You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleep Terror

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Terror

 

My story starts some 20 years ago when I lived in London. My girlfriend had gone out with friends for a meal. I was tired and got an early night. I had a mug of tea as usual before bed. I read a little then went to sleep. I quickly fell asleep as usual. But this night I was awoken abruptly. Someone was in the bedroom and they were attacking me. I was terrified. My heart was bursting out of my chest. I had never been so scared. I was desperate for breath. My mystery attacker was pinning me down. I was lying on my front and it was hard to breathe. I could feel the weight of my assailant on my back, crushing me. It seemed like an age until I could reach the lamp. When I did - nothing! No one there! Not a thing. I looked at my watch, it was a little after midnight. I checked the house. All was as it should be. Doors and windows locked. Everything as it should be. I was frightened. I had never been as afraid as I was that evening. My girlfriend returned home shortly afterwards and was taken aback at the state I was in. I would of been in my mid to late 20's and slept with the landing light on! I never forgot that evening.

Years later I glanced at an article about 'Old Hag Syndrome'. It really made sense to me. At last I realized that lots of people had experienced very similar encounters. Forewarned is forearmed as they say...

I left London and moved to the Lake District. Life was good. The usual good times and the not so good times. Just like anyone else. But in 2008 the 'attack' happened again. I was awoken in very much the same fashion. As before I was terrified and shaken. These nocturnal attacks continued for years. It was like having someone trying to pull me out of bed. And they were strong too. On one occasion I saw what appeared to be arms coming through my bedroom wall! This was the only time I actually saw something for sure. The rest of the subsequent attacks I saw a dark shape but it was not by any means terribly clear.

Over the years I actually got used to it. My young son made a very realistic wooden sword at school. When he was at his mothers house I had the idea to keep it in my bed in order to 'fight back' with my night time antagonist. When I felt the attack I would reach for the sword. Sometimes I actually felt an arm stopping me. But as the attacks never lasted long I was used to it. However on occasion I did get it and would say the Lords Prayer in an attempt to stop it forever. But after a while I just let this being have its little moment of glory. After it had stopped pulling I put the light on for a few minutes. I could feel it actually weaken every time I did it until in the end it vanished forever. It is now two years since I have been visited.

Am I the only one to have had this kind of 'battle'? Has anyone else had something similar? I would love to know I really would. The odd thing is that I actually got rather used to it. Like a mischievous child in some ways. It would be great to know if anyone else has experienced something like this.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, johndecourcy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MrMRJ (1 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-09)
Sleep paralysis, not uncommonly, potentially a night terror... Something is playing on your mind, it comes out in your sleep... It is scary, but nothing more than your unconsciousness still being active in your sleep
wth_devildog (2 stories) (17 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-02)
johndecourcy,

I recently just published my story of similar events. You should take a look at it sometime. I have only experienced it once. Regardless, it was very terrifying. I'm glad you found a way to weaken the spirit until it no longer had control of the situation and left for good!

Cheers!
Skullprit (1 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-31)
Hi John
I've experienced the same thing when I moved to a new flat, and the housing complex is in a semi-remote area. Though at the time being built there were only fields. I used to have sleep paralysis EVEN during my afternoon naps (I'm quite a sleeper). They used to be horrific, and a woman wearing red wedding dress, or sometimes plain white used to haunt me during the paralysis. It used to the same with the workers and guards at the complex site when it was being built. But now it's peaceful, after I started my prayers in routine. Hail thy Almighty Lord.
Bastet (2 stories) (25 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-31)
Hi there,
I also think this might be more common than thought. My Mum and Gran had experienced something similar. A year ago (completely out of blue) my workmate told me similar story. We discussed this with her, and It almost seems that this is most likely to occure if you are fighting some heavy emotions (depression, anger, self-hatered etc.). It seems that those feelings make it easier for those entities to attach to you; at least this is the common thing between the people I heard this from.
I think there even was something like documentary released about this - called Nightmare (2015), where several people share their stories.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-29)
Hi Johndecourcy

Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS. You are definitely NOT alone in what you experienced. There are many stories on this site regarding these assaults where people can't seem to move. There are differing opinions about what these events are and what causes them; I guess everyone's experience is different.

I was attacked one night by an entity many years ago. I wrote about it in one of my stories; "Night Attack". It was probably the most terrifying thing I have experienced (um...maybe apart from a static-line parachute jump I once a did a while ago😊)

My experience was bewildering but I was further bewildered by the apparent involvement of a then-current flat mate.

The entity that assaulted me seemed to run out of energy or something as well. I attempted some kind of prayer because of the sheer malevolence emanating off of the creature, and because I couldn't move, I kind of had no other option.

Thankfully, that was a one-off event a long time ago, but I feel sorry for you if yours was an on-going situation. That must have been very unsettling.

Regards

Mack

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: