You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: "thumbing For A Hitch"

Real Ghost Stories

"thumbing For A Hitch"

 

The week of Mardi Gras, I decided to drive out to New Orleans to surprise some friends of mine.

We all had a great time.

When on long road trips, I'm usually looking at the road or the scenery going by while talking with my girlfriend Carrie or listening to Music via my iPhone.

On the morning of February 24th, I checked out of the Wyndham Hotel early so as to get a jump on the traffic coming into New Orleans for the annual Mardi Gras festivities. I wanted to get out

Of the city before the traffic became to insane to deal with. I got out just in the nick of time.

I was awake and alert while driving and concentrating on the drive ahead of me.

Not long after leaving the vicinity of Baton Rouge heading west bound on I-10, and going through the wetlands of Louisiana, I became aware of a presence... In my car!

Out of the peripheral vision of my right eye, I saw a young woman. She had long, wavy black hair and was wearing big, round sunglasses, kind of like the type that were in style back in the 1960's. (Picture Jackie Onassis)

When I looked right at her, she would be gone.

She never looked at me, but only at the road ahead. She never said a word, even when I spoke to her. (Heh, talking to a ghost.)

Instead of continuing on I-10 which would lead me into Houston, I took a right turn onto I-96 in Beaumont and then a left on 105.

From that point on, I never saw her again. I am left wondering who she was and why she chose to ride with me out of New Orleans in the middle of the night.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ghoster2K, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cat7777 (9 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-20)
This creeped me out so much! You spoke to it? I would've been taking a swift turn onto anywherebutheresville and calling my mum lol
I wonder if she was just a passing visitor to you or a regular hitchhiker to others.
Either way, when I plan my great American road trip I will be leaving this one out 😉
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Ghoster2K- I enjoyed your story. As usual I read the comments before placing my own.

As I read you account, I couldn't help but think of my own personal experiences. In my story "Mr. Winfred" I really had the same type of experience. Every time I looked straight at him "POOF" disappears. If could have held my gaze just a bit I could have set there and have a pretty good look at him. However, he was sly enough to show up and take me off guard. To this day I can still see his figure along with the suit he wore.

Strange, strange indeed. The question being, why they only allow a certain amount of visual? 😢
Caz (342 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-21)
Great story Ghoster. I wonder if the lady managed to hitch another ride when you changed direction. If she did, I'm glad it wasn't with me! 😉 Weren't you scared at all? I read and enjoyed your other two stories and found them interesting too. 'Tap On The Shoulder' almost brought a tear to my eye! 😊
Ghoster2K (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-21)
"Trick of the light"? In the middle of a swamp in the middle of the night? Not hardly.
I am not prone to hallucinations or having optical illusions while driving. As for Carrie, she was sound asleep back in her hotel room in New Orleans.
Thanks, Melda and Mack.:)
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-20)
Ghoster2K - Sorry, I have just read your story again and you did mention that you felt a presence. So very possibly the "hiker" lady was there.

I don't always knock peripheral vision because there are a number of explanations for it. I too have experienced this and have at times felt that it was real but afterwards have been more inclined to put it down to natural causes, simply because I did not want to acknowledge it as supernatural! So Mack has a very good point but only you know what happened on that occasion, we weren't there!

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-20)
Ghoster2K - I really enjoyed reading this.

Did you actually feel the presence of this lady besides seeing her in your peripheral vision? If you could actually sense her being there, she very well might have been there, perhaps hitching a ride to the Mardi Gras 😆

Was Carrie present or were you merely talking to her over the phone?

When I was young and still living in Cape Town SA, I was the proud owner of an old Volkswagen Beetle. I used to drive all over Cape Town at night visiting my sister and friends. (The days before my night vision problem.)

Every now and then I would be convinced that there was somebody sitting at the back of my "Volksie" (which is what we South Africans call this particular car).

Quite honestly, I think that was just my very vivid imagination because I didn't ever see anybody there!

Who knows, you very well might have had a lady hitching a ride. It won't be the fist time it has happened 😨

Regards, Melda
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-19)
Hi Ghoster2k

Thanks for sharing your story. I wonder, because you could only see this "figure" out of the corner of your eye, or your peripheral vision, and it dissapeared when you attempted to look directly at it, was it a trick of the light or an optical illusion?

I base my thoughts on what I imagine would be the sheer difficulty in a spirit being able to determine when and how it was seen by someone depending on whether it was being viewed directly or indirectly by the eye (s) of that person.

As far as I know (which,let's face it, isn't a great deal) the human eye received light through the iris and that light is projected on to the retina. Now that light just goes in the iris, there's no filter so to speak of, therefore I suspect your mind created the image of this "Jackie O" figure based on some incomplete imagery.

Just my theory on it at the end of the day. For me, this story asks the important question about how and why we see spirits and how and why they choose to reveal themselves to us at the most odd times.

Thanks for sharing

Regards

Mack.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: