You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Who Was My Toddler Playing With?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Was My Toddler Playing With?

 

I can't stop thinking about what happened yesterday...

I was home with my 2 year old daughter alone, my 11 year old was in school and my husband was at the office. I was in the kitchen and I could hear my little one playing in the dining room/hall area. She just turned two, but can speak very well. I kept hearing her say, "I can see you." I assumed she was talking to me. Well after she said it about 5 times, I stepped halfway out of the kitchen, which allows me to look directly into the dining room, and she was standing on one side of a square column leaning to the side with her back facing the kitchen saying, "I can see you." This happened several more times with her going around the column and I just watched her. She never looked towards the kitchen and did not know I was watching her. She then ran towards the guest bathroom like she was being chased but in a fun way and stopped abruptly and started laughing and bending over and raising her shoulders up like she was being tickled. Then she started "chasing" whatever she was playing with, with her arms extended like she was trying to catch it while laughing.

Her motions were very fluid as if she were really interacting with someone. I immediately grabbed my cell phone to video it, then realized wait what if there is something there and then I got scared. My walking into the dining room got her attention, she stopped playing looked the other way and smiled at whatever she was playing with and walked over to me. I regret that I was too afraid to ask her "who" she could see and "who" she was playing with.

About an hour later, she and I passed by the dining room and she was holding my hand, got behind my legs, and pointed towards the stairs, and said, "Oooh, scary mommy, scary." And I said, "What baby, what is scary?" and she just got more behind my legs and continued to point to the stairs. At that point, I just grabbed her and took outside for a while so that I could put it out of her mind. Don't know what to make of it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 104, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

shelby200 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
i think your toddler was going like cause maybe you came and took your child away from the ghost so the ghost got angry and did something that your child found really scary and didn't like the look of I hope this helps:)
Ashutosh (2 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
These type of things must be taken care of, call a priest mam or change your house, tell your husband about it. And also inform the person from whom you bought the house.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
104 and any one else interested: Here are just a couple of links to articles that fit into the discussion on this page:

Www.state.com/id/2112982/

And: www.suite101.com/content/psychic-kids-a72691

Interesting...
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
Szaffi,
When I said <The child will not lie to you> I am not referring to you. I am telling that to 104. You might want to read it AGAIN and try to comprehend what I was posting. You don't have to tell your child that what she saw was a ghost or the child will get scared. I'll set my son as an example, I don't tell him that the lady he always sees in our house is a ghost, when he tells me that the he saw the ghost somewhere in our house, I will just ask him, what was the ghost doing or was she doing something, my son will answer me casually like he is just talking about a friend. That is how I support my son.
By the way, my son is already in school and so far he is not telling me anything about any ghosts in school. He only talks about the ghost he sees in our house. Even when he was still young, he will point to a location where nothing is tgher.
If we, as parents feel or observe that our children has a gift we don't just turn them away. And no psychologist or any rule can tell us that our child is ABNORMAL as what you are claiming if they are scared out of their wits or what. What the child believes right now is what they see. As for me, I won't turn away my child by just telling him that it is just his imagination or else he will lose confidence by telling what he sees. Also, let me tell you that NOT ALL KIDS HAVE THEIR SO-CALLED "FRIENDS".
whitebuffalo (guest)
+3
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
Hello 104.
I challenge you to look beyond the words in the comments below, and to concentrate on their intent.
If this were happening to one of MY children, I think I would have to sit back a while and just observe. It is VERY important (and trust me, Hun, I KNOW what emotions you are going through here) that you leave your emotion OUT of any conversation you may have ABOUT what/who she believes is with her at those times. Time will tell if she is actually playing with a life impaired individual or an imaginary friend.
When my daughter began with HER invisible companion, she was very vague about what she was seeing, hearing, playing... She was too young to understand why she needed to be graphic, and I could not figure out how to let her know that I did not SEE what SHE did. When she began to notice that I did not respond when her companion was right beside me, even if he screamed in my ear, that was when the questions started coming.
That is also when I began deep, and heavy research.
Sixty-five percent of children admit to having a friend who is not real. Approximately twenty-seven percent are actually friends with a life impaired individual. That is a pretty high percentage, especially when noted that that only comes from the numbers who ADMIT an imaginary friend, or "ghost" friend.
I hate to plug another site, but if you check out http://www.trueghosttales.com/imaginary-friends.php you will find a mixed variety of tales (much like this site) concerning perhaps both ghosts and imaginary friends. These are stories told by persons who have lived it and both their CHILDREN, and they pulled through unscathed.
In the meantime, I suggest you pick up a copy of Kids Who See Ghosts:How to Guide Them Through Fear, Nurture Your Child's Gift:Inspired Parenting, or Raising Intuitive Children:Guide Your Children to Know and Trust Their Gifts (all three by Caron B. Goode) at your local library or free exchange program.
To believe in ghosts or not is your own personal thing. Background has a LOT to do with it (**nudge, Szaffi). If a person has personal experiences, if their culture supports it, if the family does, friends and so on, it is a bit more easy to accept. If you are the only one you know that MAY have a gifted child (and do not have gifts of your own~heck, even if you do), I would suggest you start seeking out peers. SHOULD it become evident that your child HAS a gift, then a good support group, or just group of people you can be candid with, comes in quite handy.
Good Luck, Hun. Do not jump too quickly, sit back and be still. It will become clear.
Wado.
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
Good Lord, whatever did I do to be accused of "not being able to read", being a "stupid American", and someone assuming I have kids?

Oh well, as the great Shakespeare once said, "Aye me, what fray was here? Yet tell me not for I have heard it all. Here is much to do with hate, but more with love."

Let's bury the hatchet and give more of the helpful advice that the beloved contributors give to the site. ❤

104- Sorry for hijacking your page, I just felt the need to give my 2 cents and confirm my reading ability that was previously questioned... 😉
whitebuffalo (guest)
+3
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
Ok, Szaffi? Zip it.
I see you going all over the board here to make your OPINION known, but I see NO where where ANY of your opinion is based in fact. I did not read ALL of your comments, 'cause honestly, I got ticked off enough after a few "...take the child to psichologist" statements, I just had to respond.
So you are a nurse. Working in a hospital? Kudos to you. But I am so glad that my child will NOT be in your care (as per YOUR comment of "Luckily it won't be me who is going to have to deal with them."), as a hospital employee should have COMPASSION for others, and not condemn them to the fate of their Parents ignorance.
I am QUITE sure you have encountered children who have no kind of support at home. I am also fully positive that you MAY have encountered a child or two who were suffering from delusions. The fact of the matter is imaginary friend or NOT, the Mother of this little girl came for HELP, not for someone to blow up their page with half baked ideas of superior knowledge.
I have five children. Two of whom I firmly believe have talents of one sort or another concerning the life impaired. One sees, and hears. The other full out communicates.
WE have dealt with the other children. WE have dealt with their parents. WE have dealt with the teachers, neighbors, counselors, psychiatrists, psychologists, sociologists, neurologists, parapsychologists, medical doctors and even a few scientists.
I am pretty confident that I am NOT harming ANY of MY children supporting them. I WOULD be, if I pretended that their talents were imagination only.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
Szaffi, as a mother of 2, I have to speak out. I read your comments last night and kept my mouth shut, but you continued to speak your mind, so now I will mine also.

My children have been able to see and hear ghosts, spirits, whatever you choose to call them since they were little. My daughter is now 18. My little boy is almost 9. I would much rather my children know that what they see and hear is real, rather than tell them that these things aren't real. I am not the kind of parent who is going to tell my child they are imagining something when I know, in fact, that it IS real.

I feel you have picked a battle that you are not going to win in this forum. You have many parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and people in general who know what they see, feel and hear. No matter what you "know" or have been taught, you aren't going to "teach" us they aren't real.

I grew up not having anyone to tell me that what I was hearing was real. I won't do that to my children. Every child needs someone to believe them.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
Szaffi: There's a reason for sites like this...It's because people with the same mind-set as yours have told every one of us that there must be something wrong with us... We come from all cultures, religious back-grounds, ethinic groups, age groups, levels of intellect, educational levels, and societies... We all have the one thing in common: Belief in the paranormal...Why?...because we've witnessed it!...Not all of us after we reached adulthood... In fact, most of our experiences BEGAN in childhood!...

I agree that not every child that has an "imaginary friend" is having a paranormal experience, but has it ever crossed your educated mind that maybe MOST of them ARE, instead of MOST of them ARE NOT?...There are stories about very young children, under the age of 1 year, chit-chatting to the ceiling, or a curtain, or the corner of the room... Do you think a child that young has developed an imagination at that age?...Not likely...

Please understand we welcome skeptical views, but this subject is one that I think this community will not back down on, as many of us were told by adults that we were just "imagining" things... ❤
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
104--
My sympathies are with you in dealing with you never could have imagined you'd have to deal with when you were a kid!
I'd normally hesitate to jump in the thick of a discussion like the one I just read through, but I'd like to put in my two cents on the side of some of my favorite posters.
It's my belief that what damages a child is for a parent or guardian to deny what she or he experiences. Every child KNOWS what it experiences, and for the child's assumed protector to deny it, immediately discredits that adult in the child's eyes.
Adults sometimes forget how important their stature is to a child. Wise ones seem to learn to MEET the child where the child is, then to address the situation from a place of cooperation and strength, honesty and truth.
When children are asked to describe things, they must not be scorned, laughed at, or summarily dismissed. And they really can accept an adult saying, "Gee, I don't know, but you and I can figure it out together."
~ All the best to you. James
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
Szaffi,
I think you are unaware, just how many children grew up, able to experience the paranormal, having their parents telling them, "It's not real...It's all in your head" etc... These same kids grew to realize, It is not all in my head. These things ARE real... I can no longer trust my own parents with this very real and frieghtening problem I am having. Your argument is, these kids will take the supporting words parents are giving them, into their pre-school/elementary school, making other kids afraid of them, or having peers and teachers shunning them. I don't think you are giving these kids enough credit. If a child claims they are being scared by a person who lives in their closet, on a nightly basis... There is nothing wrong with a parent saying to this child..."Let us, tonight, go into the closet at bed time, and tell him to leave you alone, and leave this house" If this approach works for the child (and it often seems to be a solution, for whatever reason) What makes you thing a 3,4,5 year old child will remember this occurance, the next day, much less a year or two later... Remember enough to announce it to his/her class? Who will shun the child?
Now, your approach to the problem, would be to tell the child that no such man exists... No such man comes out of this closet... It is not real. That approach is the damaging one. That approach has, and still causes much pain in children who actually are experiencing something paranormal each night. Something with a solution as easy as a parent empowering this child, by showing him/her that you can confront the problem, telling it to leave the closet... Leave the house.
I suggest you stay out of the paranormal part of child psychology, and stick with the basics... Your approach to a child dealing with real, paranormal situation, is like throwing water on a grease fire.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
Szaffi, Just because you took some courses in child psychology does not make you an expert. People on this site have the right to give their opinion and to disagree with someone if it is done in a respectful manor. You are extremely disrespectful and seem to think that you have all the answers. I am sorry, but you need to keep that huge ego in check. If you want to bash Americans and call us stupid then please learn how to use the correct grammer and spelling of the English language. You are only succeeding in making yourself look bad with all the grammatical errors. If you want to be a participating member of this site take my advice and get off your high horse. There are no right or wrong suggestions here. If you can't handle other people's opinions then I suggest you find another site more suitable for your needs. Thank You!
Szaffi (37 posts)
-4
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
Shinigami0
Can you read at all? Or understand what you are reading? Don't think so. Then once agan for the dummie people. MOST of the kids. That means: NOT all of them.
I have studied children's psychology as the part of my nursing training. But you know what? The only thing what I can tell you: keep sticking to this bullshiat! But then don't be surprised if the nurses in the nursery or the teachers are going to take your kids to the psychologyst because of this nonsense rubish! It is really true that Americans are stupid. If you want to make serious demages to your children both on psychologycal level and with geting integrated into the community, then do it! Luckily it won't be me who is going to have to deal with them.
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
Szaffi- Not all children have imaginary friends. I didn't; in fact, both my brother and I thought it was a dumb idea. It could be possible that 104's child doesn't either. Children are more receptive to the paranormal, because they're more accepting of things. Teens are as well, because of hormones, inner turmoil, and changes to the body. When looking at these stories, one must consider all aspects of the situation; a skeptical aspect and paranormal aspect mixed into one.

104- Imaginary friends are a possibility, but if your child doesn't really do the "imagination" thing, then its time to look at other possibilities. I would take BadJuuJuu's and PrincessLotus's advice. They are long time users, have pretty sound advice, and they approach situations at different angles, including a skeptical angle, to get the most accurate plan of action.

If your child isn't just "imagining" things, then I wouldn't pass it off as their imagination. This could confuse and upset them, because you wouldn't believe them, if such actions are taken. If she sees another one, ask her to describe it, but certainly try not to suggest something that isn't there is. 😊
Szaffi (37 posts)
-4
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
Your child behaves the same way, as it is normal in a toddler age. To have fantasy friends. Especially if mummy is busy with something else and not playing with the baby. (Is a tipical psichological quality at this age. Having the reallity and the tales mixed up. You need to make the differences clear.)
Is one thing that I know that there are souls who are stuck here instad of moving on after death. But this, what you people are doing is nothing else but harming your children. On all level.

This comment from Szaffi is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
+4
14 years ago (2010-09-14)
My child behaves the same way during his toddler age. He will tell where the ghost in our house is. He will also tell me that a child ghost is there in our house. The child will not lie to you. If you keep on telling your child that it is just an imagination, you are just turning your child away and sooner or later she will no longer talk to you and the bond between you might be gone. Kids are more sensitive to the unseen than us. If the entity doesn't hurt your child then that is fine. If you think that the entity is doing bad things to you and to your family, then I will suggest that you lay down the rules to "IT". If your child has a gift like most of us here then support her. Remember that you are the mother and whatever happens, your child will turn to you and your love will protect her.

God Bless

This comment from Szaffi is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

This comment from Szaffi is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

nnlpeace (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-09-13)
My daughter is very much the same way. I wouldn't neccessarily jump to assume it's a spirit- at least not the first one she was chasing- it could have quite possibly been her guide... As for being scared it's hard to say what she saw... Just support her and teach her what I am working on with my daughter, that if they don't like what they are seeing or are being bothered teach her to tell the spirit to leave them alone. She has the power to send it away if she wants.
Whatever you do don't act scared, that will alarm her. Just be strong and be there for her and it will all be ok 😊
Szaffi (37 posts)
-2
14 years ago (2010-09-12)
caramelxkissesx

Just as rich fantasy they have. In their little head it is real, just like Ashmere said. Just because they see it, does not mean that it is there. I personally don't believe that there is any paranormal in this story. One more made up playing mate more. It would be a big mistake to go along these advices. Loads of little children are having unvisible, made up playing mates and friends. If 104 kept treating her baby like that she would make serious demages in her. Than the little girl kept on playing with the fantasy something, even after she started to go to community (nursery, pre-school, later school), the other children would laugh at her and not take her properly in, as in not playing with her. Hope you understand what I am trying to say. So be careful what you do.
Szaffi (37 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-09-12)
It is also true that little children have still wery colorefull fantasy. Are you shure that it wasn't "made up"? I mean made up by her fantasy. That's can be told normal in that age. I wouldn't be that shure that it was paranormal. (Sorry if I destroy your illusions.)
caramelxkissesx (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-12)
Like it was said in the previous comments, young children are very sensitive to the paranormal. Whatever it is that she's playing with, I don't think it means any harm but it wouldn't hurt to have an expert look at it.
Good luck. Be careful. (:
Olaf (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-11)
Hello. I can suggest that you read some of the books from author: Tuesday Lobsang Rampa.http://www.lobsangrampa.org/miscellaneous.html (I am sure you will find an answer to your situation with the child and his/her nature spirit friend).
Ashmere (11 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-11)
104,

This story sounds very interesting,
I too have young children,
But I personally do not think its is anything to be alarmed about,

The human mind is a very complex system,
I think you daughter was being tickled and played with
On a subconscious level,
With out realizing it,
Shes is playing with someone,
Who in her mind is as real as the keyboard I'm tying on,
When in fact that person is not there,

Alot of doctors refer to it as a coping mechanism,
As a child I suffered severely from AD/HD, and still have a lot of problems with it, but one thing I have learned people develop and implement coping mechanisms, its just a way to get through a rough patch.

But if it happens again, I urge you to get that video camera out and take a video of it or better still take a couple of still photos with the flash on,
Ectoplasm seems to show up better when the flash is on, but this is not always the case.

I do hope that what I have said helps somewhat,
Ashmere
Silene02 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-11)
Is good that you didn't show your baby that you were scared. Jusr try to act normal if it happens again. You should be alarmed only if your child is scared.
indig0c0gnito (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-10)
I enjoyed your story very much & I also agree with BadJuuJuu & LSD. There is something 'more' after we 'pass over', & children are still receptive to 'it'. I'm now witnessing the same experiences in my grandchildren that their father experienced as a child (AKA: read my story...;o)). Someday I'll have time to tell about the other things that we've experienced. And NO, we are not "Kooks" either, I'm a BA in psych and working on my associates in nursing & we're not religious. We do believe that someday science will be able to explain these phenoms, just like auras & virus' where once attributed to 'the devil' or 'curses'. Good luck, don't be scared. <3 ❤
BellaPhantom12199 (1 stories) (13 posts)
-3
14 years ago (2010-09-10)
the entity may have been a little boy or girl and it may have turned evil in the play time and got scared to this day I can see ghosts to I can even see auras and I see a lot of things so if it happens again ask her to take a picture of it and post it so I can see what it might be
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
Yes, children do have the seeing eye. Most of them anyway. My children do. Some times it's good other times not. Just ask like you would ask about her school teachers or friends. Be open minded & try not to make any impressions like, put something there that's not. You know? Like suggesting some thing. Just ask & listen. & bless your heart, I know how it is. A little creepy at times. But I have learned a lot about spirituality from my little ones. Bless you & yours. Much love.

~LSD~
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+8
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
Small children are very receptive to the paranormal world. They can see/sense things that adults can't. Most of us lose that connection as we age.
Judging by her reactions, it seems a safe assumption that there were 2 seperate presences. One she liked, one that scared her.
Keep an eye on her, and watch her reactions to the things you can not see. Ask her questions, like who does she see, are they nice, etc. Listen to her. Take her seriously. Do NOT tell her it's all in her imagination. She needs someone to confide in. Be supportive.
When she is frightened, comfort her. Tell whatever is scaring her it isn't allowed to frighten your little one, and it must leave.
One other thing to keep in mind. As children grow, the ability to sense the paranormal often fades. However, it can come back when a child hits their teen years. Being a teen sucks bad enough without being the only kid in class who can sense ghosts. Be there for her now, and be prepared to be there for her then just in case.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: