You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Station Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

The Station Ghosts

 

I am a young lad who about ten months ago started his dream job working at the local railway station. I have always dreamt of working for the railways and so having to do night shifts was a worthy price to pay.

After a few weeks I had to start my first night shift. I wasn't expecting anything paranormal at all. At Ipswich Railway Station there are upstairs offices used by day by Driver managers and other office staff and by night, empty and rather eerie.

I was asked by my supervisor, the only other member of platform staff around, to clean the upstairs staff loos as is customary for a station cleaner such as myself. I walked up the first set of rather steep stairs and along the corridor to the first door.

Now up to this door it's fine, you feel normal but once you walk through the door it becomes very strange. You sense you're not alone. Anyhow I had a job to do, so I clean the ladies which is the very first door on the left. It feels ok in here but its still eerie and the large number of mirrors doesn't help! I then need to go round a corner along the next section of corridor then through another door, up a second flight of stairs and through a third and final door to yet another section of corridor. At the end of this corridor, again on the left, is the gents staff toilets. From the second door up to here is almost unbearably spooky. The feeling of being watched intensifies along the corridor and at the foot of the second flight of stairs is the worst. However, as I said, I had a job to do and I got on with it.

Being new I didn't want to mention it for fear of being ridiculed, but I really didn't like it up there. Now, as a cleaner, I do seven night shifts in a row. On the Wednesday which is towards the end of the week of nights, I had a stranger than normal experience. I had cleaned the ladies and the gents so was heading back towards the stairs. As I reached the door that opened to the flight of stairs I looked up, and for a few moments was sure I saw the figure of a woman at the foot of the stairs where I had felt the strange sensations of being watched so strongly. The scariest part was to get out I had to go through where I had just seen the woman! However, even with all this, I waited a few seconds after she had "vanished" and passed it off as me being tired from almost a week of nights which I wasn't accustomed to. As a result I never mentioned it to anyone.

About three weeks later I was on nights again with a supervisor named Chris. I was very friendly with Chris as he had trained me when I first started, so we were talking and we started talking of ghosts. He asked me if I knew about the station ghosts. I said no I didn't have a clue. Chris looked at me and said, "Do you know where the station is haunted?" I thought for a second and said "upstairs". Sure enough he nodded and confirmed that the strongest feeling he got was when he was at the foot of the second flight of stairs. He also mentioned about the public ladies toilets on Platform 2, though as I never experienced anything there I shall not repeat that story.

Talking to Chris I discovered that I was far from the only person who had experienced odd things in the upstairs corridors. Nearly all the other cleaners had experiences to share, from seeing moving shadows with no visible owner to the sounds of children laughing and playing. Now I am sure something is upstairs, and having spoken to other supervisors who also feel uneasy upstairs there is no doubt the offices are haunted.

Sorry for the very long recollection, but I wanted to put as much as I could in this narrative so you could get a decent idea of what it is like up there and how it feels.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Adman4472, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TRUCK (25 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-01)
Train stations have always been a hotbed for ghosts. Before the modern military had giant cargo planes most troop movment was by train. Think of all the solders who went throught that station whos next stop was combat during WWI/II. Many believe the dead haunt the stations trying to get home. As for the lady everyone see's we have a simlar story here at a station in Virginia of the wife of a Civil War solder who was killed in the war. The story goes that the station was the last place she saw her husband so she waits there for him to come home.
Adman4472 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-31)
One other story I did hear was from a colleague named David. David has been on the railway for years and isn't a believer but he went upstairs at about 6 one Sunday and said he heard children laughing even though no one was about as the station doesn't open until half seven on a Sunday.
Adman4472 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-30)
Hi everyone, thanks for all the responses and I'm sorry its taken a while for me to respond. I'm very busy and have been having internet problems too. I have looked into Ipswich stations history and although there have been no accidents I learnt that these upstairs offices used to be the living quarters for the ststion masters. It is possible that a spirit may be lingering on in their home. As for the platform 2 the ladies loo the lights are motion sensored and when we lock them the lights obviously go off. However on occassion the lights go on again. I put it down to an air freshener though another cleaner has seen a woman in mirror only to turn around and see no one there.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-22)
i am going to stay clear of ever using the facilities in Ipswich station then!

Well can't imagin what must go on in the Kings Cross one considering the ill fated train blasts!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-22)
Adman4472: Nicely narrated account I could tell that it would have been quite unnerving, as sds mentioned I wonder what type of a history this station has, why are the ghosts there etc. Look forward to hearing more from you, thanks for sharing.

Dan
gothgirl (32 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-20)
Great storie thank you, and I agree with the mirror "thing!"
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-20)
Hey Adman, yup railroads and rivers seem to be the most popular hangouts for the departed. That sounds really interesting. Thanks for the story.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-20)
Given all of the railway accidents that have happened, especially at stations, I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps the place is haunted by those who died there. I'd love to look up the history of the place and see what sorts of significant events occurred there. Maybe you could determine who exactly has decided to stick around!
tedbear (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-19)
Sounds like an interesting experience. It's amazing how many people have paranormal stories to tell if you can get them comfortable enough to tell them. I don't imagine that employees at the station are quick to talk about its ghosts for fear of not being believed. I would love to explore England's b&b's and old hotels some time. Great story!
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-19)
Thanks for sharing your story! Sounds very creepy. You know, you're allowed to tell second hand stories in the comments section. If you'd like to tell us about the haunted loo on platform two (hey! Poetry!) I, for one, would love to hear about it. 😁
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-19)
Hello Adman4472, welcome to YGS. Generally stations are quite creepy and will definitely have some stories of haunting. I just want to ask if you have made any other enquiries and did you share your experience with the supervisor, Chris. If so, what was his reaction to it because like you, he is also interested/experienced in paranormal. Try to dig out something. Please do make enquiries and do make some investigation like talking to other staff about your experience and ask them to share theirs to you. Please try to post it in this site. That could give us more information. Who knows, when you investigate, you might experience more things and more stories to tell us. Please do respond.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: