You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: 3:00 AM Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

3:00 AM Ghost

 

I moved into my townhouse in November 2002. I bought this house because of the location; it's in my hometown and near where I grew up. It was built in 1981. As a child I rode the dirt bike trails on the land where my house is. Before that, in the 1960's, the land was a sand pit owned by a large company. Before that it was a small part of a big farm owned by a wealthy farming family.

The first year here I lived alone. I had a strange feeling about the house in the first few months. I remember waking up to strange sounds late at night. Houses make sounds, noise... Not a big deal.

In April 2003 I decided to get two kittens. At the time I worked the overnight shift, I would get home about 6am. Many mornings I would come home and the kittens would be wedged, hiding between the stove and the fridge. I ended up stuffing the hole with a paper towel roll. I didn't think much of it.

Months later, when the kittens had become cats, I came home and walked into the loudest cat howl I have ever heard. I found one of my cats on the kitchen floor, every hair on her body standing up, next to her was her own feces. My first thought was that the cats were fighting. Then I noticed the other cat nearby just curiously looking on. For the next few weeks if I couldn't find the cat that had howled I would find her in the basement in a tight cubby hole right above my water heater. It was impossible to get her out, she was terrified of something. Note- When a thunderstorm strikes, this cat is less than an inch away from the ground, dashing at full speed until she finds her safe spot.

In January 2004 I came home to a flooded basement. The weather had been well below zero for weeks, and then began to thaw. As a result a water pipe leading outside had burst. A neighbor had called the city while I wasn't home and saved the day. Water was shooting out of a basement window when the city worker arrived and shut off my water line. -This is a common thing in Minnesota, it happens. I had made sure that that pipe was turned off earlier that fall. The city wouldn't turn my water back on until they inspected. After the inspection they told me the link to that pipe was barely turned enough for water to get through it.

In August 2004 my 19 year old nephew moved in. By that time I was working the day shift, my nephew was working overnights. His girlfriend moved in during June of 2006. Nothing really strange happened while they lived here, nothing that stands out in memory. They moved out in February 2008.

In April 2008 I was awoken in the middle of the night, around 4 am, by one of my cats. I was laying with my face on the edge of the bed. She was at the edge of the bed meowing constantly. I smelled a strong sent of gas. One of the burners on my stove had been turned on without being ignited. Amazed at this little feat my cat had just done, I thought maybe she was the one who had turned it on accidentally and wanted to make sure she fixed her mistake. This cat may have just saved my life.

In the middle of the night, July 2008, the smoke alarm right outside my bedroom door woke me up. The first thing I did was look at my alarm clock and it was 3:00 am on the nose. Startled I jumped out of bed and went right to the smoke alarm hitting the test button. The high pitched alarm stopped. I searched the house and found nothing. Afterward I couldn't sleep. I kept watching the cat that woke me up in April. My bedroom is on the third level. I had left the door wide open because I was concerned about the smoke alarm; if something was wrong I wanted to know it. The doorway leads into a hallway that ends at a staircase going down to the second level. This cat wouldn't stop looking out the door. I tried petting her, picking her up and moving her but, she had her eyes stuck on that doorway, looking down at the second level. I eventually fell back asleep.

That morning I went to work and told my smoke alarm story, how strange it was that it went off right at 3 am on the nose. One of my co-workers told me that 3 am is the most spiritual hour of the night, that he had read that somewhere. The gas thing in April came up because I had told that story too... Middle of the night around 3 am... That evening I searched "3 am ghost" on google and was shocked at what I found.

So now, here I sit in my bedroom, not looking forward to 3 am. I feel shivers and had goose bumps when I started writing this. Am I just a little freaked out? Yes! And my cats? They're not helping because as I finish this up they're sitting on my bed looking out the doorway, both of them!

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ScottD, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

justinwoo3112001 (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-10)
Where was your mom and dad? Because if your parents are not here who was in your house?
Zman08 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-09-21)
I know a buddy of mine including myself that has had an experience with 3am (Exactly!) paranormal activities. My story begins about a year ago when I was sleeping in one of the rooms in my parents' house. I suddenly awoke in the middle of the night at exactly 3am, I stared at my alarm clock when it suddenly turned 3:01am. For some reason I was starring out at the window towards my neighbor's backyard. All of a sudden, their outdoor light turned on for about a minute or so before automatically shutting off. This was no ordinary outdoor light though. My neighbors had one of those sensory lights that automatically turned on when someone approached the door or got close to it, usually installed to keep away robbers. What was most interesting about this event was that no one was seen going in or out of there house through that door. If there was, I would have been able to see their shadows, but in this case, the lights just turned on for no apparent reason. I did not think about the possibilities until after I awoke and until after I started hearing about 3am being the most spiritualistic time of day. Just thought I shared it because it seemed to have a lot in common with your story, that's all.
Leanne (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-15)
To haunted2009... Stop spamming your site!
You are not leaving any constructive advice to the person who posted their experience.
BoyPinoy160 (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-10)
Try Dogs... (But Dogs Are Even Scarier Cause they bark if they see an evil spirit or anything scary or etc... 😐 😐 😐
zack1392 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
oh man... 3 am.
I would always wake up at 3:00 or 3:15 exactly and everytime I would feel a little bit...electified. You know the feeling you get when something seems off or the tense feeling.
And this story also backs up my life plan of always having a cat
My cat used to never come near me... Now all she does is stay with me. Maybe your cat is trying to protect you. Put out some voice recorders when your cats start hollering and ask some questions
SkAlArIaK (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
I agree 100% about the 3:00 am thing... However what I will never understand is how stuff happen at 3:00 around the world considering that time zones change and daylight saving time and standard time make a big difference on what time it is... Hm... Someone may be able to explain?:)
peekaboo (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-01)
hey that must a been spooky and ya'll cats they are even spookier no ofence. Could of something be contating the cats like the farmer whos farm had been there many years before and he is wanting to pull down ya'lls house. I don't know exactly.
From
Peekaboo 😨 😲
kimberly (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-07)
Scott,
We had a cat who lived to be nearly 20 years old. Over the years we saw things like that. Animals are on a whole different frequency! The day after my dad died, I walked into his bedroom where this cat was, and the poor beast had just had something scare him. He made the exact same motion and sound that he made when my dad would play with him. Those reactions were reserved just for him. I think my dad made a little visit to the only thing in the house that wasn't overcome with grief. So I believe your cats are sensing danger and something bad - evil, wicked, sinister -whatever you want to call it. The only other thing I can tell you is that more deaths occur between 2am and 5am supposedly. One other thing, Man, it knows you're alone because nothing really weird happened when your nephew and his girlfriend lived there. Get renters quick! Good Luck!
lilprincess (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
hey SCOTTD,

That is quite a cool story
What you should do is get a specialist in and do a saonce to send the "thing" back to where it belongs 😁

Lots of love
Lilprincess
❤ ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
Very good advice JamesRobiscoe. I would have suggested the same thing. Something is spooking those cats. I have 4 cats and none of them ever acted like that. Something had to scare them. I did have an encounter one night when I woke with the overwhelming feeling I was being stared at. I awoke to see the figure of a man outlined in twinkle lights. My one cat happened to be between my feet and had no reaction what so ever. As soon as I became fully awake which was seconds, the form disappeared. Had it been a real encounter I think the cat would have reacted and all he did was look at me like I disturbed his sleep. What you encountered seems much more real with the cats reactions to back it up. Glad that cat woke you up. Animals know when something is wrong especially when it has to do with smells. They have great noses. Kudos to your feline friends. I love mine to pieces. I would hope they would do the same for me.
tink301 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
First off, thank you for your story I loved it.😁 Second, I've heard that animals are able to see the paranormal. (creepy) I think that children can also see these creepy creatures. But what's really creepy is I recently moved into my aunts old room and my 2 year old cousin (who has seen ghosts before) looked at the place wher I sleep and started screaming for his mom! 😨 My aunt only told me this today and I'm freaked! Well thanks for the story hope to hear from you soon! ❤
coolcat12 (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
That is very, very creepy. My puppy does the same thing in our living room. He stares at the same corner a lot of the time he is down there. Also, that spot is always "cold..." It is a very scary thing. I would always keep my light on at night. 😁
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Not meaning to belittle your experiences but it would seem to me that there are rational explanations for each of your experiences. Pipes freeze and burst in cold weather, cats are curious as well as crazy, and smoke detectors sometimes malfunction. The truth of the matter is that only you know for sure if it was paranormal, seeing how it was you that experienced it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Thats prettey cool (HI) to have a cat that gurdes you like that. 😉I really liked the story. Hope to hear from you soon.
GIRLIE 😁 ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Scott,
Yes, it is true 3 AM is said to be a very spiritually active time.

I would say whatever is attracting your cats attention is also desiring your attention. As each of these events you have described can and could be potentially harmful, having what ever it is vacate your home would probably best.

Talk to 'it'. Tell 'it' to leave your home, that is is not welcome there. You will not let 'it' use the energy from your fear for its uses.

Pray. Pray, pray, pray. Pray aloud. Place at least one cross in each of the rooms of your home, especially the bedroom.

If these suggestions do not fit with your belief system I would suggest receiving spiritual guidance in another form.

Keep us posted!
God Bless!
Nordic (44 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
This is so freaky. I had a similar experience not long ago. Came home find my Pekingese covered in her own faeces, going totally nuts. My kitchen floor was covered in it and she obviously tried to get away from whatever it was that scared her so much, because I found her paw marks smeared on my cupboards almost to where the kitchen zinc starts. Needless to say, I have the only key to enter the premises; all my windows were burglar barred and closed; as well as the sliding doors... Just two days ago she kept doing what your cats do - looking at the front door with a whole lot of interest, but not going towards it like when she knows someone she is familiar with is on his/her way. I even tried to bribe her with treats, but to no avail. I guess that is what freaks me out most - the fact that I don't know what she is seeing... Keep well.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
That is a very scary story. I believe that some things can be explained but honestly I think there is something there. I'm not sure what it is but there is something there. Cats usually see more then people do. The same goes with dogs. They might not have a good sight but they sure feel more then we do. If your cats are going crazy then there is something going on. Thanks for sharring this story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Scott welcome to the site and thank you for a most interesting account.

I can understand your fear while watching your animals distracted by something invisible to your eyes. My dogs have done that a few times and I was terrified!

I don't want to rush to certain conclusions but, from your description of the events, I wouldn't say there's someone craving for attention. I'm inclined to think you've got someone there seeing YOU as an uninvited and unwanted guest!

I can't even be sure if all these are just attempts to scare you away. If I were you, I'd be prepared for anything.

My point is, I believe you're not wanted there, period.

Try to find anything about past tenants so that, at least, you might come to know a bit more about what you're dealing with. This is something we very often advise people since many of us believe that learning some things about the identity of the deceased (if that's the case) person may help you understand and even anticipate their reactions towards you.

Learning, if possible about the way they died may also help you understand their reactions and whether they need to be assisted in some way. Sometimes by helping a spirit cross, you're "given back" your life and your home and if that's the case, it's worth the effort.

You might also need to cleanse your space to protect yourself and all those who live in or visit your house regularly. There are some very effective ways of doing that on our site as well.

In short, try to do a little research to see what you'll come up with and get back to us.

Thank you
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
There are many documented cases of animals performing heroic measures to save their human companions. Your watchcat can't help but be vigilant. The time between 3-4 a.m. (sometimes referred to as The Hour of the Wolf) is regarded since ancient times to be a period of high otherworldly activity. Perhaps if you got a thermal imaging camera or just a digital camera to take random shots when the cat is staring, you might "capture" some evidence. You may or may not, depending on your courage, but your experiences suggest something extraordinary could be occuring in your house, perhaps attached to previous owners or to the land.
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Animals are normally sensitive to spiritual activity. They may know some thing is there way before you even sense that some thing is wrong or occuring.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: