You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Egyptian Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Egyptian Room

 

Past the white bike, under the double bridge, over the train tracks and across from the construction vehicles. That's all I remember on how to get to my uncle Cheese's house. His name was actually Scott, and he wasn't really my uncle. He was dating my aunt Nancy and I loved them. Their house, however, that was a different story. I was still nine years old, the same summer as the bank man chasing me from the Tea Room. My sister and I were excited to spend time with our aunt and uncle in their new home.

I suppose it wasn't so much the house that scared me at first. More like what was in it. We settled in that first night and ordered pizza. We played games and watched movies. My uncle would have to get up early the next morning for work so at around midnight (what I thought was late back then) we all decided to call it a night. We headed up the stairs slowly; I let my sister take the lead. It was dark so I stalled several times until I saw the lights ahead turn on. Relief came over me as I stepped into what would be our room.

My aunt was a flight attendant, flew internationally. As part of the job she would have long lay overs where all she would have to do was shop. Her favourite place to go was Egypt. The culture and the people fascinated her and she more or less became obsessed with it. Every trip she took there would supply her with tens of twenties of smaller items and at least one large one. The room where we slept was filled with Egyptian paintings, statuettes, musical instruments, and hieroglyphics. There was so much to look at that I was excited to fall asleep in there that is until the lights went out.

My sister fell asleep quickly though I tried my hardest to keep her attention, to talk to me as long as possible. It was no use. She was gone and I was now alone. The blanket was green and knitted. It seemed no matter how hard I tried I could not layer it enough to shelter me from the room. Hours passed me by. Above the covers I starred at the ceiling trying to avoid the things moving at the corners of my eyes. The ceiling could not shelter me from the sounds. The room slowly started to fill with sounds of the instruments lightly playing themselves. There were sounds of voices that I couldn't understand. I sat up and looked around the room. Everything was untouched! Who was making the music? Who was talking? It seemed for hours the music would start, and stop. Start and stop. I even left the room several times to see if music or a television had been left on somewhere else in the house. Up to three searches left me with nothing but the sounds in only that room. Fear and curiosity more curiosity than fear I suppose. I stepped back into the room and listened to the voices and notes. And only when I stepped out did the music stop to a sickening silence.

My eyes adjusted to the little light the early morning could provide and I stared again at each of the little men on the walls and on the shelves. Slowly... They began to move. Their eyes followed each other, and myself, and my sister as she adjusted in her blanket. Fear slowly started to overpower my experimental curiosity. Statues do not move. Even as their eyes gazed at me I felt no reason to flee, to run. The music started to sooth me even. Crack. I heard it clearly. Crack. I heard it again. There was a statue, a larger one that had kept my attention most the night. The crack came from around him. Many little statues were placed around him (my aunt's twisted symbolism. She may not have gotten the gift but her weirdness was off the meter).

The voices got louder as the drum beat quickened, and then I saw it. Their arms began to break from their bodies. I screamed and jumped from the bed and ran for the door. Breathing heavily I felt dizzy, unbalanced. Before I could step foot into the hallway a woman stood waiting. Starring sternly at the statues and decorations. It was almost as if she was silently lecturing them. Her eyes we deep brown, almost black and they sparkled.

Her makeup was nicely done. Her hair straight and held back by a golden band, hardly dressed at all. As my eyes fell upon her she looked past me, at the room and all in it. The woman didn't notice me there, or my sister lying oblivious in the bed. She only saw the room and her objects. I closed my eyes tightly in hopes that when I opened them she would go away. She did not. "hello?" I spoke. Still the Egyptian woman could care less of my existence. It was at that moment I no longer felt afraid of her.

Elegantly the woman turned on her feet and walked down the stairs slowly vanishing into a light mist. Just like that, I was alone again. The sounds of the music were gone, and the voices faded. It was silent. Though the woman didn't scare me now, I still feared the noises and artefacts. I stayed in the hallway until my uncle got up for work. When he asked me what I was doing I remember I stalled. I didn't know what to say. What was I doing?

There was no one in the room, and I had just seen things move. My mother would understand but no one in that house would. No one in that house had been through it before. My aunt and my sister were born lucky. They didn't have to deal with it. But still, I was nine. Little kids are supposed to be scared, I thought. "I don't like that room. I don't want to sleep in there" I told him.

He smiled some and took my hand. What he told me next made me feel normal for the first time in a long time. He told me..."I don't like that room either, weird things make for a difficult sleep" he told me looking back at the room. He never said it word for word that he experienced something in that room but in his eyes I could tell. My uncle led me down stairs and set me up on the couch. He kissed my forehead and left for work. The sun was up, and the day was starting and I well... I was just getting to sleep. Every so often looking at the foot of the stares hoping to catch a glimpse of the mist.

Other hauntings by Tempe_Toxic

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tempe_Toxic, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
Cool story! I envy people with such vivid experiences. I hope to have something interesting happen one day. I've had a few minor events, but nothing like a number of people here have experienced.
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
I love Egypt but I think this would be too much for myself as well! Especially if you if you need to sleep in a room with so many different statues. It'd be really creepy to have all of those eyes staring at me! Be safe! ❤
Tempe_Toxic (10 stories) (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
No, she never did, my aunt never stayed with anyone long, she is a swinger to this day. I always wanted to talk to him about it but he no longer speaks to anyone in the family 😢
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-26)
Hi Tempe - great story! Creepy, too. I went to Egypt a couple of years ago and brought back some things, too, and had some weird experiences.
So - I have to ask - did your aunt marry Uncle Cheese? Did you ever get a chance to ask him about his experiences?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-20)
Tempe_Toxic,
Hey! We aim to please! You haven't read my new one yet, have you? It's a little different than my others, but it took nearly 40 years to figure it out.

Jav

It's on my profile page. "Spiritual Hitch Hiker" 😊
Tempe_Toxic (10 stories) (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-20)
Jav,

You are so darn welcomeing it makes me smile every time I get a comment from you! It for sure makes my days. You have great opinions and such a positive energy, its nice to read comments like that. Thank you so much for your support and reading all of my stories it feels great to know wonderful people like you are out there and understand.

-Tempe
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-19)
Tempe_Toxic,
I can identify with your aunts fascination with Egypt, I find everything about it endlessly engaging.
But this one freaked me out! The arms were breaking off?! Holy S--t! Just thinking about how it sounded to a nine year old girl is enough to make a person go screaming into the night!
But what I thought was cool, was the woman who came in like a mom to her noisy brood at bedtime, and shushed them. I wouldn't want to go back in there either.
Sounds like your uncle was giving you some validation, huh? We need more adults like him around when kids need a strong steady presence to make them feel they aren't alone.
I liked this one, very mysterious...

Jav
Cholulteca (148 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-08)
Thank you for your story and yes, nice writing, keep it up!:)
Tempe_Toxic (10 stories) (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
Thank you very much, I am pleased that so many of you are interested in my stories, and the way I write them. I was worried at first it wouldn't be accepted.
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
You have a very interesting story here and an equally interesting style of writing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: