You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Banyan Tree

Real Ghost Stories

Banyan Tree

 

Year - 2003

Place - village [population - about 500], state- Maharashtra

Alleged haunted place - approx. 1.5 km from village, between highway and main route to village.

Every year, I used to visit my maternal grandparents during Diwali vacations [winter vacations]. It used to be full of fun spending vacations there with aunts, cousins, uncles, grandparents and family-like neighbourhood.

Almost every day during my visit at my grandparents I used to visit nearby places - let it be someone's farm, big old temples, mountains, cowsheds, stables etc with at least one elder person from family or neighbourhood.

There was 1 place I only heard creepy stories about but never visited until 2003 was the haunted banyan tree in old British colony area approx 500 meters left from main road to village. Among all neighbours, I was very fond of Asma Dee [dee=elder sister] who accompanied me and my cousins to many such small one-day trips. She was like my elder sis, very loving and kind, who used to give me candies, sweets more than my other cousins.

This paranormal incident happened with me and Asma Dee when I was 10 years old and Asma was about 16. During that time, daily, Asma Dee had to give tiffin to her father and uncle working across the highway for the well constructions.

So, that day we [me, my 2 cousins and Asma Dee] decided to have lunch at uncle's site, then spend time in nearby farm and return home by evening with all. So we packed our stuff, left home in morning by 10am to visit Asma Dee's father and uncle. It was approx 3 km distance from my grandpa's home to construction site. The well was being constructed in the joint farm area of two families. The farm was really big and had lot of fruit-trees alongside.

After lunch, we enjoyed sugarcane and played in the farm. Then I decided to visit the Banyan tree without letting anybody know. When I saw elders went to continue construction work and cousins got busy playing with chickens of farm owners, I quietly slip to highway. Within 10 minute of rapid walk, I reached to main route heading to village. After walk of another few minutes I finally reached to the old, empty British Colony area with infamous banyan tree.

I clearly remember after reaching there I felt so weak as if something has drained all my energy. Even after drinking all water from my backpack, I did not feel better. In fact, I started feeling dizziness. I have had lot of mountaineering with 5-7 KM walk per day but never felt such dizziness before.

Thinking this is due to heat and walk after lunch I decided to sit somewhere nearby and observe the place. The place was weird as in spite of huge green banyan tree there were no birds on it. While I could see some crows, pigeons on other trees across the road which were not as green and spread like the banyan tree in front of me. The British colony further behind the banyan tree was a group of 4-5 spacious empty and rather burnt houses in very bad condition, without doors but too dark in spite of broken roof and clean noon time. Since there was not enough shadow to relax, I started walking to one of the houses to sit in porch area.

Suddenly I heard Asma Dee calling me from behind. To my surprise she said that she was shouting/calling me lot before I started walking to old houses. She came running from highway and was in dilemma. Don't remember exactly how but to relax her, I held her hand and we sat below banyan tree for some time. It was regular cold feeling when you sit in tree shadow in hot sunny day.

All this time, I did not feel fright or any chillings but weak. However, Asma Dee was so frightened looking upward in tree and she started being unconscious. At that moment I got frightened for the first time and started running to highway to call others; but being felt so weak, due to dizziness and low winds my speed was so slow that until we all came to Asma Dee it was evening - around 6pm and she was fully unconscious. Her uncle took her and put in bullock cart while we were coming from different cart. One thing disturbed me lot during this - noise of iron skeletons of doors and windows of houses slamming continuously - that I closed my ears.

Later, Asma Dee and me were taken to clinic as somehow I caught very high fever and Dee was unconscious all the time. When Asma Dee started gaining consciousness she started screaming, crying, murmuring, laughing.

One weird thing happened on same night is that somehow I woke up in middle of night only to see Asma Dee standing in backyard, staring at me through door. My grandparents and so as the other villagers used to have small attached homes and hence their backyards, galleries, porches were shared until split by roads. I screamed to wake up others and her family members took her in. I felt much better next day due to medicines and my granny's prayers. We all prayed for Asma Dee too, her family did some rituals but to our dismay weirdness of Asma Dee continued. I remember her words were like "Should not have...", "...mistake...", "... No no... No...", "...penalty". I was never allowed to wander by myself.

My aunt told me the family moved to different district within 4-5 months of this incident. Asma Dee was still not cured. One reason why Asma Dee was so badly affected given by my aunt is that she was having her periods that time and that she stayed close to tree during sunset time. I did not find her contact on social media or anywhere. I feel guilty many times as somewhere I am responsible for her situation. I can never ever forget her face when she was looking in horror up in Banyan tree and when staring at me in night.

Later, My grandparents moved to other city due to my uncle's job.

Uncle said village has grown but the tree and British colony area is still intact.

My questions are

- is it true that ladies during their period time exposed to/attract other entities?

- what are time-slots during which other entities are more powerful? Why its usually after sun-set, night times?

Spare my English.

Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, priya-, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

priya- (1 stories) (19 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-20)
Hello everyone, thank you for commenting. I came back after a long time hence replying late.
[at] lady-glow - yes, it might be power of suggestion, fears inside mind... But I still think there was something so inner fear and actual weird thing amplified effect.
[at] Serenflipppity - to be exact, district is Beed.
I really wish and pray for wellness of Asma Dee.
seemayadav (1 stories) (26 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-05-03)
Hi priya so scary story
Yes! Girls or ladies are very sensitive during periods, that's why my mother not allows me to go places like that specially on amaavashya
sant22 (14 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-05-02)
This is scary and I don't have words to express the fright I went through while reading. I can't even imagine what you and ASMA Dee might be going thru.

Take care and keep praying.
Serenflipppity (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-04-28)
Hi Priya

Sorry to read about Asma Dee. I have not heard nor read of an incident where a female is more susceptible to possession when on her period.

I do know that in certain religions and cultures females on their period are considered unclean and may not enter holy places, perform prayers, fast or touch the holy book.

Perhaps Asma Dee saw something in the tree. A spirit not at rest. I would look into what atrocities the British performed at that site during their occupation of India because something frightened Asma Dee to drive her to a babbling mess.

You did not mean her any harm by going to that place. You were curious. Unfortunately with bad results. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Be kind to yourself and remember Asma Dee in your prayers. Hope you find peace in your heart and comfort from having shared your experience.

All the best
Maxine
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-27)
Hello Priya, welcoming you to YGS.
I think each culture has its unique "menstrual history". However, most practices arise from a common ground - Ancient Indian Science, which includes Ayurveda, Yoga, Meditation, Mantra and Astrology. So, certain things are prohibited such as worship as these are spiritual activities, so, for a women going through their those days, it is believed that women would be very sensitive to absorb all types of energies around her.
Hence, as per the above ancient believes, chances of getting possession is there.

What time slot for the spirits where they are more active... In this as per my experiences, there is no sign time. Rather than It also depends on the mental and spiritual level of that person and the nature and stage of the spirit which he/she encounters.

Thanks for sharing this with us, I believe that your dee would be doing great and would be healthy.

Be safe and healthy.

Regards
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-27)
Hello Priya.

First of all, your English is great!

Reading stories like yours, makes me wonder if the beliefs of a person influence the outcome of a given situation, in my experience and where I live and, as far as I know, periods do not make women more vulnerable to paranormal attacks. A bit grumpier and more sentimental than normal, yes, but I have never heard of anyone getting possessed or anything like that during "those days".

I don't know, perhaps the power of suggestion makes a person more prone to 'attacks' only to fulfill their expectations or, maybe, spirits behave differently according to their geographical location?

Anyway, I hope Dee is feeling well.

Thanks for sharing.
saamri (1 stories) (11 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-04-27)
Hii priya, I just wish your asma dee is fine nd doing well... Being from same state of maharahstra, nd from previous generations, I have also heard about the girls having cycles are not allowed to go out of the house, neither they are allowed to visit temples and also not to cook foods for others... These r centuries old beliefs but must be having reasons to follow such...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: