You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Who Is There?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Is There?

 

My father, being in the military, relocated our family a lot. We were used to living in new homes and strange places, but for my younger brother Jonathon and I no where was quite as strange as our extremely old house in Germany. When we first moved in both he and I felt odd living in the three story house for it always felt that if you turned a corner too quickly you would run face to face with whatever you felt was watching you. At night we would hear footsteps like little childrens feet running across the attic... Mind you we were on opposite ends of the 2nd level and heard the same thing. After many sleepless nights because of this we decided that when our parents left, for they had forbidden us to go up there because it was such an old house, we would investgate the attic ourselves.

The first odd thing that we noticed was the fact that the attic locked by a latch on the outside of the door. After my brothers amazing lock picking we were able to open it. As the door swung open, two things happened at once. He noticed that the inside of the door was covered in what looked like counting marks that totaled up to 103 checks, and a huge heavy curtain dropped from right above the door covering the stairs that lead up to the first landing. My brother being the braver of the two pushed the curtain aside and proceeded to walk up the stairs and gasp...

Upon following him we both saw that the dust covering the landing had been kicked up and had dragging marks in it as if someone had been pulled along unwillingly. We also saw that on the far side of the attic was a loft and after further inspection we discovered 3 small cots and a large old matteress hidden in the loft. The feeling of being watched and as if we were not supposed to see what we were seeing was overpowering at this point and we hurridly ran for the door. When my brother's feet hit the first step we heard a womans voice timidly ask "Who is there?" in German, translated later by my father who is fluent in the language. We didn't tell our parents what we had done but we would soon find out that we needed to.

After our little adventure my brother would wake up the next few nights to see a large dark orb, as he described it, hovering just outside his doorway, which was not that far away from the attic door. This would cause him to be paralyzed in bed until it disappeared and he would run to me. I would have a similar experience, I would wake up at 1:11am every morning to see a small white figure peeking over my nightstand at me but for some reason this figure didn't scare me; it felt like the innocence of a child. After 3 or 4 nights of both of these experience my brother and I confessed to our father what had happened.

He spoke with the landlord about the experiences and was told that the house the attic and basement in particular had been housed to hide Jewish people in WWII but due to a neighbor the house was infiltrated and the family living in the attic, a married couple and their 5 children, had been dragged out of the house and taken away. He said they had left the cots there and not covered over the check marks because it brought peace to the spirits in that family, for his grandfather had believed they returned after their deaths. He said previous renters would complain about noises in the attic and odd sightings in doorways and said that he had always thought they were the spirits of the father and youngest daughter that roamed the house while a protective womanly presence stayed in the loft of the attic.

My mother burned sage in the house to try and rid it of evil spirits but my brother and I knew that these were not evil but just as curous as we were when we traveled into their space. Up until the time we left we would continue to hear the struggles and movements in the attic and see the orb and white figure but without as much terror as before. We would acknowledge them, say hello I see you in German, and they would eventually leave, no harm caused to us. To this day, it has been almost 5 years since this, we can still recall the experience perfectly.

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, daydreamer24, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
daydreamer24,

What a scary yet sad story. I'm so glad you chose not to give in to fear and realise the spirits meant you no harm.

I hope they aren't permanently locked in the sadness of the house and realise they can move on to a much safer place.

Thanks for sharing,

Lakota73 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-11)
What an interesting story!
I wonder if there are more places like that old house in Germany.
Thank you for sharing.
J4syt (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-11)
Does anyone know when we can put new stories on? Also does anyone know if the iPhone app is worth buying?
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-11)
Wow. Well written account, but I feel so bad for that family. No one should ever have to go through that, and maybe that is why it's hard to move on? If that house was the only place of safety in a dangerous time, maybe that is why they returned there.

Glad you came to terms with it. It would have made me so very sad.
Rozo (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-11)
Very well told story, really enjoyed the read!
Thanks for sharing!
Will look out for others.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-10)
daydreamer24: Interesting account, I can only guess at the energy that is still residing there within the home, fear and unsettledness would have been permeated into the houses foundations. I do hope they have moved on. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-09)
This was such a great story that I favorited it. I agree with LakotaWinyan that they should not linger in the darkness, though. I think it is quite significant and respectful that the house's owners chose not to cover up the tic marks or remove the cots. I personally use sage often in my home. Thank you for sharing.
LakotaWinyan (2 stories) (63 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-07)
Yes, white sage does not get rid of good spirits, only malevolent ones. It can be a good tool for helping those clinging onto earth to let go and walk on.

I find it very sad the family didn't walk on.

Personally, I would not want to linger in the darkness that was a living nightmare. I would choose to go on and be happy/reunited with family and friends.

Thank you for sharing.

LW

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: