You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Strange Occurrences Over The Past Couple Months

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Occurrences Over The Past Couple Months

 

I've never been one to believe in ghosts. But I always thought if I ever encountered one, I would be terrified - well I was right. I like to think of myself as a rational person, but this is a scenario I can't make any clear sense of. You can trust that I have no logical reason to make any of this up. I wouldn't create an account just to make up a ridiculous ghost story. I apologize now for the length, I feel the need to explain everything, there are 4 different stories here. If anyone wants to know, I'm 20 and live in Windsor, Ontario.

It all started with my messy room. I came home and walked around my dirty clothes lining the floor. The closet doors were open, and I noticed something weird. There was one shirt, just one, hung up in the wrong area of my closet. One that I had no recollection of hanging. See, you're probably thinking okay you forgot you hung up one of your shirts. Well what I meant by the "wrong area" is that I have a very neat and organized way of hanging my shirts. Every type of shirt has its own section. I've been doing this since I moved in 10 years ago. This was in the entirely wrong section, and hung up right in the middle of my closet. I didn't really think twice about it, just assumed my mother (since I still live with my parents) had wandered in my room and hung it up. And then, a week or a couple of weeks later the same thing happened. So I went to my mother and said "why do you keep hanging my clothes up? I have a way of doing it, and it's always one thing why are you doing that?" and of course, she was very confused. She said she never hung anything up in my room. This has happened other times, but I never actually witnessed any of them being hung up. I recall about 6 times, at least, all with different types of clothes in the middle of my closet or on the knob. This lasted a couple of months, perhaps up to 6 or 7 months.

I never really thought that hard about these hanging clothes, and I made jokes that I had a ghost who does my laundry. I still slept just fine in my room, and didn't take it seriously. Not because I had any explanation, but because I lacked any belief. That was, until, the second incident. I need to back up a bit and explain to you that I lost my passport. I was going to cross the border that day, and I always have a certain place where I kept my passport. It wasn't there. I was desperate to cross the border that day though, so I searched everywhere. I tore apart every room in my house, even searching places I would have never thought to put my passport. I didn't just look that day. I had my whole family searching for it, until after a couple months I simply gave up and went through the painful process of acquiring a new one. That was approximately two years ago.

Now, a couple weeks ago I'm in my room again. I have a light that sits on my dresser, plugged in behind it. For some reason, it didn't turn on when I turned the little dial thing. I pulled the rest of the chord up to see if it was still plugged in, but it was. And then from the corner of my eye, what do I see sitting behind my dresser? My passport. At first I thought it was my new one until I opened it to realize it was the one I lost two years ago. And then my light flicked on, I didn't even hit the switch again. At the time, I was just very confused. My first thought was not a ghost at all, and then I blamed the light on a quick shortage (even though I don't remember it ever doing that before). I guess it took me awhile to realize hey wait... That's not possible. At all.

I can assure you, behind my dresser is one of the main places I checked several times. I pulled it out, I even pulled out the drawers, took the clothes out, looked in every single drawer. There is no possible way it sat there unnoticed when it was close enough for me to reach. But still, I slept fine in my room and talked casually about the idea of there being a ghost in my room.

About 5 days ago, I was spending the night at my boyfriend's house. I have spent a lot of time in that room, as we spend a lot of nights together. Let me just quickly explain that my boyfriend is not a liar. I have never caught him in a lie, never heard anyone claim he's a liar, nothing like that. I trust his word, and if I didn't have good reason to I would not be adding this to my story. He has class early in the morning for a couple of hours, so this day I slept while he went to class. I was very tired, we were up late. He says when he came back upstairs because he forgot his keys I was already asleep again. After he finished class he came back into bed soaking wet, and said "yeah it's pouring rain outside. You know what's weird though? My towel was hanging in my closet, I never hang my towels." Which he doesn't, he leaves things lying around just like I do. I kind of doubted him at first, but we both just fell back to sleep. I didn't even think about it that hard. Yesterday I really asked him if it was true. He said it was, and that it was hung up really neat. And I was there, sleeping, the whole time... He doesn't live with his parents, he lives with a friend of his. Why would anyone hang one of his towels, while I'm asleep in his bed?

You're all caught up to speed now, so I will explain what happened yesterday. This was a very very rare instance (I honestly can't remember a previous one) where the house was entirely empty. Normally, I am home alone a lot. But not without my dog. Yesterday, my dog was also gone and everybody had been for a couple of hours.

I was sitting on my deck listening to music for awhile. After coming in from outside, I wandered into the bathroom and went to grab my comb. But I'm clumsy and it slipped from my grasp. I bent down to pick it up and all of a sudden something smacked against the edge of my ceramic bathtub and landed on the floor. Now, this was a very loud sound in a very quiet house. Since I had headphones on outside, I had no noise to accompany me in the house as I normally have the TV or music blasting. I saw that it was the cover to our toilet paper holder. I picked it up, and placed it back on its stand when I realized how far away it was from the bathtub, and how there's no way it could have simply fallen that way. I'd say it's about 3 feet away, and the only way it could have hit the tile that way was if it was tossed across my bathroom.

After I placed the lid back on, I felt a huge wave of fear wash over me. This time, I was so afraid. I walked quickly out of the bathroom and turned around to look. I saw a shadow on the door, it wasn't very big. If anything, it looked as if there was something on my sink big enough to make a shadow. I didn't have the guts to go in and see what was making that shadow, but I assumed it was something else. Like the door was angled in a way that caused one.

Earlier today, I checked every possible angle of that door and looked for a shadow from where I stopped to look. There wasn't any size or type of shadow at all, at any angle. And now I'm very scared. This isn't even all that's happened, it's just the main things I have absolutely no explanation for. I had to return home last night after I got off work, and I didn't notice anything different but I had a couple of panic attacks being back in the house. Nobody was still home, and I can't remember the last time I was that terrified. I just felt as if there was something there, watching me. I got ready as fast as possible, and literally left my house before I even put my shoes on.

Every sound now that I hear makes me jump, every time I walk in that bathroom I have to brace myself, and check the curtains, check everything to see if anything is out of place. I check my room to see if anything has changed with the clothes, but none has since I found my passport. I'm posting on this site because I want to know what I'm supposed to do about it. My friend suggested I use a Ouija board, but I don't think I'm brave enough to try. What are you supposed to do? Talk to it? Please help!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, blackandbluelights, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
blackandbluelights - just my own opinion here, but I believe sometimes ghosts/spirits show themselves the way they want to be seen. If they were handicapped in life, maybe they don't want to be seen that way in their afterlife πŸ˜•. I'm still trying to work these thoughts and opinions out. They vary thought to thought sometimes LOL.

I saw my boyfriend's grandfather one night. It didn't even occur to me to question that he had both legs until my boyfriend's sister asked. Their grandfather had lost one of his legs, I believe it was to diabetes but it was so long ago I've forgotten. Anyway, he was standing on both legs beside his wife. These are the kind of things I wonder about. I know there are Biblical answers for this, but then that sparks another debate entirely.

So, what I took a very long time saying is maybe it could be your sister, but you are the only one who can know that. All we can do is offer our advice and help you the best we can.
blackandbluelights (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Miracles51031: I'm happy that you're happy then:)

I never thought about the fact that it could be watching me! Like, all the time! I guess it's a reasonable assumption but it's one I didn't make.

I definitely will not use a Ouija board, that was a dumb idea to begin with.

The 2-3 day thing sounds great, but I'm not quite sure I want it gone. After reading all these replies, I'm more curious now than ever. I want to make contact and try to see if there is a message I'm supposed to get? I don't believe in God, but I keep getting this idea in my head that it's my sister, who passed away when I was 4.

It sounds crazy, but I just keep thinking it's her. She was handicapped though, couldn't talk or walk or understand much. Maybe she was just born with a broken body, but a healthy spirit. I really don't know... Just a thought:s
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
[at] blackandblue - if I were you, I'd try rookdygin's cleaning method, or try smudging your space. Get rid of it. Just because a spirit wants to be acknowledged doesn't mean you have to do so.

Something that I've always heard: ghosts are here because they are attracted to the earthly plane. To acknowledge them feeds into that desire and prolongs their "stay", which is no good. They should move on to the next plane of existence.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
My guess is it wants acknowledgement. Its helping you with your laundry (whether you want it or not). It could be talking to you this whole time and you can't hear it, and its possibly frustrated that its efforts are going unnoticed, which is why it threw that toilet paper cover. That would be my guess at least. Just say something to it. Tell it you know its there and to not watch you pee or something like that. Maybe even writing the story down was acknowledgement so it at least saw that you know its there...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
blackandblue - by the way, I also agree with shellzy's point things happening for a reason. Sometimes our ghosts/spirits protect us by doing things just like that. Thought I'd add more of my "two cents" in here πŸ˜‰

And, no Ouija board... You are already scared enough. Nope, do not use a Ouija board. There really is no point in stirring up more fear, or Heaven forbid, something that isn't nice. There are other ways to make contact and if you really want to do it I, among others, can and will help you out. But please? Don't use a Ouija board.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
blackandbluelights - 😊 no, I didn't find your comment offensive at all. When I was your age, I'm pretty sure I reacted the same way πŸ˜‰ If someone had told me then that I would be the way I am now, there is no way I'd have believed them LOL. It is an interesting life, and I really do enjoy it 😊
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Blackandbluelights - Residual haunting means when you see an apparition e.g. It is a playback/recording from a past event the spirit may have done as a living person. It probably isn't that to be honest as this spirit is moving your stuff about.
I don't think you should stand in the middle of the room just to make contact. I know of some very brave people who - upon hearing or seeing paranormal happenings in their homes - just say out loud, "What is it what you want?" or "Go away!", just like they would speak to a living person.
Hope this explains it further for you. 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
blackandbluelights,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. What ever is happening it does not sound malevolent. Having said that it sounds as if your pretty shaken up.

While the things you are experiencing sound benevolent enough I offer you this Method to help ensure they stay that way. Please keep us posted.

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Respectfully,

Rook
blackandbluelights (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Miracles51031: Oh wow, I will never acknowledge it like that. I'm looking for answers not a house pet (I hope you don't find that offensive). But I will definitely respect it when I talk to it.

Galleygal: Just the idea of it scares me I think, I mean I haven't completely accepted the idea of there being a ghost that follows me places. But I don't think it's a bad ghost. I felt a presence with the bathroom incident but I didn't think it was going to hurt me. Also, my dog stares in places but he doesn't bark or growl or anything.

Shamby: From that description it does not sound like a residual one for sure. Yeah, I'm thinking a Ouija Board would be a bad idea.

Shellzy: It's just weird because that happened two years ago. Was it attached to me then? Some people have told me it might be a guardian but I'm having trouble believing in that...

Wow, you're all so helpful, thank you! Nothing new has happened since I wrote this though. Guess we'll see if it even comes back again.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
blackandbluelights

Some may call me a little crazy but I believe that all things happen for a reason. Perhaps your passport went missing that day because you were not meant to travel over the border? Perhaps someone was protecting you from a potential bad situation? Purely my opinion, but sometimes I wonder if there is a reason why these sorts of things (eg car keys) go missing at a certain time?
😊 😊
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
Welcome to the wonderful world of the paranormal!:] But in all seriousness, don't use an Ouija board, especially alone and especially since you're so new to the paranormal. I have heard way too many negative experiences, even though mine was an overall positive one, you can't predict what's going to happen and it might just make things worse.

And this is for sure not residual energy like Lakota suggested because its been trying to interact by you and followed you to your boyfriend's house. Residual would just be repeating an action over and over, like walking through the house, without reacting to any current objects, like your shirts.
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
[at] blackandbluelights - are you scared because of the weird events or do you feel a "presense" that inspires bad feelings?

Does the dog ever react negatively in the house?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
blackandblue - sometimes just acknowledgement is all they want. My little boy and I (my daughter still doesn't want to interact with ours) talk out loud to our "house mates." We have a little girl named Mary and a man I refer to as "Tuttle guy" because Tuttle, help and sh*t are all I've heard him say. Well, he did say "Roger" in my daughter's story, but that was more of an acknowledgement than as a name.

When I leave in the mornings I'll say goodbye and have a great day, just like I would to someone living. We also say "thank you" when they do something helpful, like putting your passport someplace you would find it (even though it was years later and they may have been the guilty party that "misplaced" it LOL). But we do treat them with the same respect we do living people.

I realize it's a lot different for me than you. I've been living with ghosts for longer than you've been alive πŸ˜‰ and at the beginning I wasn't like I am today, that's for sure πŸ˜† But I'm glad you're a little better 😊
blackandbluelights (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
Miracles51031: You are absolutely right, I've scared myself quite bad. I've been a little better lately since nothing else has happened, aside from going to sleep at night. I never really thought it would hurt me, but what could it want my attention for? I suppose there is nothing to really fear though.

Lakota73: I just speak to it? Stand in the middle of my room or something and just start talking out loud? I'm not quite sure how to contact spirits. Also, I don't know what you mean by it being "residual" if you could explain further I would appreciate it:) This is all very new to me.

Thank you both for your responses!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
blackandbluelights - your story reminded me of something my daughter experienced last year. We've always (well, for many, many years anyway) shared our home with ghosts and my daughter has known it since she was 14. But last year she freaked herself out pretty badly. Not to take up a lot of space here that may not be necessary, if you'd like to read about my daughter's experience, go to my profile and click on My Daughter's Scare.

I'm hoping it's the same thing with you. That because you realize there really is something there, even though it isn't showing any signs of aggression or any tendency to harm you or even really scare you, maybe you've done what my daughter did... Freaked yourself out. It's very easily done. And there's no shame in it at all.

It seems as if yours is doing everything it can to get your attention. Although I don't think it meant to scare you to death 😒
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
To be honest, I wouldn't use a Ouija Board. They are much too dangerous to use, even for those who know what they are doing and have experience in this type of attempted contact. The incidents do sound as though you are experiencing some kind of haunting, but it doesn't sound malicious - just playful and attention seeking. If you feel too afraid to speak to the spirit alone then you could always ask a friend or your boyfriend to be by your side when you attempt contact. It sounds as though it is trying to pass a message on. If not, then it may not even know it is bothering you and you could ask it to leave you alone as you're not comfortable with its presence. If asked, I believe most spirits will quietly move on. Another theory for your paranormal experiences is that the haunting could be residual.
I'm not sure whether it has something to do with the age of the property as you mention a similar incident took place in your boyfriend's home. Sorry I can't be of further help, but I do hope you get to the bottom of what it is that is making you feel uncomfortable in your own surroundings. Please keep us updated. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: