You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Good Ghost Gone Bad?

Real Ghost Stories

Good Ghost Gone Bad?

 

When I was eleven years old my mother, younger sister and I moved into a new house. We were there alone for the first year as my father was still working where we'd previously lived and trying to find work where we had moved to. Where we lived was a small village in the countryside about five miles from the nearest town. It was a friendly village where everyone knew everyone and we settled in well.

The house we moved into was no more than thirty years old and most of the village was fairly new with only a small area of very old houses. I had always been skeptical of anything ghost related but on moving into the new house I had a strange sense of being slightly afraid/wary of being by myself either upstairs or downstairs and when going upstairs I always felt like something was close behind me on the stairs. I wrote this off as childish fear, which it most likely was.

Not long after we moved in I was asleep, and suddenly I was woken up by something. I lay their silent, with my eyes squeezed shut wondering what had woke me up. I could clearly hear someone moving around in my room, their footsteps, as if they were exploring my room and having a good look around. They weren't noisy, but I could feel their presence more than anything. I then felt them stand over my bed, watching me. I kept my eyes closed too afraid to look and soon fell back asleep. In the morning I tried to shake off the feeling of unease from the previous night's sleep. As I sat down to breakfast with my mother I said to her. 'Mum, I had the strangest experience last night, I could have sworn someone was in my room, was it you?' She looked at me strangely and a frown formed on her face. 'It wasn't me' She replied.

She then went on to explain her own experience of the night before. From my parent's room with the door open you could clearly see the hall window, and there was a light there as well. My mother tended to leave the light on for the sake of my little sister who was only five at the time and terrified of the dark. She explained how she'd suddenly woken up the same as I had, and sat up in bed. She'd looked across the hall and had been shocked to see a dark, very tall figure, standing in the hallway. She saw it move forwards, blocking out the hall light, heading towards my bedroom door, and then it disappeared. She said at first she'd thought it was someone who'd broken in, that they appeared to be male, tall and dressed in a long dark coat with the hood up. When it disappeared through my door she presumed she was either half asleep or fully asleep and dreaming. However she claimed she felt very awake at the time. As she described the night before I was shocked, my mum wrote it off as nothing more than coincidence as she is very skeptical. However, I, for the first time found myself afraid of ghosts.

In time, it came to light from neighbours/people around the area as we became to get to know them, that there was a possible explanation for this sighting. Across the back of our small cul de sac was a farm; the farm had a tiny amount of land and was more of a small holding. We were told that years ago it was a massive farm and the land where we lived, had been the farmer that lived there's land. Now, I never got the whole story, but apparently the young farmer had lived there with his mother after his father passed away. Apparently he had sold the land due to pressures from a building company that basically blackmailed him or pressured him into selling all his land. With all his land gone he thought he had failed his parents (his mother and dead father) and he fell into deep depression.

There is a small green; a field left for children to play on that could be seen from the front bedroom windows, in the middle of that field was a huge old tree with all the lower branches cut off. We had always found that strange. But now we knew why it was. The farmer had hung himself on that very tree after seeing his beloved fields be turned into a construction site. The loss had become too much. Now, his mother still lived there, and she had told the story to people herself. The strangest part was that people who had known him, including his mother, said that he often walked around in a long dark green raincoat with his hood up, just like the figure my mother saw. I have researched this story on the internet but have found no proof to back it up so I cannot say whether the story is full true.

To this day we feel like the ghost watches over his land, and that as we were knew he was scoping us out, seeing who had moved on to his land. We do not believe he was a malicious ghost, just a man who had fallen into dark, deep depression and who had ended his own life under tragic circumstances.

Since that time almost nine years ago, we have little activity in the house. Maybe five years ago I swore I heard someone breathing into my ear, as if they were crouched by the side of my bed; however this presence felt different, more malicious, like they were trying to scare me.

About two years ago me and my sister swapped rooms as I was getting older I needed less space. Whenever I was in that room, the cats were always afraid to go in. It was also the coldest, darkest room in the house. When my sister moved in the cats seem less bothered, however my sister soon experienced a fright of her own.

My little sister, maybe a year ago, woke to a terrifying experience where she was in bed and woke up to see someone/something a dark, figure crawling up her bed and she was kicking trying to get rid of it until it vanished, now she was never really told about my mothers and mine experience yet she said he was dressed in a dark coat. Yet, she couldn't have heard about that. So it seemed maybe the ghost had taken a malicious turn?

I would love to hear your opinions on this story? And your ideas on what this could all mean?

Other hauntings by RoseRed10

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RoseRed10, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-15)
Don't be afraid. I may be skeptical by nature, having no true experiences of my own, but try to keep an open mind. Just because its different does not mean that it is bad.
RoseRed10 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Its just dawned on me that it happened (the thing with my sister) Just after we swapped rooms, maybe he was just curious to see who was now staying in that room?

I've moved out now, and generally its got a nice atmosphere and no one has seen the ghost since.

Like I said I used to feel uneasy like I was being watched at night occasionally, but I never felt terrified.

Yeah, we never told her about the man in the coat because she is a big chicken and would have refused to stay in the house. Shes 15!
Walrek (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
I agree with the previous posts, that he isn't an bad or evil spirit. I think he is trying to do what he felt he failed to do in life, take care of the land. I would suggest to do things for the house/land that would bring beauty to it. Do your best to watch over the land and he just might watch over your family.

Best wishes and God bless.
bexscowz06 (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Such a sad story about the farmer.

I agree I think he was checking out the new neighbours. The land obviously meant a lot to him so it would make sense for him to want to see who moved in. He obviously decided you were a nice family and he was happy to have you there as he didn't try to scare you guys apart from the incident with your little sis. Though the fact he never came to her again must mean he didn't mean to scare her. Maybe he was just not trying to wake her but wanted to see closer who it was in the room like Noelle11 said. ❤
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Hi RoseRed10, your story is very well written. It's interesting to note how your sister was never told about the man in the dark coat, yet she obviously experienced the same thing you and your mother did. I'm glad to hear that overall there has been no more hauntings, although you still live in the same house, am I right? God's blessings to you and your family.
Genevieve
Noelle11 (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-23)
The begining seems normal enough, a regular ghost, but your sister's experience is really strange. How young is she? Maybe she just got scared when she saw him, and thought he was crawling towards her or somthing. I had a ghost a few years back who would sit on the edge of my bed when I slept, and he always seemed rather depressed as well, but never cruel. He was comforting in a way. The ghost would have left when he noticed he was scaring her if he was good.
Im not sure, but good luck.
RoseRed10 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-23)
Hello,

Thank you for your comment. I agree, it seemed strange. I wonder if he was angry or something? My sister has never experienced anything like that before.

RoseRed10
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-23)
I don't think he's turned malicious. It just doesn't fit. You could go to your local church/mosque/whichever religious building of your choosing, and ask for them to say a prayer for "special circumstances", and see if that helps. I know at my dads church, it's about $10, but it has helped family of mine in the past with their rather spookiy hauntings.

PS - I think that your ghost was just checking out his new roommate. 😉

Penny ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: