and ran for the house. I never said anything about it.

When I was 12 my father had the house repainted. Oddly enough, much of the activity stopped. I felt it, but not as aggressively. It still woke me up at night, but not as often.

In the summer of 2008 my mother was visiting us, and we reminisced about that old house in Riyadh. I finally told her about the eyes in the cistern. She stopped, and I could tell that she wanted to say something. Mom finally spoke. "I didn't tell you, but do you remember the General's Egyptian maid?" I told her yes, that I remembered her. "Well," mom continued, "she told me that a man killed his wife in that house, and put her body in the cistern. I never told you kids that. I believe that's why the house was haunted, by her spirit. What you told me is scaring me. You probably saw her spirit still in there." I finally had closure.

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tajah7, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Firas (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-05)
Hi Theresa Pratt. Can you tell me where this place is? I ALSO LIVE IN SAUDI ARABIA RIYADH AND I WANT TO KNOW THE NAME OF THAT PLACE. PLEASE TELL ME THE NAME OF THAT AREA.THANKYOU

firas.bashir828 [at] gmail.com
chicalovesu92 (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-22)
dude I had that same experience. I was washing the dishes when I heard a mexican lady say C'mon chica Skye. Come look what I found. I followed it into my room and I saw a baby bleeding on the floor. I blinked and I was in a complete different place. I mean the surroundings look familiar, but I I didn't kno where I was. 😲
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-22)
that was an awesome story! It could be put to a film! Well at least you knew why the house was haunted and had a closure. I just wish the soul in the cistern was already at rest.

❤
xdannyx117x (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-20)
Wow pretty scary but yeah I didn't think it wanted to hurt anybody, it probably just wanted someone to know she was there
Pinkzilla (35 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-20)
Scary story indeed. You and your baby sister must have been so very scared. I agree that the ghost wanted to be aknowledged and/or released.

Your sister was lucky to have such a great sibling who would let crawl into bed with her when scared. My baby brother would have bad nightmares and would come to me and I always let him... I hated seeing him so frightened!

:0)
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-19)
Geez that's pretty frightning, Id say its a fair guess that what you were experiencing was the spirit of the woman killed, looking for someone to acknowledge her she maybe wanted help to cross over. As mentioned yes the renovating no doubt stirred up a lot more activity. I am glad that you and hopefully the woman found closure.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+4
14 years ago (2010-08-19)
I have the chills just reading about what you experienced, you and your sister must have been terrified. Maybe by opening the cistern it freed the woman's spirit in some way and she didn't feel trapped anymore. It could explain why the activity dissipated, and I also agree with BadJuuJuu the new paint might have calmed her down as well.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+4
14 years ago (2010-08-19)
Oh, wow. That is quite an account.
Alot of times, we don't get a satisfactory explanation for what we experience. You are one of the few people that can say, "Ok, I know why this place was haunted."
Usually, renovating, painting, changing a house will cause a spike in paranormal activity. Since the activity calmed down, it seems your ghost was happy about the change. Maybe, after the house was painted, it didn't remind her quite as strongly of what happened.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: