You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: My Cat's Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My Cat's Ghost

 

I was sleeping in my bed one night, and all of a sudden, I woke up and could not move. My 2 year old cat died about 6 months ago, she had a heart attack on the living room floor. While I was sleeping, I woke up and I felt like she was crawling on my bed, just like she used to do when she was alive. At first, I felt really comforted, because I miss her so much, and it was nice to feel her presence. Then it felt as if she had crawled right next to me and curled up leaning against me. She used to do that when she was alive. I was so scared I couldn't move. I had this weird, nervous feeling, and was completely paralyzed. I wanted to turn around so badly to see if it was her ghost, but I didn't know what to expect and couldn't move. Every once in a while, it feels like she is crawling on my bed, just like she used to, but that was the only time where I really believed her spirit was definitely with me.

What do you think? Was it sleep paralysis? Or was my cat trying to visit me?

Other hauntings by jessy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

merely_existing (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-11)
This is how my dad started becoming a little more open minded about ghosts... One night he was up late couldn't sleep and was loading the dishwasher and all of a sudden he bent down to pet a cat (brushing against his ankles) That wasn't there. We currently have a cat but he wasn't in the kitchen and a 16 year old cat of ours had recently passed. It sorta got him believing in spirits even though he don't want to. My mom and me have both seen and felt the presence of the ghost cat. I seen it once at the bottom of the stairs going into the laundry room where his food used to be and my mom seen it in her room. And every once in a while I feel a cat jump on the bed when my live cat is not in the room.
Lou85 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-11)
I loved reading your story and all of the advice people have put forward. I had to do some research on pets ghost, for I lost my beloved cat, Merlin over a month ago and since then my husband and I have seen him 3 times. Twice we have seen his big fluffy tail walking down the hallway and pass the bedroom door. On the weekend, I was washing my car and I swear I saw him walking towards me down the side of my car then faded away. I miss him like crazy each and every day. RIP Merlin ❤ ❤
coaltheblackcat (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
This is like my cat and I live in a no pet flat the cat lives in my room and is dead I think it's my first pet that is dead that will not let go of use your cat my be the same as my cat ❤ ❤
shiver222 (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-14)
Hello Jessy,

I think you really were experiencing the 'ghost' of your cat. It's likely the cat is with you often since her death but the time between waking and sleep is when you most readily experience the ethereal.

As you may know, often spontaneous Out of Body experiences (OBEs) occur upon first going to sleep, or waking. A common side-effect of an OBE is sleep paralysis.

It's very possible that you were looking through your spirits' eyes, so to speak. In essence, it would be like your soul was just lying down in your body and your body was still asleep. You were a "ghost" too and that's why you felt your dear cat on the astral plane.

If it interests you further, a very interesting book on the subject of OBEs (and even a bit about OBEs and animals) is William Buhlman's "Adventures Beyond The Body" http://www.out-of-body.com/

I recently lost my cat 10 days ago and found your story because my husband & I are waking up feeling his presence. So far my experiences are not nearly as pronounced as yours, but both my husband and I have heard him yowling (as he was prone to do randomly when bored) and felt him lying in the nook of our arms in the morning as we come out of sleep. (Also a favorite past-time for him ❤)

I agree with previous posters that it's truly best to acknowledge her presence and let her know that you love her. Then let her know that she is welcome to stay, but free to move on to her soul's greater journey whenever suits her.

I'm trying to project this message to my cat when I've felt him lately as well. But, oh - how it hurts to let him go. 😢
micheles555 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-21)
I just moved into a house about three months ago and also have a "visitor" some nights. I have had many cats in my life and I am very familiar with that feeling of a cat trying to find that comfy spot next to me in bed. I talk to it and try to get it to settle, wish I could pet it to help calm it. Welcome it, don't be afraid. It usually lies down sooner or later.
yurrei_neko (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-13)
okay,really freacked out right now my cat ghost has and is actually doing this right now. Okay so I going back to my home where my cat died recenlyly like at okay so he died demcember 18 2008 this year (i'm not going to say how he died cuase really sad) he was my best friend for 5 years and I'll never forget him but now I I have a new kittenand I now live in fl not in nc and sometimes at night when my kittens right beside me asleep I feel something aying on my feet it it poassable he followed meh form nc cuase he missed meh or what?
mommyof2 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-02)
hi, jessy, I had the exact experience! My cat died over a year ago, we had to put her to sleep because of heart failure: (. Then 3 months later, in the early morning, I felt like something jumped up on the foot of my bed (just as she had), and walk up beside me, and stop just as it got to my head as if to curl up beside me just as my Libby did. Although I could not move at all! I tried to yell at my husband to tell him Libby was next to me, and I could not even move my mouth or anything. I thought I was the only one, I tell lots of people about this and they probably think I'm nuts. But, I just know it was her! I can't explain the not moving thing though. She's only done that one other time, and the feeling wasn't as heavy as her first time. It felt like lighter steps. I always feel spooked for weeks after this happens, too!
PurpleSharpie98795 (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-28)
One of my cats died when he was 2! He had heart disease... Its a genetic thing with black and white cats... Your cat probably was visiting! 😊
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
Hi jessy, it ws probably definitely your cat. Just letting you know that no matter what she still loves and always will, and that she will always be with you. I think it is wonderful that your cat still comes around. She knows you loved her and always will.

Thanks for sharing 😊
brightstar233 (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
your cat must really love you and miss you like you do about her 😁 sometimes if you don't want somthing to leave they don't want to eather and they will see you
ElNino (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Cool, Jessy. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is convinced they've felt the presence of a dead pet. We, too, have what my daughter and I call our ghost cat. We have felt him (I assume it's a male... Just feels that way) pounce up on our beds and walk across our feet. Sometimes he'll lie right down next to us. We haven't lost any animals so it could have belonged to a previous owner. We do have two live cats and I have sometimes felt the ghost cat while lying down to nap and seen the two live cats sitting in the living room. They just glare at the bedroom as if they don't want to come in while he's there.

Once, I got tired of the feeling of the invisible cat lying on my ankles and I couldn't kick him off. I felt rather silly for yelling at him out loud - I'm glad I was alone! Finally, for some reason, I decided to yell at him in Spanish. "El Gato! No mas! Vamanos!" (Cat! No more! Go!) and he got up and left. Since then I've given him the name Jose Gonzalez and figured I'd just learn to live with him. He doesn't seem to hurt anything.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-27)
I think that your cat is there to let you know she still exist in spirit wise. And also that she wants to say goodbye to you only without you telling her it's okay to continue on her way she may stay there for a long time...
So next time you feel her walking or on you just tell her you love her and it's time for her to continue on her way. Many spirits seem to need to know it's okay before they can cross over even if the spirit is an animal.
El (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
My cat died about 10 years when I was 19. He was a kitten when I was little and we grew up together, he died my senior year of high school. After he was gone I saw him walking around my house out of the corner of my eye, then after about a month, he passed on and I never saw him again.

It is interesting that this was coupled with sleep paralysis. I'm still not sure what sleep paralysis is, whether it's biological or spiritual, but I think animals do hang around after they've died.
cordelia207 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-09)
your story is sad and happy at the same time. It makes me hope that when it is my cats time to go they will visit me before moving on in their next purpous in life whatever that may be.
BaD (4 stories) (54 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-09)
Thats so sweet, But I agree. Tell her you love her, and you always will. But don't TELL her TO leave, tell her she CAN leave. Don't make it an order, make it an option. And if you feel her. Do somthing for her? Try to pet her? She's comferting you, why not do the same for her :)
na32ru (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-17)
hi jassy I have a cat called fuzz and he died on my bed when I was sleeping and he died in his sleep and I can fill him on me so hes kinder garding you has the some has my cat fuzz is he is with me riht now siting on my lap so my none of cats will not come over to me
jessy (6 stories) (35 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-26)
I felt it again last night, and it was very comforting. :) I am really sick with the flu right now, so I think she just wanted to say "hello."
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-11)
I think that it was your cat, it's a possibility that it could've been sleep paralysis, but it's probably a little less likely. I think that it was your cat, spirits would have to be able to take on any shape if they wanted to be a cat, but I know that it's common a lot of people even see the spirits of there deceased pets and sometimes catch them on camera or just simply feel their presence. Martin's right, Jessy, you need to appreciate the presence of your cat but let her go though. You should pray for her, but I have to go, good luck
Ellie (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-10)
Hi Jessy,
I use to have the same thing happen to me when I was a kid of about 12 (I'm now 42). At first I felt the bed dip as the "cat" jumped up on the bottom of my bed, then it would walk up a bit and turn around a few times to settle down by my legs. I could also hear it purring. After a few nights I told my parents, who I'm sure just thought it was just a kids imagination ! My mum just said to talk to it an pretend to stroke it! so that night when it happend I plucked up my courage and did just that, I moved my hand over where it seemed to be and as I did so the purring got very loud. Unfortunately this freaked me out and I ran out to the bathroom where my dad was cleaning his teeth. He couldnt hear it.
It kept happening and I did become use to it. It finally stopped when I moved my bed to a different position?! weird huh.
chicano457 (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-10)
keep it up .thinking it your nice cat. did you ever go through all that when she was living. i don`t think so. its a evil spirit buddy .....seek help
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-02-10)
Hi jessy, the world between being fully awake and dreams is very full of potential, because, for a few minutes, we are open to the world of spirits without the worries of every day life. I think that, as you were slowly coming back to full awareness, you allowed yourself to feel the presence of your cat, who is still around you while she feels you need her.

Animals are generous like that, and it's a sweet thing. Enjoy her presence! If you feel a cat walking on your bed, just say "thank you for still being with me, I love you, but you can go now to your next purpose". She is watching over you, I am sure.

It's time for you to be generous yourself and let her go, also.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: