You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Haunted Painting?

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Painting?

 

Not too long ago, my aunt, who lives in Birmingham, England, purchased an oil painting by Sep Milner. I do not know this artist, but I believe my aunt bought the work in Holland. Anyway, ever since she put it up in her office at home, strange things started happening.

Haunted Painting

It began when my aunt started noticing weird lights in her office at night. Initially, she assumed they were just the headlights of passing cars or something, but the lights also appeared when the blinds were closed. Her 10-year-old son Simon began to complain as well, telling her that he could see blue flashes of light in the room. Despite a relentless search, no explanation could be found. The source of these flashes remained a mystery.

Oddly, my aunt's clients started complaining as well. Several visitors to her office told her they felt like they were being watched. They didn't mention the painting specifically, but stated that there was something behind them, a 'presence'. The only thing behind them however, was the picture on the wall.

A neighbor, who is supposed to be a 'sensitive', eventually claimed the painting possessed a potent energy field. He said the energy wasn't harmful, just very strong. Eventually my aunt made a photo of the work. The image doesn't show the lights or the flashes, but there is what is called an orb in the left corner.

I don't know what to make of it, or what these orbs are supposed to signal. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Joanne12316, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-25)
I find this article interesting. I remember my dad used to own a silk screened painting of a woman leading a mule somewhere from the 1920's and it really seemed to have some sort of energy to it. None of the kids could stand it because I remember being around it and got the distinct heavy impression of constantly being watched. I know the optical effects that can happen with eyes in a painting, but this was different.
Joanne12316 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-02)
Ginger,

Thank you so much for commenting. Your story is truly amazing. I was very glad to hear from you. I forwarded your comment to my aunt, I hope you don't mind.

So far, I have been able to find out a little more about Milner. There was a magazine article about him a few years ago, but it only appeared in Holland. From what I understand, he IS aware that these things occur around his works, but he is careful in dealing with them. He says he wants to be judged by the merit of the works themselves, not by their 'haunted' qualities. He has acknowleged however, that 'there is something in the paint'. Is has to do with the way he paints, and also the subject matter. That's all I can tell at the moment, but I will keep you posted.

Love, Joanne
Gingerrules (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-25)
Joane your story amazes me!

I am familiar with the works of Sep Milner, as my partner owns one of his paintings. A few years back (this is before we met) my partner started his own company selling designer furniture. Like your aunt, he bought a work by Milner to decorate his office with. The picture is called "Dream Dog", although no dog appears in the frame. I understand it is an early work but I'm not sure.

When we moved in together, the work was stashed away in the attic for a few months, due to some redecorating going on in the house. After some time, my son of 6 years moved into the attic. That's when slightly odd things started happening. I do not recall him seeing any flashes or 'orbs', but my son began complaining that the painting scared him. He claimed there were 'glowing eyes' in the picture, and that these followed him through the room. There were instances when he came to sleep in our bed because the 'eyes' were watching him again.

My partner and I have never noticed anything unusual about it, and we both just assumed it was his imagination. We removed the painting from his room, and it eventually made its way back to the office. Recently I googled the artist because we considered selling it. I was flabbergasted to find your story here, as well as some other accounts. There isn't anything I can tell you about the artist, but I would love to learn what else you find out about him. Can you keep me posted?
Thank you.
Joanne12316 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-05)
I see they put the picture up. The title of the painting, by the way, is 'industrial squeeze'. I've been reading a lot of things about orbs, but could someone please explain to me the possible meaning in relation to the painting? Does the painting produce them, or atract them, or is it something else?
Joanne12316 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-23)
Oh btw, I did include the photograph I mentioned in the account, but I don't see it patched in the story yet. Maybe the sweet folks with YGS are still working on it.
Much Love
Joanne12316 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-23)
Hi all,
I have been doing some research on Sep Milner, but cannot find any specific information about him, other than what is displayed on his site. To be frank, I don't know if he's alive or dead. It seems however, that other people have had similar experiences with his work. I'm planning to ask my aunt about it. I do know she bought the painting in an art gallery and not from the artist himself.
I didn't know about the Bill Stoneham painting. Thank you for that! My aunt is going to love it. Was the story about it really true or was it just a way to sell the picture? I don't think my aunt will sell the Milner though. She's much too excited about it.
Love Joanne ❤
Abercrombie (2 stories) (45 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
Is it possible Sep Milner died shortly after the publication of this work?
Terryberry (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
If it gets to where you want to get rid of it you should sell it on ebay. People will pay a bundle for haunted things for some odd reason. Just like that "Hands resist him" painting by Bill Stoneham.
ZUKISMOM (5 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
It is possible that like other objects it holds spiritual energy from the owner or the person it was made after. I have a portrait I purchased at an antique shop here in the states. It is painting of a very stern looking woman early 1800's she looks to be a woman of great power in her time. I was drawn to it above all the others I looked at. My friends who visit say she looks like me through the eyes and manner she holds herself. I find this odd and the more I have looked at her they are right she does resemble me in some way. Maybe that is why I was drawn to it. Like your aunt the painting may hold a special meaning for her that she is not aware of.
Jackashton (2 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-21)
It would be interesting to find out the history of this painting.As an artist myself I know what whitebuffalo is talking about A painting is more than the sum of its parts,its a creation,emotion is involved.A previous owner could also be involved,emotionally I mean.Good story.regards Jack 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-21)
Just curious, which painting did your aunt purchase of Sep Milner's?
The great thing about art is the power that the artist infuses into the work itself. There IS an "energy" about a painting, a life all it's own. I am not trying to insinuate that there is not an outside energy to this painting, I would have no idea, as I have not seen it, nor do I know of which one you speak. Unfortunately, if the photo shows an orb WITHIN the painting, it would be difficult to tell whether it is off the flash on the camera, playing with the oils in the paint, or if it was an actual orb.
Not trying to dampen your blanket, Hun, just trying to be honest.
Milners work is quite interesting. He mixes classical style with a bit of industrialization. It seems as if most people who have a pull to the arts seem to enjoy the classics and ponder the industrialization. But if you sit and just drink in the essence of the work, it is simply amazing. And THAT is the "power" of the work. That in itself, often puts viewers on edge, a bit uncomfortable in the same room as some paintings (i.e. They think the eyes are "following them" etc).
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: