You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Felt Like A Message From My Mom

Real Ghost Stories

Felt Like A Message From My Mom

 

My mom died in March of 2010. Around Christmas time that year, I was online gift shopping, but started feeling mopey thinking about how Christmas wouldn't be the same without her, and my heart wasn't in it. A few hours later I took the bins down the driveway for pickup the next day. As I was walking back up the driveway, I saw a Polaroid photograph face down, and picked it up. It was a photo I'd taken of my son on Christmas Day when he was about 14 (about 11 or 12 years prior to this), smiling and handing a present to someone.

I was completely baffled, because it wasn't a photo that I'd ever carried in my purse, which might have fallen out on the driveway. It just lived with all my other photos, either in albums or desk drawers. As I looked at it, a message came through clear as day. I don't mean that I heard a voice or anything like that. But it was like a sudden understanding that my mom was telling me, 'You know how you are sad about Christmas without me, your mom? Well, *you* are a mom too, and you're important to my grandson, and his Christmas memories are going to involve you, just like your memories about me do.' It really was as if a light bulb went on in my head, and in that moment, I broke out of that quasi-dread about Christmas, and got more into a festive mood.

Even though I love hearing about possible paranormal stories, when it comes to myself, I always try to find a rational explanation. Not because I absolutely want it to be logically explained, but because I want to avoid talking myself into something, based on wishful thinking or something like that. But I've never been able to find a reasonable explanation for why any photo, let alone a Christmas one, landed face down on my driveway. So thought I'd share this, because even though it isn't technically a ghost story, it might help people who may be grieving a loved one look for signs like that, and feel hope that their loved one is still looking out for them.

Thanks for reading this, and stay well, everybody, in these crazy times.

Other hauntings by VeronicaMarie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, VeronicaMarie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-17)
Oh Haven, after reading your message I just went and read your story 'His Favorite,' and I am in awe. Also teary-eyed. That is one of the most amazing things I've ever read about departed loved ones. (And that is after having read a ton of books on the subject!) Thank you so much for having shared that story, and for your kind message. Take good care.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-17)
Hi Veronica-Marie

One of the first stories I submitted here was of a message I received from my deceased Dad. Like yours, it came exactly at the time I needed it the most. I also know what you mean when you say that messages and comments from people here lifted your heart and convinced you that what you got was a message from your mom. I felt the same way. In fact, those comments validated my feeling that this was a message from my dad. It motivated me to submit many more of my experiences. I was finally able to share my experiences without feeling I wasn't going to be believed.

Take care and stay safe.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
I absolutely, positively believe that the messages of the deceased, angels, and other inter-dimensional beings manifest themselves in intuitions, "gut" feelings, insights, and premonitions. You can continue to be rational if you want - that is okay. But I believe you were contacted in exactly the way that you suspect.
blckwdnsdy (6 stories) (32 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-08)
Hello,

Two days ago, I was talking to a friend of mine about the supposed signs we receive from the loved ones who passed away. I wrote a short story on my blog on the theme of death and reading it was a bit hard for her, because she remembered about her father who died a few years ago. She told me that maybe I would consider her crazy, but that she believes in this kind of signs.

I told her she is not crazy. I do believe that they sometimes interract with us, to let us know they are still watching over us and I think that we can send our love as well towards them, even though we don't belong to the same world anymore.

I also told her that if you do believe you can get signs from them and communicate with them and do that, you have nothing to lose, even though this conection is not real. Sometimes, believing in such a bond can help you cope with a loss.

I haven't had such events or maybe had but I shrugged them off. Anyway, I find it absolutely beautiful believing that we can still somehow communicate with them, not "wishful thinking".

I wish you the best. ❤
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-07)
LFrog, I am so sorry for the losses you suffered, one right after the other. I can't even imagine how painful that must have been.

I became a bit obsessed with signs after my mom died. I think a lot of that obsession may have been driven by being in a form of denial that she was gone (even though she was almost 90 when she died, and her death was expected). I read a ton of books about signs in the weeks and months after she died, which really helped me deal with it. They can be really subtle, like a certain song coming on the radio, right while you're thinking of your parents. One that you associate with them in some way. I do struggle with wondering if I'm doing the wishful thinking thing, but at the same time, there's such a comforting feeling about it. And when I read Manafon's recent story (it's under the title 'An Invisible Clock Ticking), I felt myself moving more towards conviction that our loved ones really are looking out for us. That maybe it hasn't been wishful thinking after all.
LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-07)
I lost my mother and father in September 2009 and Christmas that year just basically didn't exist for me so I totally understand. My mother died very unexpectedly and was only 64 (she had a stroke). My father, who was 16 years older, had a series of heart attacks having already suffered from heart disease and dementia, and went five days later.

I *wish* I had a sign from either of them after they passed. Instead, I would do things that I imagined would make her proud and that helped me a little. My sister in law also admitted to me she was sensitive and told me about a couple of very vivid dreams she had of my parents, together and happy. She was convinced they were sending us a message. As I am something of an agnostic, if not outright atheist, I don't know whether it was that or just a dream, but it's nice to imagine it was them.

VeronicaMarie, I am very glad you got your message and was able to interpret its meaning so clearly. It sounds like she is still looking out for you and her grandson, which is a wonderful thought.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-07)
VeronicaMarie & RC - Thanks to both of you for your kind responses.

RC - Yes perhaps my mom did try but I probably missed the signs. I know that sounds strange because I should have been open to her.

VM - "You feel as though you have lost your moorings." A good description. I always say my foundations were knocked out from under me and I had to start rebuilding.

Go well.

Regards, Melda
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Melda, you weren't selfish at all. Grief over losing one's mother leaves us feeling like we've lost our moorings. Don't ever beat yourself up about that. Sending you hugs.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
[at] Melda: It is possible your mom did, or at least tried to, give you a kick. Sometimes, we get so caught up in grief and anguish at the loss that we shut out the world. This is thing we should never do.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
VeronicaMarie - A very thought provoking experience.

The message your mom conveyed to you is so very true. This experience of yours has really hit home for me too. I was truly devastated when my mom passed away and I now realise that I must have been very selfish in my grief. I also hated Christmas, special days and so on until I gradually learned to live with it. I wish my mother had given me a kick in the butt during that phase, or at least a good talking to!

Be very grateful to your mom for that wake-up call.

Regards, Melda
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
Maria, RCRuskin, and Rajine, thank you so much for your messages. They all lifted my heart, and moved me away from the 'oh, it's just wishful thinking' thing that I tend to do.

RCRuskin, that Dickens essay was so beautiful that it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so very much.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
Hello VeronicaMarie,

What a wonderful story! I think you are right in trying to explore all avenues to find a logical explanation. Not for the sake of being a sceptic; but, like you said, so you won't mislead yourself when the message is so important to your heart.

I think the coincidences were too great. You were in a low place and you didn't want to face the season without your mother. I believe she sent you this message and I believe you interpreted the way it was intended.

- Maria
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
Charles Dickens wrote quite a few Christmas focused ghost stories, though only one seems to have any sort of following. "What Christmas Is As We Grow Older" is a lesser known one, but a favorite of mine. He writes in it how we welcome friends and loved ones into our homes on this blessed day, even those who have passed on to "the shadow of a vast City where the withered leaves are lying deep? Not the shadow that darkens the whole globe? Not the shadow of the City of the Dead?"

You can read the whole story here if you wish: https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/67/dickens-christmas-stories/3955/what-christmas-is-as-we-grow-older/
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
I believe that it was definitely a message from beyond that was sent to you by your mother, departed family members are always watching and guiding us, all we have to do is look around us to see the small signs.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: