You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Kindness Turned To Angel

Real Ghost Stories

Kindness Turned To Angel

 

Back in 2009 my boyfriend at the time got sent to a work house in Anoka County, Minnesota. He had been there before and stayed for a long period of time, so the guards got use to me being around a lot. Once in awhile they would let me stay the night if I promised not make a lot of noise or become a pain. I'd happily agreed for now I got to see my boyfriend more and more.

One night when the guards were making everyone else leave, I stayed up in my boyfriend's room until the main guard said coast clear to me, which meant I can come out and go to my car for my things. So I did just that. As I walked back in, the main guard yet again stopped me and reminded me of the rules. I thought that was weird for this was the 100th time he told me.

As I brushed it off and started up the stairs to head to sleep, I noticed an older woman sitting on the stairs looking out the window. She looked so normal! Medium brown hair, blue eyes, and her skin was our normal color, but she looked so sad, so I figured she was another resident of the work house.

I asked her if she was ok and she just looked at me with her blue eyes. She seriously looked like she had been crying! So again I asked her if she was alright and if there was anything I could do. She looked out the window again and said, "I can't find my room." Puzzled, I asked her what floor she thought it was on. She quietly replied the fourth floor. I smiled, put my things downs and told her I would be happy to show her to her room, I mean I have been to this place numerous times.

The woman grabbed my hand and off we went to the fourth floor. Now a side note, the fourth floor was under repairs to make room for more residents but none of that crossed my mind at that time. When we walked through the double doors onto fourth floor, there were no lights but only the moon when the clouds weren't in the way. We slowly walked passed rooms until she turned and smiled at a door. She said, "That is my room!" I opened the door to see an old bed in the corner and still no lights working.

The woman walked to the bed, sat down and looked out the window. I apologized for the lights but she didn't care, just that window. Before I left I asked her why she looks out the window so intensely. She smiled, placed her hand on her chest and told me her husband was coming for her and she just wanted to be ready. I smiled, said goodnight, closed the door and headed back for my things.

A year later me and my uncle were walking around downtown Anoka when I happened to look over my shoulder and saw that same old woman! I waved and she waved back. My uncle and I crossed the street and when I looked back to introduce them, she was gone. I didn't think much of it until we walked into the history center and right away a picture caught my eye. The owner noticed how hard I was staring at the picture and began telling me about it.

It was back when the work house was the old asylum and the woman in the picture was Mary. Back when the asylum opened, her husband dropped her off and promised to return the next morning for her, but never showed. The records showed that he moved out of state and married another woman 3 days after dropping off Mary. Mary sat by her window, waiting until her death. She was buried in the asylum's cemetery that is now in front of Anoka High School for all that ground belonged to the asylum.

I felt horrible! How could someone do that?! Once I found out her last name, I went to her grave site and placed flowers on it. I still do it to this day on her birthday. Even though I see Mary everywhere. She was with me when I got in car accident that almost claimed my life, she was the first face I saw when I woke up. She shows before any bad things are about to happen around me so now I take her warnings very seriously. She has become my guardian angel.

My uncle said she decided to be there for me because I was there for her. In a place that patients only got 2 minutes with people a month, to her having someone spend about half hour was a gift from God. I take great peace in knowing Mary has my back and that I have given her peace as well.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, zimmygirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-31)
Hello:
What an amazing and unusual thing to see a full-bodied solid apparition AND to have the opportunity to interact in such a positive way. I have had many experiences, but never (knowingly) had the chance to see one like you have. I'm sure you can fully appreciate this wonderful gift.
Love & Light,
Lynev
STARRCHiCC14 (31 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-13)
Wow! That was sweet! Thank you so much for sharing this lovely story of yours. It will definitely going to my favorites! God bless.
glesgaboy (24 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-13)
Hello Zimmygirl,
I saw a Twilight Zone episode once about a man who did not realize he and his dog had died.
The story was about how he wandered down a trail in the country and came upon different types of seemingly kind people who kept telling him that the path behind them led to heaven and eternal happiness.
As the story unfolded he noticed things like his dog being uncomfortable around some of the people he met and other little things that made him a bit wary of them.
Anyway, in the end the moral of the story was that he finally realized he was dead and it was his wariness that finally saved him and led him to the "true' path.
Rod Sirling, the creator of the show, to me, was a very insightful person.
His stories, even though fantasies, had a ring of truth to them.
Your story Zimmygirl, even though it is on face value seemingly angelic in its nature should, in my opinion, not be taken totally to heart.
I am not a religious person by any means. I do however believe in God.
In the bible there is reference to the deceptions demons play upon those souls they wish to deceive.
"Wolves in sheep's clothing" comes to mind.
An interesting story none the less.
Thank you for sharing. GB.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-12)
That was really sweet. You just never know who has who's back in this life or the next do you? Thankyou so much for the story.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-12)
Great story Zimmygirl. Some things don't need to be questioned and I prefer not to question this. You seemed to have touched her and she's showing her appreciation by watching over you. Thanks for a great read!
zimmygirl (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
There are tons of rumors and stories about the old asylum, I mean growing up I heard all from patient cruelty to murders that were never recorded. The old asylum ground has 5 buildings with 3 of them still working as a work house, pert class building and a county office building. I honestly don't know if anyone else have seen her before I did because I really didn't believe in these things until this!
If you go to the history center they have pictures and maps everywhere and in the archives of the asylum. I just found it weird the first picture I saw was her, like a sign almost.
It just freaks me out.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
Hello zimmygirl, welcome to YGS. This surely goes to my favourites. You have not mentioned the time of the events. When did the experience happen to you, I mean when did you helped her to the 4th floor room and when did the owner told you that Mary died. It is good of you that you went to place flowers in her grave. No wonder that she became a guardian angel of you. Nice experience and thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
I'm glad they used the '2 minutes with people' of that bygone month to take a picture to the asylum's residents!😜
Do you mean you spent about half an hour with a ghost without even realizing it? Did you feel any change in the surrounding energy during your experience? Did any of the guards or the other residents ever encounter her?
It seems that this ghost lady's having a good time after her passing if she was able to leave the asylum to go downtown and later following you everywhere.
Did the employee at the history center know Mary when she was still alive?

Thank you for sharing this sweet and puzzling story.
BattleScars (3 stories) (44 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
This is a lovely story.

Definitely going in my favourite stories.

Stay safe

BattleScars

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: