You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Ghost In My Bedroom

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost In My Bedroom

 

How do I begin? This happened many years ago and is still as fresh in my mind as the night it happened. It was 1965. I belonged to a large family of four kids and as such, we required a big home. My parents searched and found a great deal on a house in the El Sobrante, California area. It was a bit run down but spacious enough for all us kids.

I have always had quite a bit of psychic ability. It is not unusual for me to know who is at the door or when the phone is going to ring, etc. As a small child, I often saw people that I thought were real, only to be teased by my older sister because the person was "unseen" by her.

Back to my account of this house. We went with our parents to see this wonderful house that was going to be all ours. Wow, no more apartments! The house was and still is, four bedrooms, two upstairs, two downstairs, a living room, large country kitchen, two car garage and a huge weeping willow in the ample backyard. The front yard was small and surrounded by a five foot tall hedge. Nevertheless, we were all excited.

We went into the house and immediately, I could barely breath. I could tell that we were being watched. I was especially leery of the smallest bedroom down stairs. It felt ominous. I knew that this house was bad. I was really, really uncomfortable.

While my parents signed the final papers and received the keys from the realtor, we busied ourselves in the yard. We met up with a couple of the local kids there that couldn't wait to tell us that a murder and suicide had occurred in the house the prior year. The house had been vacant since then.

It seems that the former owners had many marital problems because he was quite the drinker. He got drunk one day and shot his wife to death while she sat at the dining room table. The postman heard the shot and knocked on the door. I guess he must have figured that it was a car backfiring. It was 1965 after all, so backfiring was not unusual.

The postman left and the man proceeded to shoot his own head off right in the opening between the kitchen and the living room. All four of us kids were enraptured by the tale, but I have to admit it scared the daylights out of me.

When we moved in, my Mom removed the current living room drapes to put up her own. It was then that she noticed that the drapes hung much further along the wall than the window. She surmised it was to cover up an ugly stain on the wall next to the front door.

She set about painting the room to cover up the mark. It looked just like a handprint. It was the color of chocolate milk, so Mom told us someone had rubbed milk on the wall. I can't believe we were that gullible but we believed her. She painted and painted and painted that spot but it still bled through. She ended up having her new drapes made long enough to cover the mark, just like the old drapes had done.

As all this was going on we, of course, tried to settle into our new house. We heard footsteps from time to time on the floors while all of us were watching television. They were hardwood floors with area rugs, so the footsteps were distinctive. Of course, Mom and Dad put them off as the house settling. I guess ten year old houses still need to settle?

I became more and more frightened of the house. I was uncomfortable when I was in there alone during the day and down right terrified at night. We found all sorts of hidden full wine bottles in the attic and in the garage and other unusual items. Many times I sensed that all of us were being watched through the windows from the backyard.

I was originally assigned to the large downstairs bedroom with my younger sister. Many times, the closet opened up by itself during the night and I always felt that I was being watched.

My older sister was given the small bedroom downstairs. She became a perpetual furniture mover in an effort to make herself feel safe in the room. No matter where she put her bed, she felt uncomfortable. She became such an insomniac that Mom moved her into the room with my sister and put me in the scary room.

This didn't last long as I woke up my parents many nights screaming my head off that there was someone staring at me from the window. I know that someone was looking in but when Dad went outside, there was never any one there.

Finally Mom and Dad moved my older sister back to that room and me back with little sister. I will never ever forget that night.

I was soundly asleep and was awakened by the feeling of someone in the room. I looked toward the door and there was an older woman standing there in a long while flannel type nightgown. She was staring at me. I threw the covers over my head. After a minute or so, I peeled the blankets back and she was now standing right next to me. I was terrified!

I looked at her, she looked at me and then she turned around and walked, or floated, slowly out of the bedroom. I have no idea what possessed me to follow her, but I did. I was a skinny eleven year old girl. I should have been still shaking in my bed but I followed her through the living room and up the stairs to my brother's room. I saw her go in there but when I got into his room, there was no one but my sleeping brother in there.

Mom was awakened by the foot falls on the stairs and asked me what I was doing. I was so terrified I mumbled something incoherent. Mom just sent me back to my bed. I laid there shaking, all night long. I saw the woman a couple of other times and still 42 years later, dream occasionally of that house.

We had other odd occurrences and only lasted one year in that house before Mom and Dad sold it for less than they paid, just so we could leave.

I have sent a letter to the address telling them my story but never got any type of reply. No doubt, they chalked my letter up as some kind of nut. I am not a nut and have a professional job in Government. I just would like to finally put this ghost to rest.

Has anyone out there ever had a similar experience in an older house in El Sobrante?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nevadaghosthunter, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nightshade (40 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-26)
one time, I was in a house, and it was in new westminster, rousseau street. My adress was 413. I have moved twice after that. Me and my boyfriend always felt like there was always someone... Or something watching us. We tried the ouija board game, and it said that there was little a girl in the house with us. We asked if it wanted to hurt Matt, my boyfriend, and it slowly put down "yes". We were scared, but we kept on going. We asked it a lot of questions, and then I remembered that it wanted to hurt Matt. I asked if wanted to hurt or kill him, and it said hurt. Then, I asked how, and it said "badly", then quickly said goodbye. We were terrified, but for 6 weeks, nothing happened. We had forgotten about it, until we found the ouija board, in a the storage closet, covered in dust and spiders. I cleaned it off, and while Matt was at work, I decided to try this thing out. First, I asked it why I hadn't damaged him yet, and it didn't reply. I asked it about 7 more times until it said "because you haven't given me the chance. I asked if it was angry, and it said yes. Then, I asked why, and it said "because you left me in the closet." then, I asked how much longer Matt was going to last, and the spirit said "unknown". I began asking it random questions, until a question I always wanted to know, hit me. I asked when and how I was going to die, and then I asked how and when Matt was going to die. First, it said that I was going to live until 23, and it said that I would get poisoned. I gasped, but then asked about my poor, poor boyfrined. It said that he was going to die that day, and that he was going to get his ankles cut off. I couldn't control myself. I screamed, and through the ouija board on the floor. It spelled down "NAZI", then floated back onto the table. I was speechless. I wanted to phone Matt, but I couldn't get myself to. I waited, and sat there, asking the spirit questions that I thought would calm it down, or at least appear innocent to it. I asked what it's favorite colour was, and it put down black. I asked what it's favorite food was, and it said, I don't have one. Then, I asked it how it died, and it immediatly slammed me against the wall, winding me. I tried to get back up, but something was choking me. My eyes closed, and then I went unconscious. When I woke up, I was lying on the couch, and the ouija board was on the table next to me. Then, Matt came in with chicken soup, and nestea. We moved out of that place a long time ago, but I still feel like someone is watching me.
texasgal (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-26)
wow, you must have been scared being 11 years old... Good story, I enjoyed reading it. Keep them coming...
fallenangel94 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
Hi Nevada, I know what you mean I had a similar experience when I was eight years old, this happened 23 years ago and I still dream this house. Maybe you should try looking it up, you might find out what really happened, and maybe you have some kind of attatchment to this house. Look forward to hearing from you.
GOD Bless 😊
Nevadaghosthunter (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
I have tried to contact the current owner but to no avail. I would like to go back and investigate the place now that I am an adult and know what I am doing.
Anybody ever hear of something similar in this part of California?
I really want to know if the haunting continued/continues.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
Now that sounds like a very scary story. I realy enjoyed reading it. It realy got scared! Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Easykiel (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
Bravo for following the ghost, braver child than I was to be sure! This sounds like a true haunting, and not just a residual either, it's just a shame that you can't go back to that house to hold a vigil, now that you're older.
xashliix (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Hmm... That's strange. I wonder why she went into your brothers room? Maybe she just wanted your help. Did you ever feel like she would harm you?
Nevadaghosthunter (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Hey Claudia,
Actually, my younger sister and I made a trip back to that area and drove past the house. It appears to be occupied by some kind of contractor. There have been some changes to the yard areas and of course the house has been painted a different color but it is still standing.
I tried to build up the courage to knock on the door but I chickened out.
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Hey Nevada,

Maybe there's just nobody there to answer the letter:)...scary stuff!,
God bless,
Claudia

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: