You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: La Cienega

Real Ghost Stories

La Cienega

 

"La Cienega" is a Spaniard hacienda built on the province of Cotopaxi-Ecuador. Two hundred years ago this hacienda served as home of Spaniard conquerors, they had thousands of indigenous people working on huge fields.

These haciendas were the heart of the economics in that time. Now, this hacienda is a touristic site, because is a building which has history. This hacienda has not been remodeled or modified it has been kept the same way as it was two hundred years ago. The hacienda works as an inn, and has the name of "la cienega".

It was late October; I went to the cienega to spend a weekend outside the city. My younger sister and brother were scared because they knew this place was supposed to be haunted.

There is a legend which says, that the Africans and indigenous people who worked on this hacienda suffered everyday, they were slaves, and working schedules were so harsh, most of the slaves died in the middle of the task. And their bodies were buried in the fields.

It was Saturday in the night, after we at dinner in the hacienda restaurant, my parents went ahead to their room with my sister. Five minutes later, I went with my brother. As we were walking through a hallway, my brother just fell to the ground, he said he felt something grasping his foot.

There was no one, and there were no doors on that hallway, from which, a prankster could play a joke. I felt cold, and seen. I continued to walk very fast to our room. That midnight my brother woke up screaming because he said that he felt that someone was pulling his feet. I calmed him for a couple of minutes, and took him to my parent's room. I returned to my room.

I went to the bathroom to pick up a bottle of water because I was thirsty, when I stared at the mirror. At my side I saw a face, the face was ugly and seemed to be rotting, and I simply fainted. I woke up at nine o clock. I checked my arms and they had scratches, as like those of a cat, but instead, these were only two lines in each arm. I was freaked out.

That next day I talked to a staff member and told him of what happened the other night. For my surprise, he simply told me that these kinds of experiences are weird. Although, that hacienda has a certain reputation of haunted.

A week later, I learned that this place gets its name "la cienega" from the translation from the Spanish, what means is "the swamp" because the Spaniards not only buried corpses on the ground, but mainly on a nearby swamp, which is about a five miles from the main house (where the inn works). And local people say that the spirits which inhabit the hacienda are enraged spirits who seek vengeance from their cruel masters.

Other hauntings by Carlos

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Carlos, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
Wow that was a creepy story. As Bellisma said I'm not surprised that there are so many spirits there. There is so much history in that place! Thanks again for sharring this with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Carlos, como estas? Wow! Yet another scare. You have had quite a few experiences! This is a very interesting story. Especially, since you were able to give us some background on la cienega. I am really sorry that you were wounded during your experience, but the slaves are angry. Hope to hear more stories from you soon. Responde lo mas pronto que puedas y que dios lo bendiga. ❤ Jasmin
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Whoa! That story gave me goosebumps! I have been on vacation for 2 weeks and have missed out on so many great stories like yours. I usually only comment on the stories that I get excited and scared about reading and this is one of them!
Do you think you will ever go back? If you do, try to take some pictures! 😊
ailya (2 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
What an interesting and frightening story! I feel so terrible for those poor souls, lost and doomed to relive their pain even in the afterlife. I hope someday someone will help them move on. Thanks for the great read.

Blessed be.
CuriousDave (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Great story! And by great I mean creepy! It's sad to think that those souls have been there for 200 plus years. I hope Karma gave the owners what they deserved. Thank you for the story.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hi Carlos. Thank you for sharing your story. I guess it's not very surprising that the spirits linger there. The history is so tragic. The suffering makes me so sad, those poor souls are so tormented and still suffering. You really had a terrible experience there, both you and your brother.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: