You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Thing In The Back Bedroom

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing In The Back Bedroom

 

Apologies for the long read and if it gets scrambled it's because I'm still get scared.

I've always known something was weird about the back bedroom at my dad's house, I lived there from being a month old until I was in my 20s, It was for the most part me, my dad and my two brothers as my mum and dad split up when I was in year 4. That's when things got bad I guess.

So, a little about the house, I'm not exactly sure how old it is but there are the remains of air raid shelters buried under some of the neighbour's gardens (just to give a suggestion of how old it could be).

Inside the house the stairs are in the middle of the house splitting up the living room and dining room. From the landing you turn right to get into my dad's bedroom, turn left to get into my brothers' bedroom and go through my brothers' room to get to the back bedroom, which was my bedroom, it was small, dropped down a level and the roof was slanted.

Growing up I always felt, watched? Uneasy? Just generally not comfortable in the back bedroom, I'd tell my dad but he is a very stern, no nonsense kind of man so just dismissed it.

Then I started getting cuts all over my chest and arms in the night, I cut my nails really short and it still happened every night. They stung really bad too. I questioned my brothers, just in case and obviously they asked me why they would bother doing something so odd.

One day there was a butterfly in my bedroom, just to understand why this was a problem, the windows in our house didn't open, and the journey from the back or front door to the back bedroom would have been nearly impossible, on top of that, I am absolutely terrified of butterflies, have been my whole life, it's like whatever lived in there knew and was taunting me. In the end I refused to sleep in the back bedroom anymore. I stayed in my dad's bedroom and he moved into the living room.

Even when I moved out of the room I felt like it was watching me when I was on the landing going into the front bedroom. I closed the back bedroom door and it died down, nothing happened again for years.

Fast forward to my 20s I became a mother and after I got my own place we visit my dad at the house all the time. We're all close.

My dad started doing odd jobs on the house after I moved to my own place to keep busy. One of the jobs involved making a corridor from the landing to the back bedroom. During this process the back bedroom was used as a storage room and the door was jammed open, that's when I instantly felt watched whenever I went up the stairs again but, with the new corridor it felt like whatever it was could get closer.

I tried bringing it up with my dad again and again he dismissed it.

One night I was taking the youngest (around 2 years old at the time) upstairs to sleep in the front bedroom and when she got to the landing she looked down the corridor and pointed and started crying while saying "monster" this happened a few times, sometimes she would point to the top of the stairs and cry, like it was like it was waiting for us. Makes me shudder just thinking about it now.

My dad's next project was turning my brothers' old bedroom into a proper guestroom for my daughters, so they didn't kick him out of his room when they went for sleepovers. Before the bunk beds got put up the girls wanted to "camp out" in the middle bedroom, so we blew up air beds and I was settling them for the night, the doorway for this room was right next to the back bedroom door, back bedroom door still wedged open and the door for the new room wasn't in yet. I just knew it was watching me but I kept my cool for the sake of the girls who seemingly didn't notice (they were 4 and 6 now) As I'm crouched down kissing my youngest on the forehead goodnight, I felt something grab my top and yank me to the ground, I was so scared. The girls asked me if I was okay and I reassured them that I'd just lost my balance this happened around July 20.

I haven't really been to my dad's since because of the pandemic and lockdowns so haven't experienced anything since then.

Although my dad doesn't believe it, I finally mentioned the incidents to my mum who lived in the house for a number of years and she confirmed she always felt scared of the back bedroom.

Side Story.

A different experience I had at my dad's, I don't think it was related to the back bedroom because it was when the back bedroom door was still closed. I was pregnant with my eldest and I was still living at my dad's. Me and my partner had a row and I was upset, I decided to go downstairs and was curled up on the sofa in the front room and at some point around 11 I'd fallen asleep, my dad left me on the sofa, turned off the tv, lights etc. At around 2am I was woken up by someone shouting really loud in my ear, to the point my eardrum was ringing. It was a male voice definitely not my dad or partner and I don't know what was said, if anything was said at all. I listened out thinking it was probably a drunk walking past the house mainly to try and calm myself down but my ear hurt so much. It was angry, but didn't cause as much fear as any of the back bedroom incidents.

Other hauntings by RoseyWren

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RoseyWren, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Shmenkman (1 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-03-25)
Hello,

Would you allow me to read your story on my YouTube-channel? The channel does not exist yet but I want to start one where I read interesting and creepy stories. I would include your name of course.

All the best!

Cheers
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
 
3 years ago (2021-02-08)
RoseyWren,
Thank you for your reply. I meant to say, 'your youngest has your ability to see spirits', not your eldest. Please keep us posted.

Best wishes
SWS😘
RoseyWren (5 stories) (1 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-02-07)
Hello sleeping-with-steve and Rajine, I haven't tried a cleansing, I think my stubborn dad would sense I was up to something and stop me 😆 I still see my dad often, he's my "support bubble" during the lockdowns, but more often at my house. As long as I stay downstairs at his house I'm okay,
As far as I'm aware my dad bought direct from previous tenants and they were a lovely old couple. Think they were the only previous tenants. There's no attic above the back bedroom either. I've searched for years for information on the house and nothing has come up for it. My dad's owned it 31 years now so before the days of online lol.

I'm glad I've never seen it, just feeling it is bad enough, I dread to think what my daughter saw. My eldest hasn't seen/felt it which is good.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-02-07)
I agree with [at] Sleeping-with-steve,in my hindu custom whenever we move in to a new place we always start with a cleansing and thanksgiving ritual, houses carry a lot of residual energy left by previous owners (negative energy that is perfect for dark enough to invite evil entities), maybe even someone died in the house and it could be a spirit that lingers around that specific spot, explanations are endless, another thing we believe is that children can sense certain things that adults cannot because they are innocent and pure souls, but it seems that dad doesn't believe in what you or your kids experienced so it may be hard to get him to do a cleansing, but I wish you and your kids all the best and protection.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+3
3 years ago (2021-02-07)
Hello RoseyWren,

Your post kept me interested until the end.

I don't think you should stop visiting your dad. I understand you fear the presence of whatever is occupying the back bedroom, however, your dad must love your visits and must love seeing you and his grandchildren.

Have you tried doing a cleansing? There's a great method for cleansing on this site. It's on a member's profile page. His name is Rookdygin. I use it to keep away unwelcome spirits. My home smells fresh and a calming soothing essence surrounds my home after I finish.

I'd be interested to know what the presence is. Have you seen an image of whatever is occupying the back bedroom? Have you checked if there's something in the loft directly above that room?

Your eldest daughter seems to have your ability to see this '?' whatever it is. If she's frightened, it must be a negative presence.

Please keep us posted on what is happening and welcome to 'Your ghost Stories'👻. You'll find a lot of great support and help from members here, I know I have.

😘🧡

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: