You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost in the Dark

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost in the Dark

 

I have always been a believer in the supernatural but never really had what I would consider an "experience" until I was 15. I was working in a nursing home as a dietary aide, my mother also worked there and had her own office, I had heard many stories about people seeing things or hearing things from many of the people that worked there.

One day I was sitting in my mom office behind her desk with the door closed and my sister decided to walk by, open the door, and shut the light off on me, at first I was like "ok yeah ha ha real funny", but then as I was sitting there in the dark I noticed a figure that I was only able to see because of the light shining through the cracks of the door, at first I thought it was something sitting on the desk I had overlooked, so I decided to reach out and see what it was, well my hand went through it, I wasn't spooked at first but then I sat back down and I realized I was looking at the head of an older woman, when that realization set in I booked it out of there, I told my mother about it and she said she has seen her on many occasions, even in the light, which I later found to be odd because going back in the office, I was able to see the woman only when the light was off and a small amount of light was behind her.

Everybody I showed her to was able to see her, it was like a moment caught in time or something, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience such as this.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Omniscient, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-08)
If a residual haunting is just an imprint, a recording on the air of our time, would it dissipate if your hand went through it? I am thinking out loud here as I agree with the other posts on here, but that is interesting. If you think of watching a film like in a movie theatre, that could be possible. Seems I keep learning more (and questioning more 😆) as I keep reading through. Thank you.
Omniscient (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-28)
This Happened About 8 Years Ago, I Havent Been There Since But Yeah I Thought For Sure It Could Be Actual Proof of The Other Realm It Was So Freaky But So Cool Also, I Dont Even Know If The Place Still Stands Hmm Mite Have To Check Into That
futureghost211 (4 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-22)
How long ago did this happen? I ask because if it were a few years or so ago, maybe you should go back to see if it is still happening. If it is and if other people have seen it, then it could be evidence. Thank you for sharing.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
I would agree with the other comments that this is an extremely strong residual haunting. The imprint the lady left must be very, very stong for this to continue to occur. It may be she either resented being there to a strong degree or loved her time there to a strong degree, leaving this imprint in time.

GOd Bless! ❤
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Hi Omniscient. This story is really strange! I wonder why your Mother can see this woman in the light but you can only see her in the office and only in the dark. I wonder why this woman's head didn't disappear when you touched it. The only explanation that I could think of, besides something scientific, is a residual haunting. What else could it be? Thanks for sharing your story. Please keep us updated on this if you find out anything new or if something changes. This is interestingly odd! ~Shelby ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Hi, Omniscient. My first thought on your story is that there may be some kind of silhouette that you can only see in the right conditions. If everyone can actually see the same thing and only under the same conditions and when ever you go to show someone it is there, then you might want to do a few experiments. I think you believe what you have seen to be a spirit and, since you were there and have witnesses, I won't discredit your story. Don't be offended, please, because I'm not saying I don't believe you either. This takes place in a nursing home, the potential for wandering or lost spirits is tremendous. Thanks for sharing your story and if there is more I'd love to hear about it!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Well now I am not sure, but this could be a very strong residual haunting. It is too bad that you don't know the name or the history of the lady who you are seeing. Maybe she really resented being there and in do so she placed a deep impression upon the surrounding enviroment. This is known as a residual haunting. I have just never heard of a continual residual haunting before. Though I am sure they do occur.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: