You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Message on the Car Radio

Real Ghost Stories

A Message on the Car Radio

 

This story is in two parts; the first part took place in New York City shortly after my boyfriend died. Of course I was devastated when this happened. He was to be buried in his native Ireland, but on the day of his funeral in Ireland they had a memorial Mass for him at his parish in Queens. My boyfriend always liked to hear me sing for him (I had done some singing around NYC at the time), so I impulsively volunteered to sing at his memorial Mass. The piece that I chose to sing was the "Pie Jesu" from Gabriel Faure's Requiem.

The morning of the memorial Mass I tried to warm up my voice in my apartment, but every time I got to the words, "dona eis requiem," I burst into tears. I didn't know how I'd get through singing at the Mass (I was scheduled to sing during Communion). But it was too late to back out. All the way up to the time I walked up onto the altar to sing my piece I was praying, "Please help me get through this. Don't let me let Jim down..." And then my Moment of Truth arrived. Standing in the sanctuary next to the organ, I nodded to the organist and he played the sustained, one-chord introduction. I started to sing, and as I did so, I felt a presence with me, urging me on, "You can do this for Jim... " Whoever this unseen spiritual supporter was, he/she helped me get through the piece without breaking down in front of the congregation. As I finished the piece I walked off the altar, collapsed into a convenient pew, and gave vent to my pent-up tears.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago. I was touring around Ireland with a friend, and seeing as we were our own tour guides, we followed our own itinerary. Needless to say, one of our stops was to visit the graveyard where my boyfriend Jim is buried. We had been there before, so there was not much trouble finding it again. My friend left me alone as I knelt and prayed over Jim's grave, and yes, even all this time later I shed some tears -- we loved each other very much. And then I got back in the car, and my friend and I continued on our way.

My friend and I discovered a nice Classical music station on the car radio which we played when my friend (who did all the driving, bless her) felt she wouldn't be distracted by the music if she was trying to find the right road to get us to our next destination. So, we were comfortably on the road again, and we decided to turn the radio on. About the second or third piece they played after we turned the radio on was the "Pie Jesu" from Faure's Requiem. I gasped when I heard it come on. My friend (who attended Jim's memorial Mass in Queens) took her eyes off the road long enough to meet mine. "I don't think that's a coincidence," she said. "They don't play pieces like that very often on the radio. I think this is Jim's way of telling you he knows about your visiting his grave earlier today..." I shed a few more tears, thinking of Jim, but felt comforted that he knew I said an "Ave" for him, and that is grave is "warmer, sweeter" for it...

Other hauntings by JerseyGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JerseyGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-07)
Sorry for your loss but sweet story ❤
I hope you are at peace and living a happy life. I'm sure he still looks over you and is at peace where he now resides 😊 ❤
captainchris (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-03)
Lived in ireland all my life worked in jackson heights nyc... Distance has no rule for the heart or the spirit... It is good you got a sign everything will be ok the irish and irish-american are very spiritual... All is well chris
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
one of the well said story of ygs ans it is surprising me that you are singing and how affection you show jersey cannot comment more on your story more
Scary boy
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-20)
Hello, JerseyGirl. I would like to say that I'm very sorry for your loss... And I'm very proud of you for your bravery in singing for him like that. It takes a lot of strength, and I'm glad that someone was able to comfort you. I also believe that the song came on just for you as a message from your dear Jim. Blessings for you both!

Regards,
DA
jonesblue (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
very very sweet story...

Oh and it is good for him to let you know that he is ok. He might even be your guardian angel and help you at all times. You are very lucky knowing that he is still with you! Very nice story and I nearly got emotional. Thankyou!
JerseyGirl (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
MeganKay, Jim died in the 1990s. I was able to go to Ireland in 2000, and found his grave on that trip. (I knew where the cemetary was beforehand.) This last trip in April was only the second time I'd been to Ireland with the opportunity to pay Jim another "visit..."
megankay (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
😭 😭 Oh...I'm so sorry... And I wouldn't take the incident as a coincindeince either. I pretty sure he was saying he missed you and loved you. I bout cried... May I ask how long ago he died?
❤ MeganKay
crmanddkp (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
wow I'm soory about your boyfriend I don't know what I would do if my boyfriend died but that true is an amazing story I agree with your friend that it wasn't a coincidence that he truely was trying to tell you he knew! 😁 my boyfriend is going to iraq for 2 years and if he dies I would know how you feel so I really can't say I do but god bless you I believe jim is extremely happy with you! 😁 ❤
JerseyGirl (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
Thank you all for your heartfelt comments to my story. I'm sorry I didn't respond to any comments sooner, but I was away for the weekend, and didn't get home to check this site until this morning.

For the record, Jim always used to joke with me that he was a bit "fay," in the sense that he was touched in some special way by the faeries (he was from Sligo in western Ireland, and grew up very near the mystical mountain Ben Bulben). I never saw any proof of this while he was alive, but I've sensed it since he died. And yes, I have often thought that the presence I felt with me as I sang at his memorial Mass was Jim himself.

Finally, I'll quote from the second verse of "Danny Boy":

...You'll come and find the place where I am lying,/and kneel and say an "Ave" there for me./And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me,/and all my grave will warmer, sweeter be;/For you will bend and tell me that you love me...
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-11)
aw... That is lovely x

Jim...

if that is you he probably wanted to say...

thank you and that he loves you for singing that beautiful song! X
littlelaura33 (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-10)
Thanks for sharing it and god bless you and jim. I also think your friend was right, he was telling you that he knew you were there. I think he really loves you and It was a touching and personal thing for him to do.
ll33xxx ❤ 😭 😊
xxbabyhannah (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-10)
I am very sorry for your loss 😢. This story touched me very much. Good luck with your singing. Jim should be very happy for you.

God Bless 😁
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-10)
My deepest condolances and blessings to you. God works in mysterious ways sometimes, taking the one you love most away from you. But I do believe he was letting you know he knew you had visited his grave. I had a smiliar experience when my grandfather passed away a few years back.

God bless
Marshall 😁
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Sounds like you two had something very special. I definitely believe you had two very profound experiences. Just being able to sing that song and know you were being helped by a loving presence (Jim)? Or a guardian angel or a passed family member had to mean much to you that sorrowful day. I also agree with your friend about the song on the radio. No coincidence. The veil between dimensions is said to be very thin at times when conditions are right. I am so sorry for your loss but you now know Jim is alive and well on the otherside so I hope that is a comfort to you.
toastymarshy (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
I am so sorry about your boyfriend and I think your friend is right he was trying to send you a message. 😊
RoseForEmily (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Your story has touched me so much, I literally had tears in my eyes. It's a very beautiful and sad experience.
I personally believe that love can outlive death.
I'm sorry for your loss, but as you witnessed, Jim is still somewhere, the message on the radio was his way of telling you he loves you.
😊

(Your story also convinced me to join this site.)

Thank you for sharing this,
Sadie
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
I am very sorry for your loss. Those who say time heals all wounds, well... I disagree. Time may make it easier to get through the pain, but it does not heal.

I believe Jim knew this as well. He knew the courage it took for you to sing at his memorial mass and he knew how it hurt when you visited his grave site. The song coming on the radio was his way of letting you know he is around and although is unable to tell you that out right, he found a way.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story with us!

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Im am very sorry for your loss. I mean that with all my heart. The love you showed to Jim is amazing>Your Family should be very proud of you. I to believe that this was not a coincedence. I think Jim was telling you how much he loved you and will always be with you. Thanks for sharring this heart felt story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Once again, I'm very sorry for your loss JerseyGirl.

I found your story so very touching -you seem to have an amazing gift for communicating your feelings to your readers.

I have no doubt that Jim was there beside you, not only when you visited his resting place but on that journey as well. I've heard it before that "love knows no boundaries of time or space-it can cross mountains and oceans" if it is to bring two yearning hearts together.

Feel blessed for the love you felt. Some people can live a life-time never finding the "significant other"

Thank you
Tammy ❤
velvet1 (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
I'm sorry for your loss 😢. I know it's really hard to see your love ones dying. But I think Jim is just saying that even though he is gone, he wants you to stop being sad. He will always be part of you and will be always be supporting you. I think when our love ones leave, they must feel bad as well. They don't want anyone suffering, so they might try to give you signs to comfort us. They're in a better place now, learning each experience when they were here on earth from the good and bad.

I wish good luck with everything as well as your singing. I bet when you sing it makes Jim very happy 😊.
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Sorry for your loss, and that is such a sweet story.;D
Hope Jim still looks over you and I'm sure he's happy that you're happy. Let's hope he doesn't watch over you at private moments... >.>

You to jim: What are you? My peeping guardian angel?

Lol!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: