You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Kind Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Kind Man

 

Throughout most of my life I have been constantly moving from place-to-place due to my dad's job. We moved into a small, decent house somewhere in Colorado. It was an old house that the people in the surrounding neighborhood said had a history. Apparently sometime in the 1960's a friendly man had lived there. He had died of an unfortunate heart attack at some point and the house had been empty for some time. I was five at the time, so this story made little impression on me.

In the house I vaguely remember always waking up sometime late at night to the sound of soft footfalls walking around the floor above my head (I slept in the basement) I'd always assume that it was mom or dad and I would fall back to sleep. One night I was awoken by the sound, but instead of going back to sleep I found I was incredibly thirsty. So I walked as quietly as a five-year-old could up the stairs, dreading mom or dad catching me out of bed. The stairs lead straight into the kitchen and the footsteps I would hear were in the hall that connected to the kitchen (it was in the left wall from the stairs.) I went over to the sink grabbed some water and quickly turned to leave. A man in a brown suit was standing behind me. I remember clearly that I wasn't afraid and I asked him who he was and why was he in my kitchen. The man laughed loudly and got down next to me, smiling like he had heard a funny joke. He patted my head and gave me a knowing wink. "It'll all work out." Is the only thing he said before simply vanishing.

The next day I told my parents about it, but they simply smiled and thought I was brilliant for making it all up. Somehow I knew I couldn't convince them, so I've stayed quiet about the whole story.

We moved out of the house when I was seven, and never again did I see the man, or hear the footsteps. It felt so surreal that sometimes I wonder if it was just my imagination. His cheerful words that he spoke to me that night don't really make sense to me... What will work out?

So what's your opinion? Do think it really happened or was I just an over-imaginative little kid?

Any thoughts on that and what he said would be greatly appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Saulgood, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
I agree with cosmogal926. Probably the man is ok with you and your family staying there. Since you mentioned that you never saw him again during your stay he might have moved on to the light since good people are staying in his house. One question though, did you ever heard the footsteps again after the incident?

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
Agreeing with Cosmo here I think what he may have meant is that it will work out for you and your family living there. But who can know for sure, that's the thing with ghosts. I liked your story.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
I agree with Pjod. And where in Colorado was it? I live in CO. Too & the first house I remember was not as comforting as yours. The spirits there were sick. Bless you & yours. Much love & yes, I think it will all work out 😉

~LSD~
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
I think he was amused when you took some authority, claiming the home as yours. Perhaps the "...all work out" thing was meant for you, as in... No matter what happens, in the end, it will be ok. Life goes on.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
It could be that this man was a previous owner who passed away. Maybe he was telling you that he was ok with you and your family living there. I enjoyed this story. Thanks, and take care. 😊 ❤
Silene02 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
I think that you did see a ghost but I wonder as you do: What will work out?
Maybe the ghost took you for an other person, his son perhaps? It doens'nt make sense his words.

Liked your story any way, is not the common "gives me the creeps" story that you often read.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: