You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Something Mimicked My Mother In The Woods

Real Ghost Stories

Something Mimicked My Mother In The Woods

 

After browsing this website and reading dozens of stories, I finally decided to post one of my own. I've actually had several paranormal encounters over the years, but this one has always struck me as particularly bizarre and frightening. This incident occurred sometime in the fall of 2006.

I grew up in a rural part of Ohio. My house had fairly dense woods located directly behind it. As a child, I had a passion for exploring. I especially loved exploring those woods. It was my favorite place to be.

Prior to the incident, I had wandered through those woods many times, always with my mother's permission. There was one tree in particular that I frequently enjoyed to climb, usually about to the halfway mark so I could perch myself on one of the heavier branches and just relax as I listened to the peaceful sounds of nature. Climbing that tree for the very first time was quite an accomplishment. From that position, I could partially see the back of my house.

On that day, after a fair amount of exploring, I carefully scaled my favorite tree. I seated myself on a sturdy branch and took in the view. Naturally, being late in October, the sun inevitably began to set within a few minutes. I always felt a little saddened to see the darkness approaching. The woods were like my own little sanctuary. I could entertain myself out there for hours. When darkness began to fall, however, my mother would stand at the edge of the woods and call my name until I obediently returned home so not to be stranded out there after dark.

After watching the sun set until I could no longer see it, I began my descent down the tree. I was nearly at the bottom when I heard my mother's familiar voice, calling my name. I thought nothing of it at first, as this routine had occurred plenty of times before. Then I realized something strange as my feet touched the ground. My mother's voice was coming from behind me, deeper in the woods, rather than towards the entrance where she always stood when she called me home.

My mom had never entered those woods before. At least not with me. I was eager to find her and show her all of my favorite spots before it grew too dark. That's when I realized something was off. How could she have gone into the woods ahead of me? Certainly I could have missed her, but as I said, she never entered those woods. She continued calling my name, but there was something strange about it. She sounded absolutely frantic, almost angry. Fearing that I was in trouble for reasons currently unknown, I froze in place. As her voice drew closer, I squinted my eyes to see if I could locate her and determine exactly how angry or upset she appeared to be. However, I didn't see anyone or anything unusual.

Suddenly I heard her voice calling my name from the direction of my house, sounding much calmer. Seconds later, from somewhere within the woods yet again. It wasn't an echo. I wasn't imagining things. I was literally hearing her beckoning me from the edge of our backyard, as well as ahead of me. My legs suddenly turned to jelly. I couldn't quite comprehend what was going on. "Come here, right now!" the voice that I originally believed to be her screamed from just ahead. I realized that whoever or whatever was mimicking my mother was drawing closer.

I didn't question which voice was actually my mother's, as there was something about the way it sounded that unnerved me. Terrified of what I would see if I stood there much longer, I turned around and ran towards the exit of the woods as quickly as my legs could possibly carry me. It was amazing that I didn't trip over anything in my haste. Even though my house wasn't very far away from where I had been standing, those woods had never seemed larger to me than they did in that moment. From behind me, my 'mother's' voice continued to call my name, now sounding desperate. Panic set in as my actual mother finally came into view, waiting patiently as she usually did until I returned home. In my frightened state, I absolutely refused to look back.

As soon as I was out of the woods and in the backyard next to my mother, the other voice was suddenly gone. Rather than fading away, it seemed to stop the very moment I stepped foot into my backyard. I must have looked as frightened as I felt because my mother asked me what was wrong. Slowly but surely, my panic subsided. I didn't say anything until we were safely inside of the house with our doors locked. I asked my mother if she had entered the woods. Appearing confused by the question, she told me that of course she hadn't.

With that confirmation, I hesitantly asked her if she had heard anyone else calling my name and yelling. The answer to that question was also no. Although I was still very much shaken up, I managed to explain everything that happened as clearly and rationally as possible. My mother was surprisingly nonchalant about the whole situation, explaining that I must have imagined it. That I was spending too much time out there by myself.

The incident in those woods have stayed with me to this day. I can still hear that voice as clear as a bell. Whoever or whatever it was calling my name sounded exactly like my mother, but I know it wasn't her. Not only was she waiting for me outside, but the voice also sounded strange in a way that I still can't fully explain. I didn't go back into the woods until I was seventeen years old and even then, I never hung out for very long.

I've carefully gone over every possible explanation, but none of them seem entirely plausible. It certainly wasn't my mother playing a prank. There was no way she could have pulled it off. Not to mention the fact that she's never been one to play pranks. I also highly doubt that it was anyone else because as I stated before, we lived in a rural area. The closet neighbor was at least a mile away and I wasn't personally acquainted with any of them. How could they have known my name and where to find me?

We've since moved out of that house, but my mother and I occasionally discuss the incident. She still claims that she never heard or saw anything unusual out there. I know it probably shouldn't, but what happened in those woods continues to bother me. I spent many hours out there prior to that day and never had anything out of the ordinary occur. The best explanation I have at this point is a doppelganger or possibly a demon, but I'm unsure. If anyone has a possible explanation as to what might have happened, I'd love to hear it. Thank you for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, intotheairwaves, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Rajine (14 stories) (772 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-03-24)
I've read this incident a 100 times over the years and it still creeps me out, definitely one to remember
a_wizard_30 (guest)
+3
5 years ago (2019-01-14)
I think I may have figured it out. After getting the help of some friends on reddit, most of the smart users said that it wasn't a demon, a doppelganger, or even a spirit.

Apparently it was a wendigo. Wendigos are creatures that live in certain areas around the world. They usually live in heavily wooded areas and can be found in the midwest USA which is where Ohio is.

Wendigos can mimick the voices of humans so I think that was what the wendigo was doing. Wendigos are dangerous since they eat humans so it was very good that you didn't go near it. The wendigo was probably trying to lure you farther into the forest. The fact that the voice you heard sounded very distressed was more evidence that you had an experience with a wendigo. Wendigos are known to sound like that.

I'm pretty sure that after you went back towards your home, the wendigo realized that you hadn't fell for its tricks so it just stopped calling and looked for other prey. Wendigos are very smart creatures so it probably knew that your mom would get suspicious if it continued calling your name.

If it wasn't a wendigo, it was probably a skinwalker which is very similar to a wendigo.
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-07-06)
A very well written experience. Going to the woods, climbing your favorite tree reminds me of my childhood days. Its so good. 😊

But what happened in those woods is very terrifying. Many can say that it might have been an echo but the one who experiences really knows how scary the situation can be. Might be a demon, might be a doppleganger, god knows as it had been years after this experience. 😊
intotheairwaves (1 stories) (1 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-05-12)
Hello, everyone! I'd like to begin by saying that I would have replied much sooner, but unfortunately, I was without internet for a short while. However, I have finally read all of of your comments and appreciate them very much. A huge thank you for the compliments on my writing, as well! In response to Miracles, my name isn't particularly common, but it's not exactly uncommon, either. I've definitely never ruled out the possibility that the voice I heard was merely human, but there was something off about it. Totally gave me chills, you know?

Many of you have given me a different perspective on what I might have experienced in the woods that day. I've taken the time to do more research after reading your thoughts/theories. It has definitely opened my eyes to new possibilities. I also take plenty of comfort in believing it wasn't a child eating demon, haha. Thank you all for taking the time to read my story, as well as your kind words. It's greatly appreciated! 😊
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-26)
hahahaha 2nd1st, The site gave me the 'vote for someone else' salute when I tried to vote your comment up. Well anyway your park moment made me laugh!
2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-26)
Just reread this and it is pretty chilling, especially as I'm sitting in a dark park right now.

Ironically, there's a dark figure about 30 or so metres away standing under a tree who appears to be watching me. First noticed him about 25 minutes ago. A little unsettling given the story I was reading at the time. But he's definitely human, I don't think ghosts chain smoke.

I'm guessing he's either a) up to no good and wondering if he should try his luck or b) with the council community patrol wondering if I'm up to no good lurking in the park at night or c) maybe he thinks I'm cruisin' for a date or d) his missus won't let him smoke at home

Oh well, in the time it took me to one thumb type all of that he wandered off.
DarkStar (1 stories) (25 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-25)
Extremely well written, and really chilling as well.

DarkStar
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-25)
Hello intotheairwaves,
That experience must have been horrifying for you.

I have also had experiences with spirits or whatnot mimicking voices of loved ones and this is a complaint my best friend's household is currently experiencing. My experiences were always short lived. I've heard my name and the names of some of my pets. I've also heard people I know talking, just slightly too low for me to catch what they're saying, only to find out they're not around or they swear up and down that they hadn't said a word.
At my friends' house, the three people that live there have heard the voice of someone that lives there. It calls out to them or says stuff that they can't make out. It sounds like my best friend's fiance, and funny enough, the voice has done it to him as well.

Those instances obviously aren't as scary as yours though. They're inside buildings, happening to grown people. They also don't tend to repeat themselves over and over. Yours is unique in that it was outdoors and the voice was so incredibly insistent.

Mimicked voices are actually pretty common in folklore. Doppelgangers would obviously be able to do that. There are a lot of stories about faerie creatures luring children away with mimicked voices as well. There are other folklore things too, most of them have to do with luring a person away or trying to distract them.

It was smart of you to go back home. Whatever it was, I doubt you need to worry about it now. I can see how that memory would stick with you though.
Mhannerism (2 stories) (82 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-25)
intotheairwaves,

I logged in because like everyone else, it gave me goosebumps! Very well-written account. I could imagine you from a 3rd person's perspective. My guess would be an elemental. If it was being mischievous, why did the voice sounded angry and desperate? It sounded dangerous to me but I don't think it was a demon. Or is it just me overthinking things?

Welcome to YGS!

Take care,
Mhanne ❤
Foxglove (23 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-24)
Scary! There are lots of legends about "The little people" luring travelers away in the forest, which I've just absorbed along with the other folkloric stories in a kind of "ho hum" way. But to have a modern account with such a creepy personal element really brings it home!

Not that I'm speculating on the cause or origin of the voice. There are more things in heaven and earth... To be honest I did wonder if it could have been a human prankster (or something more sinister...yikes) as the tale unfolded. The resemblance to your Mom's voice indicates something more supernatural in my mind but couldn't say more.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-04-24)
intotheairwaves,

I liked your story it was very well written. My best guess is it was a nature spirit. At first I was thinking it might be Kokopelli who is a Native American God of music,fertility,and is a trickster. But I think* he is a south western Native American God so it could not have been him. I have no idea why it would want to lure you further into the woods. It's a good thing you followed your instincts and went back the way you went in though.

Regards
Red
2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-22)
Very good narrative. I seem to recall a lot of Irish folklore features beings skilled in mimicry who delighted in getting people lost. In the stories the intentions were usually just mischief rather than harm. Tended to be tied in with folklore around fairies and pooka etc
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
intotheairwaves- WOW! Just like everyone else, I was on the edge of my seat! It gave me goose bumps! I had a great visual of your experience with the way you wrote it.

I would lean toward a trickster entity playing games with you. I'm with Aussie on it not being demonic.

It is sad that the event changed your peaceful attitude for the woods. I have always love them. But like Miracles, those darn ticks! And chiggers!

Great story! Welcome to YGS
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Hi Intotheairwaves, and welcome.

Are you aware of any animal that mimics in your area? There's an Australian bird called the 'Lyrebird' because it mimics absolutely anything it hears. Obviously there's none of them in Ohio but perhaps another animal, someone's escaped pet parrot for example.
I wouldn't dismiss a mimicking animal as a possibility simply because of the Lyrebird's ability to exactly match to perfection what it hears. Sound engineers compare sound waves of an original source sound with that of the Lyrebird's impersonation and both sound waves time and time again are identical. It's absolutely astonishing. With this in mind an animal native to your area or an escaped pet parrot may be responsible.

On the paranormal end of the possibility spectrum I wondered if it was a nature spirit, some kind of protector of the forest so to speak. In this case perhaps they were attempting to say 'hello' after recognising you respond by this call. If it was some kind of ghostly entity perhaps one who didn't understand English, but understood that if you hear *this* (your mother calling you in) you respond by going to the source. So it too decided to make *this* call in hopes you would approach it. I hope that makes sense. My animal theory kind of doesn't make sense if it was approaching you, unless it was an escaped pet and associated you, a human, with food, love and affection!

I haven't read the comments yet. Usually I read all comments before responding but I just wanted to jump in to responding with my thoughts first. Not sure if anyone's brought up a living residual. But I doubt this because of the sound movement and the fact it sounded a little 'off' to you, frantic as you say. So I'd rule out residual.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, I used to enjoy hours of solitude in my gran's forest like backyard, also my aunt's similarly forest large block. I also used to feel a pang of sadness as the sun went down.
You may like to read this:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22828
Your experience reminded me of this person's, there's no mystery voice, but it's another 'what the heck' moment in the forest from someone else who loved to roam around in nature.

Thanks so much for sharing, this is going into my faves! 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Hello intotheairwaves, I really enjoyed your story. Like Miracles it had me on the edge of my seat. The impression I got was something must have been watching you. Whether it was a human spirit, or an elemental I think something was up to no good that day. The voice mimic'd your mom to make you believe she was deeper in the woods so you would follow her. Luckily your instincts were to rationalize before you went running towards the back of the woods. Who knows what could have happened if you did, you could have gotten lost or fallen and hurt yourself. I also think that your mom might have thought there was something going on but suggested it was your imagination because she didn't want to frighten you. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and take care 😊
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
I'm thinking along the lines of a premonition?...as you stated..." I didn't go back into the woods until I was seventeen years old and even then, I never hung out for very long."...we all have guides and these guides can look ahead and basically see our future without going right into all of that... It may be possible, that your guide. In giving you a nudge basically frighten you out of the woods because something around the corner was about to happen?...then again, perhaps you fell out of the tree, I'm thinking you're up pretty high right? Can you imagine how frantic your mother would be, if that were the case?...I'm sure she would have gone in racing after you like any mother would do... Staying here with the Murphy's law scenario for a moment, you did fall and then you skipped a parallel universe because it's not your time to go and you have some memory of that? You can remember the memory or voice only of frantic mum, but have lost the visual and account of that universe, as the "it's time for dinner mum" was coming at you from another direction as your new vessel attached to your spirit settled into a universe of which you do continue on with today,"Bobs your uncle" excuse my aussie slang if you don't know what that means...it's quite amazing what these guides and angels can do to keep us in the game, I have read a few of those accounts here on YGS...it's possible, often people who jump universes do have vague memories of something they remember as being a bit odd? Anyway, something for you to have a think about... A Demon? Nah, why would it wait at a distance and call you when it could have consumed you all alone in the tree.

Regards Daz
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Thanks for sharing - I really enjoyed this recount as it was so very well written 😊.

Apart from you experiencing an auditory hallucination (pretty unlikely) then I suspect a mischievous spirit may have been trying to lure you into the woods, or just to mess with / frighten you.

Regards

Mack
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
intotheairwaves - welcome to YGS 😊 While reading your story, I could easily visualize what was going on. Living in Ohio, and in a rural area, I know exactly what you mean by it couldn't have been a neighbor. When you're in the woods, you're in the woods LOL

I will admit I was sitting on the edge of my seat while reading this. I'm not sure if it's the emotion from your story or because I have a 14 year old son and a situation like this would really bother me if it had happened to him.

Both my kids and I have heard my voice, when it really wasn't my voice. But nothing like what you have described 😢

Not to get too personal but is your first name a common name? If so, maybe this other mom could have been calling for her son. I know it's stretching but a glimmer of an explanation. I prefer the thought of a doppelganger over a demon. I think if it had been something demonic in nature, you'd have had a much different experience to share with us.

I wonder if maybe your mom played it off like it was your imagination so as to not scare you more than you already were. I'm sorry it affected how you felt about the woods. I find such comfort and peace being in nature like that (except for the ticks! 😭)

Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed reading it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: