You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Twin Could See It Too

Real Ghost Stories

My Twin Could See It Too

 

I was a child of eight years when I had my first experience with a ghost. I shared a room with my twin, and some nights I had a hard time falling asleep. Well, this one night, I looked at the doorway of the bedroom and I saw it. You know when it's dark and from a distance a person who stands in front of a light source is seen as a dark silhouette. It was like that, but having a light silhouette instead. I could tell by its shape that it was a man; however, I saw no eyes or features otherwise. I thought to myself, "What is that? What am I seeing? Is that a ghost?" It frightened me, so I whispered to my sister to wake up and look at the doorway. I didn't want to say what I was seeing because I didn't want to influence her. I would know from her reaction if she could see what I was seeing. Sure enough, without saying a word, she threw the covers over her head. I knew at that moment my twin could see it too. It wasn't my imagination! We lay there under the covers scared, daring the other to look again, until we both agreed to look again on three. One, two, three... We looked and he wasn't there.

Years passed without my twin and I saying a thing to others about the incident. We were kids and back then, "kids were seen and not heard." We didn't think anyone would believe us anyway. Then, one day, my older sister had friends over and they were sharing ghost stories. I decided to tell them about the man in the doorway. I looked at my two older sisters' perplexed facial expressions and said, "What? I'm not lying. It's true!" To my astonishment, they said that they knew I wasn't lying because they saw the same thing on more than one occasion.

I immediately ran to my mother and told her the story and asked her why a ghost would be in our home since it was built for us and no one had died in it. She said, "It must have been your Grandfather." My grandfather died when I was three years old. Although I was very young when he passed away, I remembered him. I remembered the love he had for me and the love I felt for him. She said that he would stand in the bedroom doorways and watch us for a bit as we slept. She added, "Your Grandfather was an immigrant from Yugoslavia and was happy with just the simple things in life. He was proud to be an American and of his grandchildren. Oh, how proud he was of his twin granddaughters. He would visit frequently and always push the twin carriage around the neighborhood. It got to be that the neighbors knew your Grandfather better than they knew your Dad and I."

Here's what I didn't mention. I was also eight years old when my father left us. It was a very rough patch in our lives and it put a real financial strain on the family. We had little in the bank and my mother had just obtained her driver's license. She had been a housewife since the birth of my brother and when dad left, my brother was just about to turn eighteen. My father left a note for my brother telling him to take care of the family. Mom told him he was to go to college as he planned with scholarships and hard work. So, Mom had to get a job in a hurry and typing was all she knew. I remember her practicing again and again. I did my best to encourage Mom as I timed her and she went over her mistakes while wiping the tears from her cheeks.

Thank God my brother was, and still is, a bit of a genius and through everything was able to obtain his doctorate in chemistry.

Once I talked to my mother, I believed the man in the doorway was my grandfather. I truly believe that he, somehow, felt the trouble in our lives and was trying to be there for us.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Whispering, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Whispering (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-27)
I'm glad to hear others have had similar experiences. And to Darkrose13, my older sister later shared that she had conversations with grandfather and remembers that his figure was bright. My sister also said mom mistakenly thought she had a light on in the bedroom one time which shown under the door. When mom went to open the door, the light went out. She told my sister that lights were to be off... It was bedtime. My sister tried to tell her that it was grandfather not the light.
darkrose13 (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
My grandpa also used to watch me when I was a baby. He commitied suicide before I was born, but when I was a baby he would sit in the corner and entertain me as a ghost
GAC_Fan_2012 (1 stories) (15 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
I had a very similar experience when I was young. I was about 5-6 years old (now I'm 19) and I used to see this black figure walk in front of my door. I never said anything to my parents but now I wonder if it could have been my grandfather because he passed away the same time I was seeing this figure peek into my room.
tresco_el (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-14)
I've had a similar experience, with my mum coming back to reassure me. It's so lovely knowing that they still continue to love and protect us after they've passed.
Dawniiee32 (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-14)
I believe that it was your grandfather, and the fact that he came back during such hards times shows that he truly cares for you. This same thing happened to me last year, but it wasn't while I was in my room. It was at a funeral and my aunt died, I was crying and I felt someone rubb my arms in a comforting way. I do believe it was my aunt coming back to say bye for the last time. 😁
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
Thank you so much for sharing this. I also believe that those who love us come back to 'check up' after they have passed. After my own grandpa left us, for many months afterward, we would occasionally catch a whiff of his pipe tobacco. Reading stories like yours reaffirms my belief that our loved ones are free and well. ❤
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
I love your mom's reaction. Sounds like she just listened to your experience and then pretty much said "no biggie, must'a been grandpa"
adsouza (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
Whispering: Thank you for sharing this experience. All of us need to read something like this once in a few days to understand that however messed up things may seem, there is always someone watching over to make sure the mess does not go beyond repair.
❤
Clarence (2 stories) (24 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
It really is a moving story. I had a similar relationship with my grandfather, so it got to me on a very personal level as well.

I think a lot of us on here had at least some form of paranormal experience as a child, but those accounts are usually far more disturbing or just downright strange and rarely ever this touching.

It's nice to hear about a good encounter, and your retelling felt very honest.
Whispering (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
Thank you for your comments and the love. Children are resilient and taking after my grandfather, enjoying the simple things in life is my motto but mixed with a little adventure. From my experience, strong emotions seem to open paranormal "doors". Not to mention places with emotional imprints. For instance... I work in a nursing home. Whenever it happens, it always leaves my mouth dropped open.
shubham1120 (41 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
A very touching experience narrated by you.
First of all my sympathies for whatever you and your family got through
Your grandpa was so much caring that he came to watch over you to give you all a fatherly feeling even in absence of your father.
Your mother is a very brave person and she has earned respect from all of us here on this site without even we meeting her.
Even your elder brother, in so much strain too, he continued studying and prooved himself.
I hope you get the happiness which you were deprived of in your childhood, now.
This experience definately tops my favourite list
With lots of love,
Shubham ❤
Clarence (2 stories) (24 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
Great account. Simple and genuine. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: