You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Was It A Ghost Or Something Else?

Real Ghost Stories

Was It A Ghost Or Something Else?

 

All of my life I have had strange things happen. I did not understand them and for a long time never talked to anyone about it. First let me give you a background history of my family and myself as it pertains to the paranormal.

When I was 6 years old my mother had just had my baby brother and my uncle had died in a tragic boating accident. She was sleeping when she says she felt this "white" light behind her. She said that she was too scared to roll over, but felt it was my uncle trying to tell her something. When she did not roll over the light disappeared down the hall and stopped at my brother's room, my mother told me about it when I was grown.

When I was about 13 we moved back to my mother's hometown. It is a very old town, dating to the 1800's and is next to an Indian reservation. We moved into a house that I believe was at least 100 years old. It is one of those houses that have no closets; they lowered the ceiling with the fake tiles and had a wood burning stove for heat. My memory of this house is very limited; I know that my Aunt and mother would hear voices at night. The house itself had a bad feeling to it and not only to me, but to my whole family.

When you would come home at night and reach inside to turn on the lights you would feel like something was going to grab you. My grandparents house was just down the street and I remember a few times being over there with just my grandpa, we would hear a noise upstairs that sounded like someone was walking around. He would just say that it was the old lady (sorry I don't remember the name) and brush it off as something that always happens. The upstairs in their house didn't bother me except for one room, that room always gave me a bad feeling.

When you walked upstairs there was a room to the left, one straight head and a loft like room to the right. Only the room straight head that looked out to the garden bothered me, never figured out why. We moved out of our house after 6 months and my mother bought a house in town that our family had owned for years. Again this house was at least 100 years old (most of the town still has houses that are that old if not older). No bad feelings in this house, and for the most part I loved that house. For extra money I would help the elderly that lived in town with chores around their house. One couple I would go over and haul firewood into the house for them. They treated me very good and I really liked them a lot.

One night I was sleeping and had a dream that I saw flashing red lights and my chest hurt. I woke up very scared, ran to my mother, and woke her. I told her what I had just dreamed, I told her that I was afraid something bad was going to happen to someone, but I did not know whom. She took me into the kitchen to get me something to drink and to help me calm down. I think we were in the kitchen for about an hour when an ambulance with flashing red lights went by. The elderly man that I had helped passed away from a heart attack. I was so upset that I did not leave the house for at least a week.

We moved back to where I had spent most of my life, it was a bigger city and not that old. I was about 15 when we returned and started to hang out with kids that liked to go to grave yards and such. I discovered after hanging out with them that I would have thoughts of people I never knew when I would go to certain places and be near certain things. My friends at the time thought it was "cool" and thought that if we got an Ouija board that maybe with my "gift" we could talk to some people that had passed on. Yes I know that was a really bad idea now, but being a dumb teen I thought that nothing could hurt me. I was 16 at the time we did this and up to that point nothing bad had happened in my new house. After a night of playing with the board and nothing happening with it we decided to do it again. If I remember correctly we played with it 6 times before something talked to us. I did not believe at the time that it was real, since nothing had happened before and I thought it was one of my friends making it do it.

As time went on I quickly learned that something mean was in my room (which is where we played with the board) I started to have problems sleeping, strange things would happen in the house (things moved and would be found weeks later) and I started to sleep walk. Now I asked my mother if I had ever sleep walked before and she said I never did, but when I was sleep walking now I would come out and have conversations with whomever was wake (I never remember any of it). About this same time, and after the whole board thing, we (my group of friends) decided to go ghost hunting. We all jumped into the back of a pickup truck and headed off at about midnight to a house that everyone had said was haunted. Still believing that nothing could hurt me, we sat out there for an hour waiting for this ghost to show herself. When she did not and my friends were bored and ready to go, I decided that I was going to tell the ghost what I thought of her; Bad idea, I can tell you that I made her mad. That was my first experience with a ghost being able to touch you if they really wanted to. After that night I decided that I did not want to play with ghost anymore, but sadly the paranormal still wanted to play with me. Between the ages of 16-18 I had small things happen, I still was sleep walking/talking and still having dreams.

When I turned 18 I moved out and got married, my younger brother then moved into my room. After he moved into my old room he started to hear things and see things, but never told anyone. He started to have dreams that within a few days would happen in real life, shortly after that I got pregnant with my first child. While I was 6 months pregnant with my first child my uncle in law died in a boating accident. We decided that if we had a boy we would name it after our uncle. Sure enough it was a baby boy, healthy and happy. Within a week of bringing him home I had something happen that now I wonder more of what it was.

My husband and me were sleeping when something woke us up, now my ex says that we were dreaming, but how do 2 people dream the same thing? Standing in the doorway was this gray image of a man. How do I know it was a man? I do not know for sure, I just feel like it was, it was built like a man. It was looking at us and then turned and "blurred" down the hall. I got up and went to check on my son, who was awake and happy. I always thought it was our uncle coming to see his namesake, but now that I have read that white shadows are good and black are bad I wonder why he was gray. About this same time my brother moved out of my mom's house. He stopped having bad dreams he said and I stopped sleep walking. Two years later I gave birth to my second child. I was in the hospital that night with my new born in my room with me sleeping; I insisted he stay in my room with me. I woke to the door of my room opening, or at least that is what I thought had happened. I thought the nurse was coming in to check my vitals, but when I rolled over I saw this gray man again looking over my son and me. Again I thought it was my uncle coming to see his new nephew. He turned and walked out the door (ok the door did not open, but you know what I mean). I got up and looked down the hall; nothing was there but 2 nurses at the nurses' station. Of course they asked if I was ok and I told them I just wanted some more ice. After that time I did not see him again, not even when I had my daughter (but she was born overseas).

After my daughter was born I moved in with my mother who was still living in our old house. I did not have anything that I remember happening, but my middle child would cry if you tried to put him on the floor in my mom's room. He said there was "monsters" on the floor and they were trying to get him, but if he was on the bed he was fine. I do not know what he saw or if he really saw anything, but my mother said he described them as a troll like thing. My oldest son would talk to someone who you could not see; I thought it was his imaginary friend or something. Shortly after I moved in with my mom I got my own place and talked her into moving in with me to help me raise the kids. The last night that my mom ever was in her house was the first time she had something really bad happen to her. She was finishing cleaning the house, the last thing she needed to do was vacuum the living room. As soon as she finished she started putting things outside and came back in to do a final walkthrough. She said that she went into my old room and was about to leave it when she made a comment " I'm glad we are leaving this hell hole" (she didn't mean it to be hell, but just that it wasn't as nice as our new place) she said that something pushed her, she caught her balance and went to leave quickly and then she said she heard something say "get the F*** out". Well you can only image how fast she left, but as she drove away she said she felt like something was watching her from the windows.

When my first son was 5 or 6 we moved yet again and at this new house he would sit on our stairs and talk to a picture of our uncle that had passed away when I was pregnant with him. Now on that wall was many pictures of many family members and we had not at that time told him who that man was or if he was dead or alive. But if you asked him whom he was talking to he would point to the picture. He continued to do this for at least a year, after time I just ignored it since I did not think it was anything bad.

At about 3 months before my 25th Birthday I started to have nightmares (the same dream over and over each night), now I won't go into all the details about that because it still scares me, but I can tell you that they didn't stop until I turned 25. After the dreams stopped I never really experienced anything. Sometimes I would hear something or think I saw something, but never anything consistent until December 2009.

I have a little girl that is attached to the land my house sits on. She has been there for 10+ years now and has shown herself to my oldest son and played with my daughters toys at night. We also think that she tried talking to my mother, but my mother just thought she was imagining it. The house is owned by my ex husband, and 1 1/2 years ago I moved in to the house. My kids have lived in that house for 10+ years when it was my ex's week with the kids and they had always thought there was a little girl there, but their father said that they were dreaming and convinced my kids they were imagining it. They never told me about it or anything that had happened. My oldest son said he would see her, she is dressed like someone on "little house on the prairie" and would walk the hall between his room, my daughters room and my other sons room. She would also move toys from my daughter's room and play with her tea set at night. When I moved in I had no experiences what so ever, I never heard her or saw her.

Thanksgiving this year my son who is now 20 moved out. I decided to take his room since it is the warmest room in the house and I am always cold. On December 18th I was asleep in my room (my son's old room) and woke to a girl's voice saying "mom mom". My daughter had left earlier that day to go out of town with some friends and my son was sleeping over at a friend's house. At first I thought my daughter had returned home and was letting me know she was home. I got up and looked in her room, then I checked the living room and lastly I checked the porch (she will sometimes sit on the porch with the dog). She was not home and the only person that was home was my mother, who was sound asleep (she snores so I know she was out cold). I thought I was imaging it all so I went back to bed. Where I had my bed, if I slept on my left side my back was to the door and I was facing a wall. As soon as I lay down I had this feeling that someone (a small child) was standing next to my bed. I did not roll over to see if anyone was there. I guess in my mind, I knew there was not anyone living standing there and I was afraid to see something. Instead I told whomever it was that I was tired and wanted to go to sleep and to leave me alone. I felt that it did leave and I went to sleep.

The next experience was on December 20th, my daughter and son were both home that night, but my daughter had gone to bed early since she was so tired from her trip. Again I woke, but this time it sounded like someone was crying. I again went to check on my daughter and again found everyone asleep. On December 22nd (I believe that was the night) I decided that I was going to record while I slept to see if I could find out who she was and what she wanted. At this point I just wanted her to go away. I did not set it to record when I went to sleep since the kids were still up and I knew it would just record them playing video games. I woke up in the middle of the night, everyone was sleeping and I went to grab the recorder to start recording (nothing woke me up that I know of, I just woke up) as I reached for it I had this very strong feeling that I should not do it. For the first time in my life I listened to that voice and did not. The next day I told my family, my oldest had come over for a good meal, about what had happened and my oldest told me about the little girl. This was the first time I had heard about her and what she looked like.

So as a family we sat down and laid out the rules for the little girl. The next morning we woke to find my childhood teddy bear in the living room. All was going well; I figured I could live with her and since she is not causing us any problems why worry about it. A few nights later got me worried. Now I am not saying anything is going on, it could be that I overreacted to nothing, but with what has happened in my past it does make me want to be on the safe side. Again my daughter left town (she did not leave until 10pm) and my son was not feeling well so he went to bed at the same time my mother did (which was 8 or 9). I was in my room with my cat, who always sleeps with me and other than she will stare at what I think is the little girl, she has never ran away or hissed at anything. It was about 11pm or so and I started to get this feeling, I really cannot explain it. It was a feeling of worry, and at first I thought I was worrying about my daughter. At 1am my daughter texted to say they were there safe and sound and that she loved me. I still had not slept, and still had the TV on. As soon as I got the text I thought to myself, "Ok see, she is safe now you can go to sleep". I turned off the TV and had this (I really do not know how to explain it) feeling like something was outside. I did not feel like it was in the house or in the room, but that it was close and it was scaring me. My cat kept looking at the window with a strange stare. Now for those of you that have pets, you know there are different looks your animals will give you. This was more of when another cat comes around and she is about to get "puffed up". She did not hiss, but just kept looking at the window (blinds and curtains closed). I started to feel like I was going to have a panic attack (yes I have had them before, but it was when I was stuck in a Locked room and could not get out). I then felt like there was someone (I believe it to be our little girl) at the end of my bed away from the window. I felt like she was standing at the end of my bed looking over me. It made me feel a little better, but I still did not sleep well. I woke up all the time and kept feeling like something was outside.

After some advice from people in the paranormal, I decided to smudge my house. We decided to do it New Years eve and everyone except for my middle son and daughter wanted to be smudged too (my daughter was out of town that week and my middle son said he didn't believe in that kind of stuff). I started in the living room and worked my way around to each room (even my middle son's room and my daughter's room). Then I used sweet grass, started in the living room and ended in my mom's room, which is the farthest north. When I entered her room everything was good, and then as I went to leave the room I walked under the ceiling light and it got very bright, it stayed bright for the rest of the evening. Two weeks later all the light bulbs in that ceiling fan had melted the glue stuff that holds the bulb to the metal part and had to be replaced.

Friday and Saturday night everything was nice and calm. I was still leery and I woke often, but I had no feelings of anything outside. Sunday night is another issue, I went to bed around 10pm and my middle son stayed up late. My daughter was still gone on her trip and as normal my mother was fast asleep by 9pm. I woke the next morning to get ready for work and to get my son off to school (he was 17 at the time). When I walked into the living room my son was sleeping on the couch (he never does this) and my mother said that he had a bad dream and something in his room scared him, but he did not want to talk about it until I got up. I woke him and asked what had happened and this is what he told me.

He had a dream that he went into my room (my old room) to find it filled with a white smoke; there was a candle with some wires wrapped around the bottom it and he thought that was what was causing the smoke. Next to that was an aquarium filled with smoke, I was laying on my bed with my mouth open like I was trying to breath and my chest was up in the air (I guess like someone struggling to breath). He went to call 911 on the home phone (we do not have a home phone since we all have cells) and was so upset about me dying he could not talk to tell 911 what was wrong. He woke from the dream upset he said, but not really that scared until he opened his eyes. At the end of his bed was this tall man, he said that it was almost as tall as the ceiling, it was pale white (he said its whole body was the same sickly white, as if it was wearing a cloak made of the same sickly white skin of his head/face area) no facial or body features. He felt that this man was agitated at him and he was very scared of the "man-thing". He was able to move, but since his door and light switch were close to it he did not want to. The man disappeared and then he noticed this crouching black thing at the end of the bed that was moving around to the corner, but once it got to the corner it was gone. At about that same time there was this gray thing (he said it was almost as if it was the upper part of a man's body) hovering over his feet on the bed. That last thing was only there for a split second so he did not get a good look at it. Once everything was gone he flipped the lights on and ran out of the room. He was so scared, but did not wake me because he did not want me to be upset about him waking me at 3 or 4am when I had to work. That day I had him look up things that he thought would help to keep the man-thing away, and he decided that Onyx and Quartz might help. I ran out and got him an Onyx necklace, a Quartz stone, Amethyst and a Citrine stone to place under his bed. He has never seen this thing again, but I can tell you that I hate to go into his room. It scares me and I always feel like when I go in there that something else is in there, but our cats will go in there when my son forgets to close the door.

Sometime after that I was outside with my dog about 10pm or so. I was standing on my porch, the dog was out wandering the yard to remove all the other dog smells, there was no wind, and it was a normal cold night. I have short hair so my hair does not really move when I shake my head, but it felt like someone had touched my hair below my ear. The first time it happened I turned, saw nothing and called the dog to go in. The next time it happened I told it to leave and not allowed to harm my family or me. Since the thing with my son, things have calmed down.

I still feel like there is something outside, but it does not feel like it is outside my window anymore. The little girl is still in the home and has made herself part of the family. She gets upset if you yell at her and I will hear her cry if someone does. She loves my cat and I have woken a few times to my cat rolling around on the floor as if she is playing with someone, I just say "take it to the living room please so I can sleep".

So the man-thing in my son's room still worries me. I don't know what it was or what it wanted and if it will come back. Any ideas?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sammid71, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sammid71 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-22)
Oh and one last thing to Lou, yea I know she might be over a 100, but her actions and thoughts are that of a child. (example, playing with toy china set, teddy bears and of course the cat). She crys when you yell at her and you can feel her happiness when you speak highly of her. I did also notice that when we are the happiest as a family that she is more active. Guess she gains strengths from that. 😆
sammid71 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-22)
Thank you everyone for your advice and comments. I guess what I need to do is what I believe to work the best. For me (no I am not native american) the Native Americans have such a strong spiritual belief, hence is why I did the smudging to my home. I will contact a friend that is Sioux and see if we can't get an elder shaman out to work with me on the white light ceremony. Thanks again Lou for that, I would never have thought about that. I don't if I believe it to be so much a demon as maybe a watcher or something like that, that works for the evil/negative side. Thanks again everyone and I will try to keep you posted. 😁
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-22)
Sammid,

I used to belong to a group that was led by a Shaman. My experience with the white light is limited to only what I was told and shown by that individual, so any and all constructive comments from other posters would be welcomed and appreciated.
The white light can be invoked through a form of meditation, and is usually used to protect one's self and family members from spiritual harrassment. From what I was taught, it could also allow a one-way passage for earth-bound spirits to go to God. Much of what I was taught and shown were from the teachings of the Medicine Wheel.
Our group used the ceremony to help several spirits cross, it is basically a metaphysical use of one's aura and energy to guide a willing spirit to the light. Our group would sit in a circle and hold hands, we would say several protective prayers to Saint Michael and Saint Benedict.
Our group consisted of sensitives of varying levels (which, by the way, you are as well). Our leader would encourage us all to close our eyes and envision a white light being pushed out from the tops of our heads, you would then imagine the light cascading slowly down until it covered your body. When all were able to see in their mind's eye that we were protected, we would envision ourselves pushing the light to the center of the cirle, and then up... Providing the column or passage. Spirits were encouraged to approach the circle and enter the light. For those of us with the ability, loved ones of the spirits could be "seen", waiting for the spirits to cross over and join them.
Participants in the ceremony would often hear voices, be touched, and often emotionally overwhelmed... When it works it is an extremely powerful experience.
I know this all sounds like hocus-pocus, and until I experienced it myself, I would have never believed... But remember, we are not human beings having a temporary spiritual experience... We are spiritual beings, and our current existence is a temporary human experience.
Try the meditation and the white light, first as only a protetive measure for yourself and your family... Once you feel comfortable with it, you will feel empowered to communicate with the girl, and find out what she wants, and where she wants to be. Remember as well, regardless of how long she has existed, she is still only a child... She will need to feel nurtured to be encouraged to do anything.

Lou
JimD (431 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
I know what it is. It is a demon. The demonic have targeted you, do to your use of a Ouija board. The man is not a man at all, but angelic trash. Smudging is useless - 100%. You need to liberally use Catholic Holy water, and invoke Jesus, Mary and St. Michael the Archangel, often. The demonic are experts at psychological warfare, and will target us at our weakest points, i.e. Our kids. 9pm - 6am are the demonic strongest hours. 3 am especially, because it mocks / inverts the hour Our Lord died on the Cross.

If Catholic, attend mass and go to confesssion - often. If not Catholic, get and use that Catholic Holy water. The "man" won't leave, unless forced to do so. Sounds like the infestation stage of demonic assault. Email me if these vile creatures persist in harassing you. Good luck and God bless you. Dukes2352atAOL.com.
sammid71 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
No Lou I am not familiar with that. Can you tell me more. I would love to help her join her family, even though she has been a part of my family I know it is best for her to move on and rest.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Sammid,
Are you familiar with, or believe in doing a "white light ceremony"? Some believe that those who possess it, can harness their spiritual energies to help a spirit cross over. Your girl spirit needs to join her family, and to be away from the other entity. If you are able to help her, you would not have to leave her behind when you move away.

Lou
sammid71 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
I know they only way I am going to know is to ask her, but I am scared that if I do an evp session that I would be opening the door for other "things" and I really don't want to do that. As a mom, I want to protect my kids, so I just want "it" to go away, but then I will feel bad when I move and leave the little girl behind.
danny13290 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
very interesting you have obviously had an eventful life, in terms of paranormal activity, I think the best option for you is to find out more about this young girl she may be able to provide some answers and has obviously drawn a connexion with you and wants to protect you from the evil out there.

Danny
sammid71 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Thanks Dan and Lou,
I did try to research the area, but sadly there isn't much records in that area before 1860's. My oldest son who is the one who first saw her described her clothes as 1800's, in our area there was a lot of deaths due to settlers traveling through. The man/thing is what worries me. I do feel like she (the little girl) doesn't like him either. Since we put stones and cleansed the home it is nice and quiet in the house and unless I am outside alone at night do I feel like someone or something is watching. Yea they title was cause I don't know if he is a ghost or what. My theory (and its just that) is that when I acknowledged her it opened it up for him to acknowledge me, then when I smudged the house it made him mad that I was doing stuff to stop him from entering the home. So he manipulated my son's dreams to scare him so he had the energy to appear to my son and try to scare him enough to try to stop me from doing anything anymore to prevent him from entering the home. Hence the dream of white smoke and me dying. What do you think?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Sammid,
The title of your account intrigues me. You are obviously familiar with paranormal happenings; so by asking..."...or something else?" in the title, did you mean demonic? I personally believe that paranormal activity, attracts paranormal activity; and that possibly the man-figure could be just passing through... But I do not think so.
The little girl, and your other feelings about what might be outside your window/home may very well be connected. I expect that if you knew more history about the home or the girl you would have shared it with us. So, I would definitely look into the history of the home and see if a little girl died or was killed in your neighborhood in the past. For some reason, I think the two are connected. I agree that child spirits often do not know they are dead, or at least do not understand their death... So crossing over is difficult. The girl may have felt comfort in life, in your home, either because a relative or friendly neighbor once lived there; but I think she is staying because of what is outside. She is either afraid of, or bound to the property by the spirit your son awoke from his dream to see. For some reason, the man-figure cannot enter the home and can only make himself known from outside, but it somehow manipulated your son in his dream, to gain entry.
Like I mentioned, the man and the girl are connected... He could be a spirit that was attracted to her in her life... But more than likely was alive at the same time she was, and someone she was afraid of when they were alive... Maybe even caused her death.

Lou
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Wow sammid71 that's a lot of experiences you certainly have some entities there! The man figure has only been felt or seen once am I correct? This spirit could have just been passing through, the black figure crawling round the corner though I am not to sure of. Although the little girl seems happy sometimes it is a shame she hasnt moved on maybe you could help her with this! Does your mum experience much at all or had previous encounters? Again history and land will play there part in these event and also the fact you are open minded to these things. I wish you and your family aswell all the best.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
sammid71 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-20)
We did at that time have an aquarium, but it was used for a gerbil and there was no wires near it. Thanks for the comment, you never know what dream are about. The man/thing he saw has me more worried than the dream did.
Composerman (33 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-20)
Thanks for your posting.

Just a thought about your son's dream - he mentioned something to do with wires and an aquarium filled with smoke - do you own an aquarium? And if so, have you checked it over recently, for example the heater element / electric pump just incase there is a fault - perhaps your son was having a premonition of some kind?

Good luck and thanks again.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: