You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Faint Footsteps At The Bottom Of The Basement Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

Faint Footsteps At The Bottom Of The Basement Stairs

 

A few years ago, my family and I lived in a small town called Windsor, Missouri. It was an old town with really old spooky houses. My home was not one of the spooky looking ones. It was actually quite cute with a sunshine yellow color. This house had a nice aura from the outside, but what lurked inside was a completely different story.

When I walked into the house for the first time I felt a sense of fear and dread. The house had a finished basement which became our family den area. I didn't like this basement. My bedroom happened to be right across the hall from the basement door. I was about 12 at the time and I had doorway beads hanging on my door. The first night I had a scary experience was about a week after moving in.

I was lying in bed trying to sleep when I suddenly heard a faint groan coming from somewhere in the house. A few seconds later I heard faint footsteps at the bottom of the basement stairs. Needless to say, the footsteps got louder as whatever it was came up the stairway. I snuggled into my covers and watched my door. I heard one last footstep as they reached the top and then shuffling was heard (the carpet upstairs was fluffier). I stared in horror as my doorway beads began to sway and clatter, with NO NOISE, impossible. I was on the verge of tears when suddenly, the beads stopped straight, also impossible. I felt a presence in the room with me which was not a pleasant one. I heard a faint whisper and then the beads moved again and the footsteps descended down the stairs. That was not the only experience I had either.

I shall share them in other stories!

Any comments?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, megz2011, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Iluvanimals8 (4 stories) (41 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-21)
Mistifieing! Do you still live in Missouri? If so, which town?
-Danny
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-13)
I agree with the other posters for you to check the history of the house. Something might have happened down at your basement.

JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-10)
megz2011-- The shuffling on the stairs and "presence" are disconcerting enough, but I'm a little confused over the beads and the door. Are the beads hung in the doorway instead of a door or in addition?
Could it be the spirit of an original inhabitant of the land, or westward-ho American immigrants, scouts or settlers?
You might consider keeping a notebook handy to jot down other experiences to see if any pattern gathers.
eternal_flame (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-10)
When I was about 10 years of age, my family and I lived in a house that was haunted. I was terrified living in that house. And as a child you don't quite understand the happenings going on around you. But I understand how it feels to have something that scary happen.
CDX (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
This reminds me of a story, well not really a story, more of a summary some relatives told me about strange noises they heard at their house off and on over the years they lived there, including footsteps in the basement and ground floor at night. The problem being the house was freshly built before they moved in and as far as they could tell after researching the local area and the land it was built on there wasn't anything "dramatic" in it's history. Or at least, nothing that had been recorded.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
This where the old check out the history and land saying comes into play again. I don't think it was malevolent although you have other experiences so I will wait until then. It seems like it could have been confused and curious perhaps about the new owners. Look forward to hearing more.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
hippiechick83 (5 stories) (112 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
Yeah, I always wonder why people with cool ghost stories that occur in houses that they recently moved to never research the place and find out what the history is. I have tried researching my land (I live in a new mobile home) but I live in such a small town in the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate New York that there really isn't much history on file for my area. I wonder often what could have been here first. Thanks for sharing, way cool!
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
This is cool because I can identify with how the house was so cute & cozy looking but upon entry &/or night fall it's a whole new ballgame. Thanks for sharing & I'm looking forward to reading more. 😊 Bless you & yours. Much love.

~LSD~
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
funny that you did not hear the rattle of the beads. Makes me think, that this mass must have been over/around the beads to have drowned out the sound. Also, by this description, makes your experience much more believable to the listener. It is a relief to read a good convincing story like yours, absent of the whole "Demons floating out of windows" thing.
SuperHBK (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
hmmm... From my point of view I think that the entity was trying to tell her something but through that it saw fear in her and he decided to leave her, I strongly doubt that the entity will do any harm towards you
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
Hmm, I would say it might be a residual haunt from previous owners. In my opinion, normally benevolent ghosts won't make you feel so much dread, unless they were murdered or had a gruesome accident, but in your case, and most cases like this, I think its possible that the entity is malevolent.

That's the thing about houses; you never really know what goes on in them, unless you really dig for information or look at the house itself.

Did you ever look into the history of the house and land?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: