You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Visiting Another Time, Another Place In France

Real Ghost Stories

Visiting Another Time, Another Place In France

 

I am writing my story here as many a time I have thought about an experience that happened to me and my first wife (now divorced) which occurred over 20 years ago (1992) on our honeymoon in France; the experience of which still haunts me.

As weddings go we had a very sweet affair that took place outside of Paris, France in a small town in a beautiful French country restaurant. As the evening festivities were going on, we did a very traditional departing from our guests and bid them farewell as we had a long 2.5 hour drive to the coast. Our thoughts on leaving our guests were that we wanted to spend the night in Dieppe, France, which is a coastal town, and then the next day proceed in a lovely drive along the coast of France to reach our honeymoon destination, which was Bruges, Belgium where we had booked a week's stay at the Pullman Hotel.

As it was late, and we wanted to be careful as we drove, we did not take the autoroute (main highway) but drove to our destination along what is called in France the old national highway. It was a longer way of going but the evening was beautifully warm and so we took our time and drove with the car windows open, admiring the tree lined road, all excited about reaching our hotel, the Hotel Windsor where we had booked the honeymoon suite.

When we finally reached our destination, we drove into the town and we were very interested to see how medieval the town's appearance was. It reminded me very much of the Canadian city of Quebec City, as it had a very old gate entrance which we passed through and there were cobblestone streets and many turrets rising from various fortress-like structures. It was, though, completely void of lights and completely silent. On first impression it was sort of eerily quiet and dark and so I was thankful that the moon was shining brightly, as it was sort of our guide to navigate the twists and turns of this medieval city.

As an aside, I don't remember saying much of anything to my bride or her saying much of anything to me as we drove down these strange streets but there was something definitely in the air, something that was sort of unsettling; a feeling in the air but nothing we spoke openly about. I remember feeling how odd it was that we didn't hear anything or see anything: no cars, dogs, cats or other people, but chalked this up to the time of evening. It now was probably getting close to 3:00 a.m.

When we finally stopped the car out-front of the hotel, we couldn't really find where to park our car so we drove it some distance to where we could leave it safely along the coast. As we walked back to the hotel, the only thought we had was a good night's sleep and so as far as the car was concerned, we felt that would come back to get it when we learned about where the car park was; so "no matter" we thought. Other than that, I can only remember the romance but the deathly quiet of the evening as we strode hand-in-hand along the moonlit streets.

As we arrived and stepped into the hotel, what we found was a very old-fashioned dark lobby with potted palms and old tufted red velvet button furniture and a very plump man with a funny moustache, the kind people wax at the ends who, as I recall, was wearing a vest and a collarless shirt. This man who was sitting at the front desk didn't really have much of an expression but I figured it was very late and he probably was very tired. Oddly though, again there were no lights on except the light of the candle that was burning through a glass-type lantern that was on his desk. But no mind, we had finally arrived and were looking forward to getting into our room and so, in my broken French, I asked about our reservation and the gentleman promptly turned an old ledger that was in front of him and handed me a pen to sign. The only odd thing we felt at that moment was the kind of pen which was given to us as it was the kind one would use to dip into a pot of ink. But thinking all of this was very quaint and a traditional French way of doing things, we did just what he showed us to do and together we excitedly signed our names as a newly married couple.

After we signed, the man said nothing to us but simply lifted a bell off his desk and rang it and soon appeared a very young girl dressed in what were best described as traditional clothes. I remember her hair was put up in a very odd sort of way and she wore a white cap on her head that was sort of resting on it and that she had a very long dress that went to the floor. It all sort of looked "of a period" but what period I was unsure, but felt that it was probably in keeping with some sort of tradition of the region in which we were staying in France and felt again that it was all very charming.

I do remember, though, that the girl's appearance was not lost on my new bride as she began speaking to me in English about it and I remarked to her that I'm sure this girl understands English as this was a coastal town and a hotel for goodness sake, and so I sort of hushed her in a polite way as I thought maybe the girl would be offended by our comments. But I have to honestly say it was very odd and hard not to discuss her appearance and had us really wondering to ourselves as we were led up a winding stairs by candle light to our room.

As an aside, I do remember saying to my new bride that "perhaps this is what this hotel is known for" and pointed out the very positive rating which the hotel had received in the guidebook I used to book the room. But I clearly felt the need to say something as this unsettling feeling was getting to me, and so I felt the need to sort of reassure her that all would be fine and that the hotel would be great. I literally was putting on my best face in what seemed to be developing into an odd situation.

When we arrived at the room, the girl took the key from my hand and proceeded to put it into the door's lock. She turned what sounded like a very heavy lock and then clicked the latch but had trouble opening the door. No words were spoken when she handed me the candle so she could push the door open using both hands. As she pushed, I remember to my astonishment that the door squeaked and squealed across the floor as it was literally scraping the floor. And so really I didn't know what to think and as I had the candle. I was astonished and amazed when I peered into the room only to discover two single canopy beds. On closer examination the room was dusty, I could see the dust and how it collected from the door pushing it like a snowplow. The room was also cold and damp and most horrifying there was a cobweb that strung itself from one canopy top of one bed to another canopy top of another. The coverlets of the bed were like green velvet and, clearly, I could see a layer of dust covering them.

Sickened, I said to the girl, "This is our honeymoon. We simply can't sleep here!" After our show of angst, without saying a word, she nodded and pulled back the door and locked it. And so we descended back how we came, down the spiral stairs. But when we arrived at the reception there was no old man at the desk anymore and so we just left the key and walked out of the hotel.

Tired... Exhausted... At our wits end and me perplexed trying to explain to my new bride my poor planning, there was little to do except go back to our car and think next steps. As this was before blackberries and the like where we could start scouring our iPad for an alternative place to sleep, we really had no alternative other than to just put our seats back in our car and rest and wait until the morning. And so we decided to hotel search in the morning's light, which was now only a few hours away. And so we both drifted off to what was a very uncomfortable sleep in a small French car.

When morning came and we awoke, the day was bright and beautiful and to our luck in front of us not too far was a beautiful hotel. We walked inside and asked if, by chance, they had a lovely suite or even a room which we could have immediately. I started to explain to the man at the desk that we just had an awful experience at the Hotel Windsor and we were on our honeymoon and just needed somewhere to stay so we could take a shower and relax. We really were desperate and I'm sure this was the impression we gave as we were still in our wedding attire.

But as I waited for a response, the man at the desk looked at me confused and really perplexed. I remember saying to him, "What's the matter?" And he said very strangely, "Where? Where did you say that you had this bad experience?" And so I said, quite sternly, "THE HOTEL WINDSOR!" To which he replied, "But, sir, THIS IS THE HOTEL WINDSOR."

Not knowing what end was up, we simply went with the flow and waited for the man to ask our names and tell us, "We still have your room if you are willing to pay the late check in fee." Dumbfounded...Confused... We asked about the old hotel that was lit by candlelight where people wore traditional dress. The man at the desk said that he "knew of no hotel like the one we were describing." When we insisted that he should know of such a hotel as it was only walking distance from where we were, he again said, "There is no such hotel and perhaps we were mistaken..."

Exhausted, we made our own way to the suite and fell into a deep sleep that we didn't wake from until dinner time. While getting dressed, and wanting to get to the bottom of things, we discussed with each other that we should try and find this old period hotel as it was surely in close proximity to where we were. And so we left our hotel, not only to find a restaurant, but with a mission to find this period hotel.

To our astonishment, we walked both ways and several directions but no period hotel was there. In fact, the features that we had so clearly noticed about the town when we entered it the night before, i.e. Twisting cobblestone streets, no lights, towers were not to be seen.

When we finally settled to get something to eat, we peppered our waiter at the restaurant with a zillion questions like: if there was such a period hotel in the city? Or perhaps was there a movie being made in the city at the moment? Or had the city been in blackout the night before? But again the answer to all our questions was "no." No one had any idea of what we were speaking about.

Bothered by the strange looks we received from people we asked or friends that we told about our experience, we soon chose not to speak about it anymore.

Today, I honestly am still bothered and shaken by this encounter. I often wonder what would have happened if we would had stayed the night... Thinking would we have found ourselves trapped in another century... Another time?

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Jetson

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jetson, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

STARRCHiCC14 (31 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-05)
Reading this again atm ❤
Still my favorite story here since 2012. ❤
Nataliciousss (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-02)
Fascinating experience! And great narration. I wish we'll live to see the explanation to all these!
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-09)
thanks Jubeele... I have to say that having this quality, that of being able to remain calm in crisis; that my friends have come to admire. I suppose I learned this from years of sailing and other advertures (horseback riding, climbing, etc.) with my father who challenged me to think in crisis.

As for the experiences renovating the Victorian house... When I have time I will try to capture the events and write it down. As there were so many events and details, many of which were not mine; it will take me time to collect these and my thoughts.

Thanks for providing the link to 'ghost buildings'... Reading it I was amazed to learn that the author had no sense of dread in his encounters... An emotion that engulfed me and my then wife while we navigated our way in and out of this mysterious hotel and town.

Yes... I have to admit that we both felt as if we were part of some sort of timeslip or 'wrinkle' in time as you say which allowed us to step back for a moment. My then wife always thought we were playing out an event that had happened to us in a previous life. As for me I am unsure of her interpretation as the experience seemed totally unwelcoming and not familiar (the surroundings of which were totally foreign to me).

And finally I will read "A Terribly Strange Bed" and let you know!
Jubeele (26 stories) (886 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-06)
Hi Jetson

It's wonderful how you brought us back to France with your vivid description. It reminded me of the time I spent there a few years ago; those old cobbled stone streets and the rich sense of history. Do you think you were caught up in some time eddy and slipped temporarily into a wrinkle in time? I thought you were admirably composed despite your sense of unease. If I were to be caught up in any strange event, I'd certainly want you around to help keep everyone calm.

I'm glad you didn't remain in that dust-covered room from the past. Who knows what else might have happened? I kept expecting someone looking like Vincent Price to emerge from the shadows and address you in sepulchral tones: "Good evening". Have you ever read "A Terribly Strange Bed", an old classic written by Wilkie Collins in 1856, involving a visitor to Paris who had a nasty encounter with a strangely constructed bed? <shiver>

On another interesting slant, someone has posted an account of seeing "Ghost Buildings":
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25029

I really enjoyed reading about your Victorian building in your comments on Emma's account, "Biter".
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25137
But I'd love even more to see your account in its entirety. Can you please copy and post those experiences again and publish it under your name? I hate seeing it 'buried' among all the other comments. It deserves attention all by itself! 😊
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
Hello Txcowby8... Yes I have to say that what is familiar about the illustration which you provided is the tightly packed feeling of the houses/buildings which we struggled in our car to navigate... That being the twists and turns to get to our destination. It was only arriving at the seaside that the town development opened up and it was then that we felt as if we could breathe and this allowed us to park the car and walk back to the hotel. Overall driving in the town made us instantly feel that it was unfriendly to cars. It was therefore very striking in the morning when we awoke to see a busy thoroughfare of cars and traffic of all sorts which seemed not to exist the night before.
Txcowby8 (3 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Jetson awesome story. So much to contemplate. I found this picture of old Dieppe what do you think. Http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/dieppe-port-1860-france-19th-century-detail-dieppe-chteaumuse-de-picture-id453999927
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-27)
No worries at all Melda! I actually find that often the discussions one has on this site are as interesting or more interesting than the experiences being commented upon. As for past lives... Yes I totally understand when you speak about 'soul mates' as I have encountered a few in my life as well. Like Randy had mentioned I wonder if we are not somehow connected to those in our familiar circle... And choices and actions we choose to take today are in some way reflections upon choices and actions we had made in our past (life/lives).
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-27)
Jetson - As this seems to possibly have taken a turn towards reincarnation, I would like to add something. As I have stated in another post just a few minutes ago, I haven't done much research on anything, I simply go by feelings and a few random experiences of my own.

I don't want to detract from your experience Jetson, I have already replied to you on that!

I met my husband when I was 16 years old, married him when I was 24 and we have now been married for 43 years. We were drawn to each instantly at that young age. I know many people hate the term "soul mates" but that is what we are (despite all the arguments we have!). Those who have never experienced it won't understand what it means.

When I was pregnant with my second child I wanted a daughter, I already had a son. In those days it was impossible to determine the sex of a fetus. When I was in labour I told the doctor that if it was a boy, he could put it back. Needless to say, it was a boy.

When they put that child in my arms, I cried with pure joy because I felt as though I knew him. In fact I know without a doubt that I knew him. I was so pleased that he wasn't a girl. As time passed there was this almost tangible connection between us and still is.

Three years later I did in fact have my longed for daughter 😊

I apologise if this is off topic but the comments seem to be leaning towards reincarnation, which I tend to be "on and off" about. To be very honest, I'm more on than off!

Regards, Melda
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-27)
Thanks Randy... I am beginning to think that there is something to perhaps we are connected to 'soul groups' as you say. For this I have one personal example...

In my last job I had regular dealings with a co-worker who worked in another branch. We only though ever communicated via telephone or email. When I got moved to this branch and started to interact with her she after a year or so said "you know something... I used to not like you... But now dealing with you face to face I have come to appreciate working with you".

When I asked her why she didn't like me... She said she didn't have any professional reason to not but it was just a 'feeling' she had inside her.

As this broke the ice... We soon talked regularly on other things other than work. And then one day she started speaking about her Russian heritage. This was not evident to me as she had married and had a Anglo-Saxon surname.

Her Russian heritage though was amazing to me as I too had ancestors that lived in Russia before the revolution and during the time of the Czar. To make a long story short she mentioned that her grandfather had been a revolutionary and he had been caught and hung for attempting to kill the local governor.

After learning about the town (area) from which her ancestors came I had the opportunity to ask my grandfather about his father and it is there I learned that he was the local governor for that area.

To my amazement I realized that my ancestor and her ancestor must have crossed paths and because of this something in her dna took an instant dislike to me... With her not knowing why.

I later wondered did we somehow complete the circle and create harmony for her and me to reconcile feelings of bad blood that happened over a century ago?

Something surely for the windmills of one's mind... Perhaps we will never know why these conicidences happen. Thanks.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-26)
Jetson

Thanks for your comments

There is a popular line of thinking for many who are willing to accept reincarnation. That being that in the spirit world we first tend to gravitate to those who think and feel as we do. Kind of a "birds of a feather flock together" type of thing. It is further speculated that spirits return to the same soul group of which they belong. Many believe that sometimes more than one from that group will come live a human life together and take on different roles in order to be together and learn together. For example. 2 spirits from the same group may incarnate on earth at or near the same time in a pre planned scenario such as one being a parent or spouse of the other. After that life is done and having returned to the spirit world the same two may plan another life together on earth in different roles. Maybe siblings or spouses. It's often thought that's why sometimes two people on earth meet each other and have a very strong yet unexplainable attraction to each other. Or
"Soul mates" as is often said. The two have a very long bond and history in the spirit world and maybe even from sharing different lifetimes on earth. However during the most recent or current incarnation all of that is masked and people can't quite make the connection even though they just know there is something special about a certain someone.

I have no idea wether it's true or not but it certainly is a fascinating line of thought

Have a great day and thanks for your input into this discussion

Randy
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-26)
Hello Randy1, Manofan, and Macknorton,

First, thanks so much for your comments... All amazingly brilliant. You are quite literally touching on subject matters that is above my own reason of thinking. I liken it to conversations I used to have with my great uncle who was a research scientist and worked on such things as experimental radar and code breaking during WWII. At times he would go on tangents that would have me thinking and re-thinking until I thought I could answer in a proper way as not to show my ignorance or lack of understanding.

So here goes... To answer your questions... And to not repeat myself I am going to quote what I wrote in my comments previously...

1. Genetic Memory - In your experience Macknorton, Wreck72 wrote to you speaking about "Genetic Memory (which) is a long standing theory at this point and is still researched to this day. It started based on Monarch butterfly migration patterns because they migrate the bird where groups fly back and forth from the same locations each year unlike birds though the die off each migration so generation 1 flies from point A to point B then reproduces and dies"

For me and my experience with my then wife... We pondered... And now I am quoting from my comments first made five years ago "the only thing I can also add and this is just another out of reach thought is this. My first wife and I had always been drawn to each other. It was a strange experience to meet her as I felt that I had always 'known' her. After driving leaving the coast and driving towards Belgium we encountered many war cemeteries from the First and Second World War. For some unknown reason I was very overcome by seeing these graves and memorials. More so than I should have been. I found myself easily moved to tears as I walked the countryside of northern France and Belgium.

While on our honeymoon my wife had a strange dream. She told me that she had dreamt that we had been lovers during the war and that she saw an image of me killed on the battlefield... Lying face up with a helmet on and chin strap around my neck.

Walking around Bruges on our honeymoon she remarked... 'could our experience in Dieppe be recalling some past life of ours'... A life where we had lived and had stayed in that hotel room... A life that was interrupted by war and then allowed to play out once more."

2. Apparitional Drama - Manofan1 you ask, "Do you recall anything odd or "off" about anyone you spoke to that night?"

For me and my experience with my then wife... And now I am quoting from my account first made five years ago "As weddings go we had a very sweet affair that took place outside of Paris, France in a small town in a beautiful French country restaurant. As the evening festivities were going on, we did a very traditional departing from our guests and bid them farewell as we had a long 2.5 hour drive to the coast. Our thoughts on leaving our guests were that we wanted to spend the night in Dieppe, France, which is a coastal town, and then the next day proceed in a lovely drive along the coast of France to reach our honeymoon destination, which was Bruges, Belgium where we had booked a week's stay at the Pullman Hotel."

I'll add - There was simply nothing odd about the day to us. Nothing off putting or anything that might have made us feel 'strange' about the goings on. We had thought about our wedding for many months and the planning to us went very well and so we were extremely pleased by how it all turned out.

3. Self Hypnosis - Randy1, you write in Macknorton's experience "If you consider how our minds can go into a type of self hypnosis at times. Such as when we drive the same route to work each morning We get there safely because a autopilot of sorts kicks in but we don't always remember each stop light, other cars, pedestrians etc It could have been something like this that allowed your mind to relax enough and let you re experience the first camp because you weren't really remembering it with your normal brain memory but re experiencing it with your true consciousness

For me and my experience with my then wife... And now I am quoting from my account first made five years ago "As it was late, and we wanted to be careful as we drove, we did not take the autoroute (main highway) but drove to our destination along what is called in France the old national highway. It was a longer way of going but the evening was beautifully warm and so we took our time and drove with the car windows open, admiring the tree lined road, all excited about reaching our hotel, the Hotel Windsor where we had booked the honeymoon suite."

I'll add - your comment Randy1 had me thinking about the possibility of being self hypnotized as I remember the drive as being very 'warm' and completely 'relaxing'. With that feeling being absorbed into us, I wonder did we fall into some trance and fall asleep and then as Manofan1 writes we were "drawn into the "apparitional drama" which was then played out.

4. Similar experiences - for the past five years I've found a few experiences similar to mine... I list the links here again:

Link to the BBC television show that speaks of two couples who visited France and stayed in a period hotel, only to not find the hotel on their return to England.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynw4Z09LMVc

Link to show which has comedian Jimmie Walker who experienced visiting a place (a diner in North Dakota) and then returned only to find no such diner.

Http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2lnabs_celebrity-ghost-stories-s05e02-marisa-ramirez-jimmie-walker-lisa-vidal-and-kate-vernon_tv

Thanks again to you all for your thoughts and comments... Simply amazing and fascinating conversation
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-24)
Hello friends
Sorry I couldn't get back for a bit but life's been hectic the past few days.

As Manifan mentioned we did continue our discussion about this thread via email.
1st off I would like to clarify something
As Manofan correctly brought to my attention I wrote my comments in a way that implied what I was offering was straight up facts. That was not my intention. As I told him when it comes to the subject of the afterlife personal opinion is the best any of us can do. Even though a person having a Near Death Experience can be a great source of information they didn't cross a point of no return so they didn't fully die. Those that cross that line can't return to share what they learned. So in truth I really doubt that we will ever be able to state with 100% certainty whatever takes place. Only when each one has that experience will we know the answer. Therefore I want to be clear that anything that I offer on YGS is my personal opinion. My opinions are formed through a lot of reading of different sources, TV shows, (serious ones, not the Ghost Hunter kind) personal experiences, and my research group. When I start finding strong correlations on a particular idea then I start forming my opinion. That said they are still just my opinion and should only be taken as such

I would like to re visit DNA recording
I think I can see some very good reasons for it
As I stated the idea of recording on DNA one must also consider it working along with the idea of reincarnation. Manofan, I believe you stated that you could see no need for a spirit to need a recording device. I agree. The information may need a place to be stored though so it could be reinserted into the next human life. Since our DNA is a blueprint of who we are physically and who we are physically related to I can see it as a way to carry the information along our physical selves in our life times on earth.

To all.
I truly think one of the hardest parts of trying to understand the paranormal and the way things work on the other side is us being limited to our mortal way of thinking. We are trying to understand rules and concepts that may not be limited to the rules of our 3D world. I'm reminded of how in Quantum Physics an object can actually be in two different places at the same time. For me at least my mind isn't set up to grasp that concept. Or possibly being able to go to a place instantly by just a thought. So often I hear mediums say that we need to free our mind and think outside the box in order to help us see how things we think are impossible are very possible. The hardest thing for me has always been trying to bend the spirit worlds
Way of doing things to fit the mold of how I understand things to work.

Great discussion
Best to all
Randy
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Mack--There doesn't need to be a motive. Many paranormal experiences, for instance the husband and wife in this account, happen to be in the vicinity of a location an "agent", or in other words the consciousness of a deceased person, is focused on. To quote good old Tyrrell again, "the bystanders, if there are any, are drawn into the apparitional drama because it is dramatcally necessary that they should be. The theme or motif of the drama requires it. The idea in the agent's mind, which started the whole process going, was the quite vague or general idea of being in the place where Mr. X, his friend or relative, is. But IF the agent really were in that place, and IF there were other persons present, then he would have to be perceptible to these other persons as well as to X.

So (to bring up two earlier mentioned terms Tyrrell uses) if the Producer and Stage Carpenter know their job, it will be arranged that the apparition is perceptible by all the persons present." He further writes, " it must be remembered that so far as these 'mid-level' constituents are concerned there is supposed to be no sharp line between one personality and another. If the theme or motif requires it, the apparitional drama can be arranged cooperatively by the mid-level constituents of several different people. The result will be a collective apparition."

So in Jetson's case he and his wife just happened to be in the right place at the right time. There was no motive per se, it was just dramatically necessary that they be drawn into the "apparitional drama" because they happened to be there.

I dig this theory and hope the above quotes help explain it a bit more in depth.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Hi Manafon

This thread is very interesting for sure, and this point you have shared I have a comment:

"However your case reminds me much more of a retrocognitive hallucinatory experience in which people are caught up in a collective "apparitional drama" in which potentially multiple telepathic "themes or motifs" are sent by, in your case, the consciousness of the dead to you and your wife's minds."

However, for me, the big question is motive. Why would this extremely complex, elaborate and undoubtably technically difficult task be performed on random people. What would be the motive?

I'd like to read more on Tyrrell as he sounds fascinating but that's the initial thought that struck me on reading your post.

Regards

Mack
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Jetson--Your account is a truly intriguing one. Randy and I continued a conversation inspired by your case, and similar types of experiences, via email. I wanted to keep the conversation on YGS but Randy is involved with a research group that desires privacy. Although Randy suggests that all our memories and those our ancestors are recorded on our DNA, there is no such theory that I have been able to find. Is it a possibility? Yes. However your case reminds me much more of a retrocognitive hallucinatory experience in which people are caught up in a collective "apparitional drama" in which potentially multiple telepathic "themes or motifs" are sent by, in your case, the consciousness of the dead to you and your wife's minds.

More specifically, G.N.M. Tyrrell postulated that the message being sent, "may have great emotional intensity, but it's intellectual content is very general indeed. Before the apparition can occur (which, by the way, can be as elaborately detailed as your example Jetson) this general theme or motif must somehow be specified and made concrete. It must be worked out in detail. And then, further, details must be actually presented to the percipient's consciousness in the form of a determinate and highly complicated visual hallucination, so arranged that it will fit in with the visible scene which the percipient is aware of at the time."

Tyrrell goes on to state that the original sent message, in your case the old inn and its occupants, is an impression which provides only the general outline of the plot. As he states, "to work out the details we must postulate some further entity or factor that Tyrrell calls 'The Producer'. But even the task of presenting it still remains. This task is assigned to 'the Stage Carpenter'. The Stage Carpenter's function is to bring into existence just those hallucinatory precepts which the Producer's plan requires."

The Producer that is referred to here would be the initial message sent that you and your wife's minds completed. Tyrrell writes, "The Producer and the Stage Carpenter may be thought of as psychological constituents of the percipient's personality, constituents of it which operate in a quasi-autonomous manner below the level of consciousness." So, in other words, you and your wife would have unconsciously helped create the entire scene, or drama, you were caught up in.

For more details of this brilliant theory please check out Tyrrell's important book "Apparitions" which can be found quite cheaply online. Cases very similar to yours have been reported many times at Versailles. Much like your case people there have spoken to and interacted with what were ghosts but of a telepathic nature. Eleanor Jourdain and Anne Moberly in their famous book "An Adventure" described a visit to Versailles in 1901 when they became caught up in an apparitional drama that had them seeing the grounds and the people as they were during the time of Marie Antoinette, circa 1770. They communicated with "people" there but Jourdain reported that two men they spoke to answered a question concerning directions, "in a seemingly casual and mechanical way."

This seems to suggest that although people can theoretically communicate with the hallucinatory people, or apparitions, they encounter, they are able to answer because it's a logical element which functions to complete the drama. Do you recall anything odd or "off" about anyone you spoke to that night?

This is kind of heavy stuff but what I think you and your wife encountered was a very compelling apparitional drama. I personally don't believe that what you and your wife saw had anything to do with memories stored on your DNA. Also pointing in the apparitional drama direction is that it is almost always reported by two people and sometimes even four. Cool stuff Jetson. Wish I could have experienced what you did!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Jetson - Thanks for responding.

Obviously I don't know what your ex had to say about the experience but I do accept your take on it.

My daughter-in-law and her family do not believe in the supernatural at all. So coming from them, I totally believe their experience, as I do yours!

Regards, Melda
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Hello Melda... Thanks for your comment and story. I have to say that what you dughter-in-law, her sister and parents experienced was very similar to what I encountered all those years ago in France.

As time has passed I have to say I am no closer to understanding what happened to us but recently reading Randy's comments I wonder if we are not 'programmed' in some way to re-experience occurences that have occured in our past given the right situation or circumstance.

Another thought I have is perhaps my ex and I were lulled into sort of a hypnotic 'trance' where we woke the next morning not having ever set foot in a 'ghostly hotel' but merely thought we did.

The later though is hard for me to comprehend as we both had very independent actions on that evening, from worrying about our luggage to where to park the car and as we stepped inside the hotel we both had separate impressions. Impressions that we talked at length about for many weeks and months after.

As you say... These experiences are all so strange or what!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-22)
Jetson - I read your extremely interesting experience before I joined YGS. At the time I obviously could not respond to it.

My daughter-in-law, her sister and parents experienced something very similar. They were on holiday and looking for a place to spend the night. In SA we can travel very long distances, particularly in those days, without a hotel or motel in sight.

They eventually found a small hotel, virtually in the middle of nowhere. By that time it was quite late, about nine at night. There was no electricity. They assumed that there had been an electrical breakdown for some or other reason. They were shown a room with two beds and left there with a lantern. The four of them had to share two beds. The room apparently was quite clean.

They got up early the next morning and headed to the next town, which apparently was close by, for breakfast and to fill up the car to continue with their journey. They mentioned this strange place to the owner of the cafeteria and he said he had never heard of it.

They found the experience so weird that they asked the owner of the garage about it as well. He had lived in the area all his life and he told them that no such place existed.

So yes, I totally believe your experience! Are these things strange or what? 😨

Regards, Melda
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-25)
It has been five years since I wrote my experience and out of interest looking back at the comments I noticed one from Texangirl94 who asked me at the time if I had seen the movie 'Midnight in Paris' and which I did not answer.

In answer to your question, recently I was able to watch this film and I did see some similarities but the main difference between how the movie portrays its story and what we experienced is that there was nothing 'fun' about our experience as to us it was something terrifying to be part of as we were overcome by emotions of foreboding, death-like heaviness and an overall dread
STARRCHiCC14 (31 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
Re-reading this story over and over again.
Still my favorite story here so far.
<3
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-15)
Hello Fergie... Thanks so much for passing on this story. I read and re-read it with interest. I suppose like this couple's experience what has stayed with me all these years is the definite feeling of knowing what I saw and what I experienced was real. It was not an experience to be forgotten. Recently I found this experience of the comedian Jimmie Walker who experienced visiting a place (a diner in North Dakota) and then returned only to find no such diner. Here is the link:

Http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2lnabs_celebrity-ghost-stories-s05e02-marisa-ramirez-jimmie-walker-lisa-vidal-and-kate-vernon_tv
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-24)
Hi Jetson, I hope you get to read this. I was browsing on an Australian site when I came across this story. I think you will find it interesting.

Driving through the town from another time

In 1995 a family on a regular journey from the north of South Australia down to the Barossa Valley passed through a small town they have passed through many times before. Only this time, something was very different. The following account was reported to paranormal.about.com.

"I was entering a straight level stretch of road from some hills. I could see the small town ahead called Allendale North, which is just outside of Kapunda. Looking ahead, I could see a large group of people milling about the hotel. This interested me as there had only ever been a couple of cars outside the hotel at anytime when I had travelled through.

"As I got closer, I could naturally see this group in closer detail. These people were at a fair of some kind; I assumed that this gathering must have been a reunion of some sort. Every person was dressed in early 1800s style. Very Victorian-era dress sense. I needed to slow down, and recall on my left was a horse and buggy. As I travelled through the group, there was a boy about seven years old holding onto a woman's hand, who I presumed to be his mother. He watched intently as I approached and drove past. I watched him as he was close to the road. He was dressed in a navy blue sailor outfit with white frills. He had the most penetrating blue eyes. No one else seemed to notice my travel through the group, but his eyes did not leave me..."

"...My wife stirred and asked where we were. I told her and suggested we stop... At which point I looked in the rear view mirror, and saw an empty main street."

Did this family briefly travel back in time as they passed through the town? And what was the experience of the young boy holding his mother's hand? Was he the sole witness to some strange vision of the future?
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-09)
hello 'notjustme' no sadly I haven't come across any new clues to explain what happened to me all those years ago. And I haven't had the opportunity to return to Dieppe, France. Thanks for asking 😊
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-04)
hi Jetson, have you had any new clues or luck with your search lately? Do you plan to go back there any time in the near future?
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-04)
yes 'notjustme' I continue the odd search and come back to this site every now and then to see if anyone else has experienced a similar experience to mine.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-19)
Thank you Jetson. I'm so glad you still come on here from time to time. I really enjoyed your story and saved it a couple years ago. I can tell your incident left you craving for answers 😊, just as I would be too. Very fascinating indeed. Will see you around!
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-08)
the link to the time slip story which I had posted about two ladies who witnessed an air raid on Dieppe France while on vacation is no longer working, but I was able to find the story here:

Http://www.hypnotherapycourse.net/articles/articles84bb.html?category=367536&artcid=3675103757

As mentioned, perhaps Dieppe France is a unique place where these type of time slip incidents are able to occur.
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
since writing this story I have been able to find the link to the BBC television show that speaks of two couples who visited France and stayed in a period hotel, only to not find the hotel on their return to England.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynw4Z09LMVc

As well, here is another report of a time slip occurrence happening in the French town of Dieppe.

Http://www.ghosts.org.uk/ghost/2988/timeslip/time-slip/dieppe/france.html

Perhaps France and in particular the town of Dieppe is a focus for such happenings.
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
Thanks NorthCoastie... Your story of the Ohio Amusement Park was great to read and yes I totally agree that it has some very close similarities to what I experienced all those years ago in Dieppe France, especially the part of handing over of the key. Thanks for sharing.

As for the gentleman with the moustache that took our reservation all I can say is that he seemed not at all surprised that we were checking in. I wanted to say that there was some great acknowldgement of us but he was very expressionless and oddly quiet about the whole thing. I don't know about what the practice was for paying up front or paying at the end of your stay but I do remember checking my vest pocket for my id as I walked along the streets as I was expecting them to ask for it on registration. But as I said nothing was asking and it was all chalked up by me to the thought that we were the last of the guests to check in and were expected for that evening.
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
Thank you Starchicck14... Yes it is and was at the time very intriquing... It is sort of best desribed as like a 'windmill of your mind' something that you can turn over and over and over again but really there seems to be no answer and perhaps that is why it has remained in 'my system' - as you say, for all these years.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: