You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Don't Bother Knocking, Just Come On In

Real Ghost Stories

Don't Bother Knocking, Just Come On In

 

Let me start by saying this is my one and only story. I feel the need to post it here because it is the only one I cannot explain away and this is the only place I feel I can share it.

One warm afternoon (it's Texas, it's always warm there), my mother is visiting with my Aunt in the dining room of her home. I am sitting in the living room reading quietly because once you have said the proper "hello", a child is to make themselves scarce. "Grown-up talk" is not for their ears. However, I can catch bits of their conversation because the two rooms are only separated by a half-wall. My back is to that half-wall.

My Aunt may have been a spiritual person, but my Mom is definitely not. "Don't be afraid of the dead," she would tell me, "fear the living."

As the two women are conversing the front door suddenly opens and a wind swoops through the dining room, down the hall, and into the bathroom, then slams the door behind it. I go to the dining room to get an explanation and I find my Mother and Aunt sitting silently. Then my Mother laughs out loud; she is breaking the tension. She shows us the goosebumps she has on her arms. The hair on her arms is standing straight up. I realize my Mother was scared and that scares me. My Aunt simply says, "It's my daughter." My Aunt had a teenage daughter who died in a terrible car crash not too far from home. My Aunt then stands and goes to close the front door. She returns to the table and they continue on with small talk and I go back to my book. We never speak of it.

If you would ask me what it felt like, it didn't feel like a person or a presence. It felt like a concentrated, purposeful energy. Wind is energy. And since that time I have seen the wind slam a door shut on several occasions. But not since that time, have I seen the wind open a latched door.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lo-maximo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-16)
Lo-Maximo,

I don't scared usually. But some times, a small movement in the corner of my vision, when I am alone (sometimes a page of a book, moving in the wind, a shadow falling) could get me scared giving me a tingling on the back of my neck. Its quite natural for humans to get scared of naturally occurring events.
MOLLICALAZZARO (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-15)
Fantastic writing style, concise and straight forward. Are you the ghost of E.Hemingway?
Lo-maximo (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-13)
AzraelX I doubt my Mom was that influenced by my Aunt, just because my Mom tends to be such a practical sort. She was truly freaked out by the occurrence. You are correct though-- my Mom's reaction was key. Had my Mom not been scared, I probably would have thought nothing of the event and would not even remember it today.
Lo-maximo (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-13)
ghstwrld there could have been another window open in some other part of the house. The house was long with a series of rooms. It was like two houses mashed together. The house had a history which I didn't mention in the story. It had been the office of a doctor. From the looks of the structure, the doctor probably had his office in the front and then lived in the back rooms. So there is a possibility that a window was open somewhere in the back without anyone knowing.
Lo-maximo (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-13)
If I remember correctly, my Aunt always kept the front door closed and latched. That was why after the "wind" swept through the house, she got up to close it pretty quick. The front rooms of the house were cooled by a window unit. Both doors (front door and bathroom door) opened into the rooms. Yes the bathroom door slammed shut. It is possible that there was a window in the bathroom and it could have been open. I can't remember one but that could simply be because the window wasn't in my line of vision as a child. There is every possibility that a weird vacuum was created. But it was a weird vacuum that swooped in through the front door into the bathroom and then slammed that door shut in the opposite direction.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-12)
In my current house, we have a front door, and there is a door that opens into the courtyard from my bed room. If any door is not closed properly or latched and if I open and close the other door, the 1st door could experience a jerk.

Physical explanation - Assuming a room with two doors. There is air inside the room. When you open and then try to close one door, the movement of door will force more air into the room, this increases the quantity of air inside the room. The increase in quantity of air in the room exerts pressure on all facets of the room. It could cause windows to open, if they are not closed properly. It will forcefully apply pressure on doors that are not shut. In case of doors opening outwards, the additional pressure could cause the door to swing outward with a jerk.

Something similar must have happened in your case.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-02-12)
Lo-maximo, if I understood you right: the 'wind' opened the front door (I assume inwards?) but then blew shut the bathroom door behind it? Does that door also open inwards? (Same direction.) Now even if I say, perhaps the latch was faulty, if the bathroom door opened in the opposite direction of the front door the odds of it blowing that door shut too are slim to none, unless some sort of vacuum had been created in its wake. Very interesting.
ghstwrld (1 stories) (22 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-12)
Are you sure there wasn't a door or window open in another room?
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-12)
Well... Your mom's friend believes that it was her deceased daughter who came in the form of a wind and opened the doors etc.

The sort of temporary hysteria transferred on to your mother and she becomes scared.

You, when noticing your mom looking scared and hearing from her friend that it was her deceased daughter who came in the form of the wind, naturally the temporary hysteria sorts of transferred to you, making you too believe that it was indeed a spirit and you became scared.

Just my opinion.
koalagirl (3 stories) (111 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-12)
what a great story, a found it very interesting, well said and written, I enjoyed it.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
Wow. A simple story, well told. I'm sorry you don't have more tales to tell. Thanks for sharing this one.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: