You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Station House Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

Station House Haunting

 

I've been bored at work recently and read a lot of the stories here. Some of them seem to be written by kids practising their writing, which is cool but this is not the place. I can assure you that what follows happened for real.

In the mid 1990's my mother bought an old Victorian railway station house in the south of England. The station was still functioning but as the area was so secluded trains rarely stopped there and mostly just passed through. The building itself was typically Victorian, with a very creepy tower attached that looked like something right out of a horror film.

I stayed there most weekends and straightaway felt very uneasy and had trouble sleeping in my room, as there was no TV to turn on for comfort. The only TV was in the living room, so each night after everyone had gone to bed I would trundle downstairs to the living room with my duvet to watch TV.

The living room had 3 large bay windows that could be opened directly onto the station platform. This wasn't as bad as it sounds as there were few people using the station and my mother had put up both net and thick dark curtains, but she was still very worried about someone breaking in through these windows and it was a house rule to always lock the heavy door that separated the living room from the rest of the house.

The first time I went down to watch TV I was quite scared about being downstairs alone, I went to the kitchen first to get a drink and felt very uneasy. I quickly went to the living room and turned the TV and a couple of lamps on. Straight away I felt better and began to relax watching the TV. I awoke some time later after hearing a loud thud. The room was in complete darkness with the lamps and TV off, I was frozen in fear for some unknown reason so I stayed still and silent and waited. After some time I managed to summon the courage to turn on the lamp. Everything was fine, except the TV being turned off at the mains and the door being closed (I had made a point to leave the door open thinking it would be fine as I was in the room.) I turned the handle and it was locked - I began to at first panic, and then became angry thinking that either my sister had decided to play a trick on me or my step dad had decided to make a point about me leaving the door open. I looked around the room thinking what I could do without waking up the whole house and moved towards the window, thinking about climbing out and walking around the front when I saw the key on the mantle piece. I had no idea how it got there but I quickly grabbed it, opened the door and ran upstairs to my bedroom.

The next day I shrugged this off and tried to forget about it but it still played heavily on my mind, and as the night came I felt uneasy again. I went to bed at the same time as the rest of the family this time but neither my sister nor I could sleep so we went downstairs together to watch TV.

I had the key in my pocket and opened the door fully and dragged a very heavy old sewing machine in front of the door, much to my sister's bemusement (I hadn't told her about the previous night). She asked what I was doing and I told her what happened. Her face dropped and she told me that last night she was woken up with someone viciously pulling her hair, to the point where some hair had been pulled out. We turned on the lamps and TV and tried to not think about it. After awhile we both started to relax, she became sleepy and went up to bed and I stayed to watch TV.

I awoke later in darkness like before. The TV and lamps were out; I reached and turned on the lamp straight away. The door was closed again. I felt a pang of fear, there was no way my sister would have the strength to move it and it was so noisy to move I would hear it anyway. I checked for the key in my pocket and it was there. I moved towards the door with my heart thumping and tried the handle - it was locked. I unlocked the door and slowly walked into the hall, I was looking straight ahead with the kitchen to my immediate right. Instinctively I was afraid to look into the kitchen and then I heard heavy sustained growl from there. Feeling very afraid I walked towards the stairs. The sewing machine was in the middle of the hall. I ignored it and went upstairs to my bedroom where I stayed awake until the sun rose.

After this incident all was quiet for a while. I stopped going downstairs to watch TV and instead resorted to stealing brandy to sleep while I bugged my mum to get a TV for my room. I did hear that one morning my mother went downstairs and tried to unlock the door to the living room but couldn't budge the door, she called for my step dad to help who finally got it open and they found the same sewing machine dragged behind the door blocking it.

A few years later there had not been much more activity than the incidents described, except that when I woke in the morning the curtains would be open after I closed them at night. My mother had decided to decorate the tower room, so that it could be used as a guest room.

The tower, which I described at the start of the story, was separated from the rest of the house by a small staircase. The main stairs led up to a small landing and then the stairs split with one set going to the bedrooms and the other going a room below the tower, which also housed the bathroom. No one liked the tower part of the house, and I felt more uneasy here than anywhere else. I would only use the bathroom with the door open.

When we began to redecorate the room below the tower, we steamed the old wallpaper off the wall and found lots of very old markings on the walls. They were made with a pencil so most had faded so that you could barely see them, but from what you could see they seemed to be drawings of faces. Some were grotesque, others were beautiful but they were all very strange. We also pulled up the old carpet and found deep grooves in the floorboards. Some of the most badly damaged boards had to be replaced, and when we removed them we found an old scroll tied with ribbon hidden in the floor. It was too deep to reach by hand so my step dad tried to grab it using coal tongs, but it disintegrated when he grabbed it so we never knew what it said.

The tower itself could only be reached by a wooden staircase leading from the room below to a trap door. It was a strange space, completely impractical as a room so it was never used, even for storage, as it was too difficult to get anything through the trap door. After the redecorating, strange dragging noises were often heard from there by the family including myself. One morning I went up into the tower with my step dad to investigate and we couldn't believe our eyes, the entire floor was filled with dead flies. It was as if a plague of flies had entered the tower and the whole swarm had died there. He was quite disturbed and told me that the previous owners had warned him that they had a priest to exorcise the property to no avail.

Some weeks later my mother bought my sister a kitten. It was full of energy and inquisitive as most kittens are, and would tear around the house only to sleep with my sister at night. It would sometimes play in the tower part of the house only to bolt out of there to find my sister.

One night I had to get up to use the toilet. By this time I refused to use the toilet in the tower part of the house and would go all the way downstairs. On my way downstairs I saw the kitten crouching on its stomach in the doorway to the tower room. I called it, and it looked at me but was frozen in what seemed to be a very unnatural position as if something was forcing it down. I quickly jumped and grabbed him and took to my room. He was rigid in the same position for a few seconds then slowly relaxed. The poor thing then wet himself while his fur stood on end and he slowly dug his claws deeply into my arm, clearly out of fear. I woke my sister and we found that 4 of his front teeth and his tail was broken. The next day he would not come into the house and would try to escape when forced. My mother had to give him away soon after.

After this, both my mother and step dad took things more seriously and things escalated drastically. My mother actually asked us to not visit her for a while as things were so bad. One of my aunts, and my step dads mother had both stayed over in the converted tower room and both claimed to have been attacked during the night. My step dad was terrified after seeing something he would not talk about in his bedroom. My mother usually a sceptic also started to experience things.

She told us that she was in the bath in the tower part bathroom when there was a power cut. She got out of the bath, put a towel on and went to check on the fuse. It was pitch black when she opened the door from the bathroom into the tower room and when she entered it, she heard and felt a heavy thud as is if something had dropped from the trapdoor onto the floor. Terrified she tried to flee the room, but crashed into a wall that shouldn't have been there. She said that she was feeling her way down the wall in the darkness and the layout of the room was different. She eventually got out and they decided to move soon after.

On the last night before we moved the family was very uneasy. Both my sister and I both had TV's in our rooms by now so we went to bed with our TV's on and my mother told us to keep our door's open. After a short while my sister screamed. We all ran to her room to see sparks shooting out of the back of her TV. We turned it off and agreed that she could sleep in my room with me. When we were in my room the exact same thing started to happen to my TV until it blew up. We stayed up until daybreak then had to move house in the morning with no sleep. We were all glad to go.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jv, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Uisge83 (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-23)
This has got to be one of the scariest stories I've ever read, and I've read thousands of scary stories! Thank you so much for sharing x
TRUCK (25 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-01)
The scroll was prob part of the excorcism. It is common for the priest to leave a few pages of bible versus behind to keep whatever is in the house from returning. It is possible that when you destroyed the scroll you released whatever was being held back.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-08)
That was a very creepy story. Something terrible must have went on there in the past if your family was told an exorcism was done on the house. If you ever find out anything more about the history of the place, please let us know. I'm glad you and your family moved out. Anything that is powerful enough to break a defenseless kitten's teeth and tail is definitely evil. Thanks for sharing your story, and take care 😊 ❤
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
The poor kitten! I would have cried my eyes out seeing that cat hurt like that. It must have been hard to give it away but it seemed that at the time it was for the cat's well-being. Your story is pretty scary, I'm glad your family moved out of there before anything worse happened. I'm so curious as to what that scroll said...

Thanks for sharing!
darshan9209189691 (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
the house really belongs to some evil spirit and he is not ready to share the house with living humans
Its better to leave the house
What you did was absolutely right thing but did you made aware of such things to new owner that's the next thing to know
jv (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
Hello, thank you all for your comments. I'll try to answer some questions. I don't know about the people in there now. My mother warned the people who bought it from us originally about the place but they bought it anyway. They sold it two years later for susbstantial profit. I still go through the station on the train sometimes, and there are lights on so I assume it's still being lived in. We looked into the history of the house, and apart from it being designed by a semi - famous architect, there was not much to go on. My stepdad said that he was attacked in bed and in the bath - with a great pressure on his chest stopping him from getting up. Rare bats lived in the roof of the tower and a bat expert went into the tower to check them. He was amazed and said he had never seen anything like the flies before. I don't think it would be fair to the current occupiers to reveal the exact location, but I'll try to answer any more questions you have.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
What an experience you have had in that house!

I'm sure it is one that has forever changed the way you view the world today!

I'm glad your family left that place just in time!
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
Great story, jv! Very strange. As with the others, I would be interested in hearing anything the new owners might have to say. Regardless, thanks for sharing your tale with us.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
Yes could you please tell us about the people staying there.
When I read the bit about the scroll I thought about how interesting it would be if the note was a suicide note.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
Whatever was there it wasn't nice. Something didn't want your family there. Is it possible you and your sister were catalysists for this kind of phenomenon? It's very possible. Seems like spirits are attracted to high energy people and teens fill this bill. When heavy things are moved and doors are locked without knowledge something intellgent is no doubt the culprit. Residual hauntings do not move heavy furniture or close drapes or mess with electronics. Intelligent ones do. It would be interesting to find out if the next owners are experiencing anything strange.
racer123246 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
I feel sorry for the cat. I have two of my own and if that happened I'd been terrified.
monoxide (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
I reckon that house had a really interesting past,
You should look into it!
There was probably black magic practised there or something that wasn't dispersed properly
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
Is it possible for you to tell me the name of the Station? Or even just where it was?
I would love to do some research into the history of the place. All I know is it's in the South of England. 😕 Not a lot of help.
Thanks.

God Bless.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
Like Syeetaque, I would also like to know about the people staying there now.
Do you know anything about the history of the Station? Did you ever find out what happened to your Step-dad? Did you ever find out why all of the flies were there?
That must have been frightening for you, your family, and the cat! I was jumpy just reading about it. 😨
Whatever it was obviously didn't want you there. I'm glad you left.

God Bless.
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
Waaait a minute!
Did you say that all the lights and tv were on and the door was open before you fall asleep? Creepy! 😨

Poltergeist, that's it! Really evil poltergeist!

And something really happened in the tower... Maybe that these evil beings are staying there? Absolutely clear that they didn't like what you have done with the tower part of the house...

By the way, who's staying there now?
And does anything happen to them?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: