You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Experiences At Work

Real Ghost Stories

Experiences At Work

 

I have been reading from this site for quite a few days now, and finally I decided to share my story. I live in a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean called Malta.

At the time that I had my experience I was 17 year old, now I am 21. I used to work in small cafeteria in the middle of our capital city, Valletta. The cafeteria basically consisted of an old basement, and two levels. The basement was used as a store, the ground floor had the bar and a few fridges, and the top level had three or four tables for patrons to use. The funny thing about the place was, that the shop was actually a very small part of an old palace, the basement was the only original part, while the other two levels were actually one level divided with some beams and a wooden flooring. The stairs, which led upstairs, or downstairs were exactly on top of each other. Due to the lack of light (there weren't any back windows) the architect decided to remove the back part of the stairs that led upstairs, so that light could illuminate the stairs underneath.

We used to work in three in this cafeteria, the manager and one of us used to leave at two, while the other stayed until 6 in the evening. This was done in turns between my colleague and me.

Now, let's come to the actual experience... I never actually saw anything, but I felt and saw shadows. In the afternoon as soon as the other left, I used to sit on the stairs, which led upstairs, like this I had a good view of the door for the café. After a few moments I would always feel like someone ran into the café, and went straight ahead for the stairs downstairs. The creepy thing is that I saw a shadow on the glass of the fridge. I would then have the feeling that someone went downstairs. I would always creep out, and immediately stand up from the stairs. After it happened a few times I stopped sitting on the said stairs. The really creepy thing was, that I was sure than I never talked to anyone about it, because I was sure that they would make fun of me.

One morning I was a bit late cause I missed the bus, so when I went in my colleagues were already there. While I was going put my bag downstairs I heard my colleague mumbling a story to my manager, she seemed quite frightened. I stopped in my tracks, just to hear her describe my exact experience to my manager, she said every detail that I saw. I never said anything to them cause I didn't want to create a fuss about it, but to this day, when I remember that feeling my eyes gets teary...

I hope you liked the story, unfortunately or maybe not, that was the only paranormal experience I had which I am certain of.

I am open to any feedback. Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Brian1992, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-12)
Hello Brian1992, you said that the timings are around 4 every time you had the experience. Then as I said, it should be residual. It is a good thing that you noted down the timings. Please share your other experiences, if any.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Brian1992 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-29)
To be honest I never actually listed the times, but it always happened at around the same time... 4 in the afternoon. Other minor stuff did happen too, but I never actually had proof that it was a spirit, for example some times we used to hear stuff falling in the basement, and something that happened often is to find the lights on, when we were more than sure that they we turned everything off the day before.

I never said anything to my colleagues for many reasons, first and foremost because I knew that she would have been afraid to stay alone in the shop. I didn't know that she experienced the same stuff that I did.

No, I never felt like I was being watched, I just felt the presence of someone coming into the shop. Sometimes it was so strong that I stood up to see if there was anyone behind the counter. 😕
blowingbubbles (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-29)
I envy you. I have been wanting to post my experiences. Yet to no avail, seems the site is under maintenance. I have been reading on this site for quite some time now.

The way you told your story made it easy to imagine; therefore we, the readers, were even able to put ourselves on the same spot where you sat.

Great! 😉
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-28)
Brian
Welcome to YGS 😁. I like your story. I agree with the others. First the way you wrote the story were just the facts and that indeed makes a story more believable. Second I also agree that this is a residual haunting. The spirit just does the same thing it did every day of it's life and is not aware of you or any changes to the building. Of course it would scare anyone who saw it but it isn't there to hurt you.
If you felt like you were being watched perhaps it is because the spirit is looking at something from it's time? That is just a guess.
Anyway again welcome to YGS and have fun reading the experiences
On the site. 😁
Regards
Red
Narella (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-24)
Interesting story. I'm sure many people who have worked in that building have a lot of interesting stories. If you could research the building, you might be able to figure out what you were seeing. I don't think there's enough information in your story to decide if it is residual or not. Research could help clear that up.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-24)
Brian,
I echo Elf and SDS. This sounds to me like a residual haunting, especially when your co-worker had the exact same experience. I understand you not talking to others about it, especially if small Island living is anything like small town living- everyone seems to know everyone else's business and everyone gossips. You didn't want to be labeled crazy, or taunted.
Thank you for sharing this.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-24)
Hello Brian1992, welcome to YGS. I agree with elf. Simple narratives like this are more convincing. You hit the nail on the head elf.

I feel that it could be residual. But I can't be sure. You said that you had these experiences. But could you please tell us the timings or did you feel it anytime you tried to sit in the stairs. If the timings are one and the same, then it should be residual haunting.

I would like to advise/suggest that whenever you experience anything paranormal, it is better that you discuss with others. Because, who knows, they might be having varied experiences and it is not that they would be making fun of you.

Nice experience and thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-22)
Interesting story here, Brian1992. I don't think that you should be alarmed or frightened by this Spirit or Spirits. And, of course, welcome to YGS!
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Brian1992 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-22)
Thanks:)

Actually I don't know the name of the palace... It's one of the many found in our capital. All I know that it's in a bad really bad state, and is used as a ministry by the actual government.

It was spooky... And I still get shivers when I remember. Obviously it was the last time I sat on those stairs 😕
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-21)
That's a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us. A lot of times the simple little stories like this are more convincing than the wildly dramatic ones.

Could you tell us the name of the palace? I'd like to see if there's anything about it online, just because history and old places fascinate me.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-21)
Welcome to YGS!
I'm sure that old palace accumulated many secrets over the years and probably the presence you felt was a residual haunting that means no harm... But sure it's spooky! 😨

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: