You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Don't Look At The Mango Tree

Real Ghost Stories

Don't Look At The Mango Tree

 

Ever believe in a "Kapre"? #Not sure of the spelling# A Kapre is a large and hairy man who is often found sitting on huge trees while smoking a Tabacco cigar. When disturbed, they are said to bury you alive. I'm not sure if my description is accurate, but I do know they come in different sizes and are sometimes red-eyed. You know a Kapre is present because when one is around, you easily smell the strong odor of their cigars. Here are some encounters of Kapres in my grandmother's house at Paranaque City. It was usually my relatives or our helpers who have experienced seeing one.

My first encounter was when I was about 7 years old and we were all about to sleep. I know I wasn't dreaming since me, my grandmother, and the nanny along with my little sister all sleep in one room and we all heard it. It was late at night when we all heard something heavy walking fast on our roof! We all thought that maybe the mangoes from our tall mango tree were just falling and hitting the roof, but the sound sounded like heavy footsteps. Heavy like someone was jumping. We were all startled so my grandmother decided to take a peek from the window and saw a big man jump to our mango tree!

At night, my grandmother and everyone else in the house would not be roaming beyond 9pm. Our helpers know that very well. This is because when you go to our hallway, you'll notice it's a bit foggy and smelly due to the presence of a Kapre sitting in our living room smoking his cigars. We knew that he enetered the house sometimes because of our maids who do the laundry. One night, our maids decided to bring the newly ironed laundry at around 10pm. Definitely not a good idea because the laundry would be left near our living room so we can just go outside and get it ourselves the next day. As soon as they entered our hallway, there was the darkness, foggyness, and the foul smell.

While our maids were walking towards the rooms, they saw a large man sitting on one of our sofas. He was so huge that he fit the entire sofa. You can easily see his lit up cigar. Our maids then were so scared that they just decided to run back downstairs to their quarters. After that incident our maids learned the hard way to never bring up laundry at that time of the day.

Another encounter was the one of my uncle's. His room was next to ours and his window was right next to one of our mango trees. The favorite spot of the Kapres. My uncle was sleeping when he woke up at around midnight because he felt like he was being watched. And he was... When he was going to the bathroom, he checked his window and saw the Kapre sitting on the mango tree right outside his window smoking and looking straight at him. Scary! He had the hardest time trying to sleep that night.

The worst story about a kapre in our house was the one that came from our house boy and one of my grandmother's relatives from the province. Being from the province, both were used to waking up early in the morning everyday about 3-4am when it was still dark just to cut grass or tend to the plants in our big garden. During one of their walks in the garden early in the morning, they spotted the Kapre again sitting on that big mango tree of ours. He was just staring at them from up above! My house boy and relative just froze because they have never experienced anything like that. They got even more terrified when this Kapre finished his cigar and threw the cigar butt at them! They both ran into the house and decided not to do that early morning habit from then on. When they told that story to my mother ang grandmother, my mother said that they should've taken the cigar butt because it symbolizes something and it has a meaning. Lol. After seeing that thing I don't think you'd even want to stay a second longer just to pick up something from the ground.

But for anyone out there who knows, does the cigar or cigarette of a Kapre mean something when it is thrown to you or someone? Thank you for reading another one of my stories. Comments are appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shannonchikawow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Yohanchan_MCT (8 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-07-24)
Hi! How are you? I hope you are doing well. I've read your story and I loved it so much. That was really strange. Kapres are known to tease or play pranks on people. But I think they are one of the less harmful creatures the philippines has.

I want to ask permission though if it's alright that I read your story for my YouTube channel. Of course, I will surely credit the story to you and will also be happy to plug your channel or any account you want me to. I hope that's alright? Do let me know your thoughts. Rest assured, I WON'T post or use your story without consent. Thank you and stay safe always!
Lord_Manyakol (13 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-12)
I don't really know the reason why a kapre is doing that. But one thing I read. I don't know if I read this from Philippine ghost story or whatever. This woman always put her undies in the backyard where she hangs it after washing and leave it over night. There is this big tree wherein the so called kapre is living. The woman also mentioned at the end of the story that the kapre is in love with her. One night when she is done washing her undies and when she went back the next day to get it, one is missing. She is bewildered and she assumed that there is a fetish neighbor who took it. Then the next day she saw her undies at the bark of the tree hanging and she took it. She noticed that there are sperms all over it. Really funny but spooky at the same time. The question is, why is an entity having sexual desire to humans? Like on the bible from genesis, wherein demons are having sexual contact with humans. So why is it possible? They don't even have organs and concrete senses like we do. LOL!
chadlee2003 (1 stories) (31 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
I kapre kind of sounds like our American bigfoot in the way it has been discribed; except for the red eys and the cigar thing
beingtrish (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-10)
By the way, have you heard about mantiw? Or "mancho" in our dialect (hiligaynon/ilonggo). They're bigger than the kapres, and said to be harmful and they bring bad luck.
beingtrish (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-10)
My two grandmas (grandma and her sister) once told us (me and my cousins) that If you don't like the smell of their cigar, you just have to tell the Kapre to go away and he'll eventually leave. They're harmless. I also experienced encounter a kapre a few years back.

Thanks for sharing!:)
shyenne (15 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
Shannonchikawow

You should place or put 3-4 branches of Pomelo tree on top of your roof. These creatures doesn't like sharp things. 😉
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-20)
oow! Too bad! I rarely see elementals here in the city who is not angry or friendly as your family have. You know what there's a belief in my dad's province that having friendly elementals in your home or near your home is lucky.
Shannonchikawow (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-18)
ivory: I know that elementals are visible and can hurt people. Like the aswang and manananggal. Kapres can hurt people too when disturbed. Haha too bad it's already gone. Eversince we had the old house renovated these elementals and entities must have gotten bored already and moved somewhere else. 😁
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-17)
your lucky that elemental does not hurt you or any of your family members although as far as I experienced elementals rarely makes themselves visible to humans. Just enjoy having this "kapre" around. It might help you someday 😁
Justinemodina (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-11)
Oh,ok. Maybe because my dad doesn't really believe in ghost or something... Well, good luck for your research... 😊
Shannonchikawow (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
zzsgranny: No worries. I would never try to hunt a Kapre. LOL.

Ivory: Yes. They seem so attached to our old house since it used to be a forest before.

Justinemodina: I'll research on it. My relatives said that it has a meaning.

Shalyn03: I have no idea! But I'm sure they know their way around the house since they were there before us. Maybe they know how to unlock sliding doors. Or maybe they entered from our indoor garden at the middle of our house which has a small door leading to the living room. 😨 🤔
shalyn03 (5 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
Hi Shannon!. Well, just confused, how did the Kapre enters your living room?
Justinemodina (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
AHAHAH. Asked my dad if their cigars has a meaning. He said no. Well, uhmm, not really sure about it 😊
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Kapre are elemental spirits who often stays on things that they are attached into similar to the Dryads of Greek mythology. Some are attached to a certain tree sometimes to the land itself. They are good when treated respectfully but vengeful if not or if anyone injured or destroy what they considered as their own.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Shannon: Yeah, wikipedia can be unreliable because anybody can add info...But, the entry from wiki pretty much sums up everything else on the WWW on the subject... Of course, different areas of the same country will have different legends, too... Best to just keep your distance and don't try to "catch a Kapre by the toe" 😆
Shannonchikawow (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
zzsgranny and galvon: Really? Thanks for the info. I just thought that maybe the site didn't get anything.

LexiBlue: They do take human form! Kinda like werewolves. It's more of a genetic thing. I think they only become Kapres night time. I have never heard of a brave soul who's enslaved a Kapre... Goodluck to whoever is willing to do that. If there is anyone. LOL.

Kamuningflyover: Sometimes you don't know what to believe anymore. With so much of these sayings going around. The first one that I heard is that Kapres can bury you alive when disturbed. I had no idea that they were capable of fooling people. I guess it's different for every country? And I wouldn't consider Wikipedia a reliable source...
kamuningflyover (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
[at] LexiBlue 😁 I wouldn't recommend catching a kapre, haha! I only shared the things I often hear from filipino folklore. 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
Shannon: Resubmitting will only bog down the system... Check your e-mail... Maybe they have been sent back to you, or may have been sent to another editor for review... Be patient... I know it can be frustrating, but it's frustrating for us when we recieve the same story a multitude of times, which happens quite often... One submission is all it takes, honest 😊
galvon (142 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
shannon my first story isn't even up, and I'm quite the poster here it just takes time.

Patience is virtue.
LexiBlue (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
I totally agree with you! Maybe they do take human form... Hard to tell...
Shannonchikawow (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
Getting so frustrated. I recall submitting 3 other stories, yet this is the only one published so far since 2 weeks ago. I guess I'll have to write them all over again.
Shannonchikawow (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
Thanks for the comments and info, but I still would not dare to even go near a Kapre! There are many beliefs, stories, and legends about it. Some say they are evil, some say they're harmless. I don't know anyone who'd want to tie its foot to a tree. Besides, I heard that Kapres like Aswangs also have human form. Most likely during the day? 😕
LexiBlue (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
Sounds very creepy. I've never encountered something like this, but its would be interesting. Not saying that I would. I'd probable start screaming. But Maybe if you ever see something again you could take a picture of it next time seen. And just saying Kamuningflyover how would you get close enough or have the guts to actually touch its foot or get that close! Sorry but again I'd probably scream and run.

❤ LexiBlue 😊
Nikkienicole (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
I have never heard of this and it sounds interesting to me. But I have smelled cigar smoke before in my house and for me I know that it is my grandfather because he used to smoke and I know that it is him visiting.
kamuningflyover (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
folklore says if you saw a kapre, and it didn't see you, you should wait for it to fall asleep, after it finishes its cigar. Then tie a rope to its foot, the other end to the trunk of the tree where it was seen 'hanging out', then wait for daylight, and you now own a kapre slave, don't know if it would grant its captor any wishes though.
SnoWQueeN (5 stories) (100 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
Yikes! That sounds scary and strange, never heared of them. I would freak out as hell seeing a huge body sitting on a tree out of my window or sofa. Interesting account 😊 God bless you.

~Nikky
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
Interesting story! I have never heard of them before.

Thanks for the details on these beings zzzsgranny!

And I hope for you and your family that this Kapre remeins harmless to you all.

Thanks for sharing your story, I will try to look into it to see what I can find!

Looney! 😊
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
Wow, that is real strange. I have never heard of them, but it sounds pretty cool. I mean, I know I would freak out if I saw someone I didn't know sitting in my living room. If it's true on what zzsgranny said, then why not tell it go, or just talk to it?

GIRLIE ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
From Wikipedia:
"Kapres are not necessarily considered to be evil, unlike the manananggal. Kapres may make contact with people to offer friendship, or if it is attracted to a woman. If a Kapre befriends any human, especially because of love, the Kapre will consistently follow its "love interest" throughout life. Also, if one is a friend of the Kapre then that person has the ability to see it and if they were to sit on it then any other person could see it.

Kapres are also said to play pranks on people, frequently making travelers become disoriented and lose their way in the mountains or in the woods. They are also believe to have the ability to confuse people even in their own familiar surroundings; for instance, someone who forgets that they are in their own garden or home is said to have been tricked by a Kapre. Reports of experiencing Kapre enchantment include that of witnessing rustling tree branches, even if the wind is not strong. Some more examples would be hearing loud laughter coming from an unseen being, witnessing lots of smoke from the top of a tree, seeing big fiery eyes during night time from a tree, as well as actually seeing a Kapre walking in forested areas. It is also believed that abundant fireflies in woody areas are the embers from the Kapre's lit tobacco pipe."

Couldn't find anything about picking up their cigar, since most say they smoke pipes, but I think it's safe to say your family has found a friend who seems relatively harmless...😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: