You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Demon On The Tree Near The Cowshed

Real Ghost Stories

Demon On The Tree Near The Cowshed

 

I was brought up in a metropolitan environment. In this background, we never used to hear about incidents relating to ghosts, demons, devil etc. However, through books and usual stories narrated by my grandmother, I got interested in this field. The incident I would like to narrate had happened when I was doing my sixth or seventh standard. In summer holidays, generally we used to visit our maternal grandparents house situated in a township around 60 kilometres from Madras. The house was an old-fashioned village house with lot of open spaces inside, garden, cowshed with lots of cattle. Because we were used to city life, the independence and the spacious surroundings had come like a boon to the children. We used to play a lot in the garden, tried to learn milking the cows from elders etc. We were also mischievous.

In that particular year, we were advised not to go near the cowshed. We enquired about the reason and were informed by the elders that nearly for the past 6 months, whenever a cow bears a calf, the calf dies within 3-4 days, however, healthy both the cow and calf are. Nothing happens to the cow but the calf dies eventually. This has made the cows somewhat erratic. Hence, we were advised to stay away from playing with the cows, which we generally used to do. There were more than 20 cows at that point of time. When we were staying, one more calf died. On that particular day, the milkman was talking to my grandmother to contact a priest, Ponnambalam, who was residing nearby since he feels that something unnatural is happening continuously. The belief in the villages and towns in those days cannot be understood with the background of rational and metropolitan atmosphere and surroundings, which we are used to. My grandmother contacted the priest Ponnambalam and he also consented to come the next day, being Wednesday, early in the morning.

Next day, at around 6.00 a.m., the priest arrived. I was quite ready since I was from the beginning interested in these kinds of fields. He went to the cowshed, garden, the well with a stick in his hand and went back to the shed once again. Then he went around a tree situated near the cowshed. He stood there for a few minutes with closed eyes as if meditating. Thereafter, he returned to the house. He told my grandmother that it was because of a demon that was present in the tree near the cowshed, the calves are dying. My grandmother asked as to why the cows are not dying and only the calves. To this, the priest said that each demonic appearance manifests in itself different characters and that this demon takes the lives of the calves as and when they are born. He asked us not to worry and stated that he would perform poojas to drive away the demon. He also told that he would start right away and would take minimum of two days to complete the pooja. He asked us to buy some pooja materials for that purpose.

The priest, Ponnambalam, started the pooja around 9.00 a.m. And went upto 12. 00 noon. This he did for nearly three days. The reaction we got was unheard of and unthinkable. I never experienced such reactions from the demonic force. On the open spaces, there were flurry small stones hurled at the house. We initially thought that it was some mischief from some persons staying nearby. We went to the rooftop and started watching. But, even in our presence, the incident was happening. There would be a gap of 5 minutes and once again, there would be black sand thrown in open spaces as if it was being showered from the sky. But, the one that came next was the most nasty happening. From out of the open space, human excreta were thrown at the house. We were shocked. This continued until the pooja was over at around 12. 00 noon on the first day. The priest said that these are the acts of demon trying to scar us and advised us not to be unduly worried and said that he would come back the next day. We were really shocked and afraid and asked him what if the demon comes inside the house and started attacking us. To his, he smiled and said that we have the Thulasi plant (Holy Basil) inside the house and no demon or devil dare come inside the house. But, we were still worried and had sleepless night that day. However, nothing happened. But, the stones were hurled in the open spaces on a frequency of 3 hours, however, without much intensity. Fortunately, no human excreta was thrown inside the house.

Next day, once again when the priest started the attacks. But, this time, the frequency increased to such an extent, we went inside the pooja room to request the priest to do some thing to stop the attacks. He said that these cannot be stopped and told that he is also experiencing pain in his back frequently as if someone is beating him with a stick. He has continued his pooja. When he was leaving the house, we were able to see the scars on his back as if someone had really beaten him with a stick. The problem with the whole aspect was cleaning the ground of these stones, sand and excreta. But, after the second day's pooja, there were no attacks thereafter.

On the third day, there was no stone hurling or sand throwing etc. But, the priest was put to a lot of hardship and tears were coming out of his eyes. He must have been facing a lot of pain during the pooja. On the third and last day, the pooja was extended upto 3.00 p.m. By 1.30 p.m., there was some clarity on the face of the priest, Ponnambalam, and he finally did some "Yenthras" and nailed it in the cowshed and the tree adjoining the shed. One more Yenthra was nailed on the front door. He said that there would be no more demon attacks and that he had successfully driven out.

My grandmother wanted to give him some money but he refused to take it. He said that he was not in the habit of taking money. Despite our persuasion, he refused to take any money or gift etc.

But, as things stood, there was no untoward incident since that day either inside the house or the dying of calves as it used to happen in the previous six months.

This particular incident made me take more interest in the occult and parapsychological phenomenon. While that happened more than 30 years ago, I still so vividly remember the fear and anxiety with which we were put to during those 3 days.

Other hauntings by sds

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sds, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

lakshit-rattan (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-12)
Horrifying, as you and me know, ghosts in India are much more intenseful than any other, I totally believe on your experience and literally, it was very scary. The word demon sends a chill around me. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. 😁 😁 😁

Regards:
Lakshiat
INluvwidGHOSTS (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
It was really very sweet of priest for not charging anything even though he went through so much pain.
kphari (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-18)
Hmm... Its very rare that you could see such person. Thanks that you got tantrik sooner than later.
Pradeep (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
A mischievous or perhaps a dangerous entity... There is a possibility that it may have left the calves and turn its attention on humans... Nice One... Adding this to my favorites...
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Unexplained, thanks for your nice comments and your interest in our culture. First of all, majority of the books are nothing but trash and I feel that they are not related to anything paranormal except that they have been written by the authors just like novels. I have read some books in our language, Tamil. I would find out if there are any good English translations available and suggest to you. Please give me your E-mail ID.

Well, I did enquire Mr. Ponnambalam, the priest. But he did not elaborately tell me. I was very young then and he told me that certain aspects could not be discussed with children. But, what he did tell me and I learnt from other sources was that the stick he was having was like a magic wand, kept in Pooja every day, which has the ability to direct him to the correct place to find out about these negative entities. He also told me that the presence of negative energy he would be feeling through years of experience could definitely make him know what the entity is like a spirit, a malevolent ghost or a demon. Well, I did not ask him as to how a demon look like. As far as the stone, sand hurling besides other filth, it was directed only at our house, where the Pooja was being performed. It came from nowhere. Well, to tell you the truth, it was a huge house and behind the house was a big well and after that the cowshed and the garden, in which the tree was located on the far end. So, the range was pretty large. In fact, the priest said that the demon was operating from the tree.

Well, I think I clarified to the best of my knowledge.

Regards and respects to you,

SDS
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
A great story, SDS. Have favourited you as a person. Excellent writing and I'm learning more and more about your culture. I love your storytelling.

Just one thing, I wiki'd 'pooja' and saw that it was for celebrating the gods, how does this combat a demon and drive it away?

Also, when the demon threw the stones and other things, what kind of a range did it have? Were the stones thrown around a large area, or in a narrow area?

When the priest closed his eyes to detect the demon, how did he locate it? Was it by some inner sight? If so, what did it look like to the priest? What kind of shape and form did it have?

Sorry for all these questions, but I am very interested in this.

Also, if you could please let me know where I could get hold of any books of true ghost stories from your region in India (in English, if possible)? 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Well geetha50, I read you comments. Thank you. I always come back once in a while to my stories since I would like to know the comments and I learn many facts from it. Thanks again for your comments.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-24)
I read this story before and forgot to comment on it. It was a great story and it's going into my favourites. The author won't probably see this message but this is an interesting account.
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
Thank you for the suggestion rook. You are right, some of the stories are actually old
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
sanjeevgeorge,

Do you love them as 'Horror Fiction'? Or do you feel they are 'Real Experiences'?

All I really meant was just because you 'enjoy them' does not mean you have to comment on every single one of them. May I invite you to read some of the more recent experiences... I understand they may not be from India but you may find them as Enjoyable and perhaps you will have insights / inputs that may help someone in the 'here and now' and not be leaving a 'I was here' statement on an experience that is quite old.

Respectfully,

Rook
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
[at] rookdygin I don't understand what you are saying but yes I love the Indian horror stories that are on this site, hence I am commenting on them.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
sanjeevgeorge,

Are you going to comment on EVERY experience from India? It seems as if you have made it a mission to to so... While I admire your willingness to read all the Experiences from your Home Country comments to people who have not posted in months... Sometimes years... Seems a moot point, don't you think?

Respectfully,

Rook
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
-2
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
Wow it's like an old time Indian horror movie.

Ever tried to find out WHY that demon was attacking your house?
priaanka (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
hey,
It was really good, but haven't you tried any medical ways to find out?
IwanttoHelp (24 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
Thanks for sharing this interesting story.
I'm happy no calves lives were being taken anymore.
I'm also favouriting this one!
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
This is a very good story, and I'm sorry that you and your family were put through this. I'm glad that the priest was able to help you as well.

Definately favouriting this one.

Thank you for sharing a difficult time in your life with us.

Penny ❤
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
SDS:

It is a good thing that he priest was able to banish the demon. I'm thinking why would the demon take the life of the calves? Weird. Well I guess we have a lot of unexplained things about the paranormal.

God Bless

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
Wow sds: I wonder why this had occured in the first place? Would have been frightning to witness at that age, I'm not to familiar with your traditions and spirituality but it is always interesting to hear about. I'm glad that he banished the evil for your family sounds like it took its toll on him a fair bit.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: