You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Am I Haunted Or Is It The House?

Real Ghost Stories

Am I Haunted Or Is It The House?

 

This is probably going to sound quite vague, I wasn't sure if it counted as psychic or ghostly experiences, I was afraid if I submitted it on the psychic sight they would say it was meant for the ghost sight. Oh well here it goes.

I am agnostic (I think) I have never ever dismissed any beliefs and have always thought that ghosts were possible since I can remember. Not just because I believe in old fairy tales, but because when I was a toddler, I grew up in a 400 year old mining house in a very old mining area of Cornwall and I have a very clear memory of a man with two dogs.

Our house had two stair cases, and I remember coming down the first to go to the loo and there was a man sitting on the staircase with two dogs. Being about 3 or 4 I didn't question his existence, I merely asked him to move but he didn't reply or respond. That's all I remember of that but my parents told me later I kept speaking to imaginary people and dreaming up a man with dogs who "lived" in our house.

Years and years later, at this point I'm about 15, and I'm at my nans partner's house in mevagissey. It's extremely old on a cliff and facing the ocean and it has such a lovely feeling when you come in the door, of warmth and history and happiness. I promise to the furthest extent that this is not made up. Even my startled grandmother and her partner of the time were flummoxed and shocked.

First of all, I couldn't sleep back then. I suffered (and still do sometimes) from insomnia. So I sat downstairs in the lounge chatting to my grandmother's partner and in my head there's a nagging voice repeating the name "Edward over and over". I had no idea where this came from, but I felt compelled to tell this to *John who's eyes widened and asked me why I said this. I replied simply with something like "No idea, I just have to say this name. Edward" it was like a nagging headache and I could see this name so clearly.

John then told me that "Edward" owned the house before him and was a kindly character who loved the place and it was bizarre I should mention his name. I then asked "does he have a black dog?" I had no idea where this came from, it popped out my mouth and at this point *John jumped up saying "he had a black Labrador!" and he showed me where the dog would bite and scratch the door posts and even though he had filled them and painted them, the scratches remained there 50 years after refusing to be removed. I even felt a presence around the house but it didn't bother me.

Between those times, I had random experiences which I believed were paranormal, at my dad's house there were horrid smells, feelings of being watched that all my friends felt and even dad felt. We would see shadows in the hall and feel as if we were being stared at as we went down the stairs. It was awful, nasty and imposing. We would take pictures and little lights would be in the pictures, it was so eerie.

3 years later, (I'm skipping over many little weird happenings I seem to come across over my travels) I part live with my partner of 8 years in a Victorian era detached house in one of the older and more fancy areas of redruth which was one of the main mining towns in Cornwall. The moment I set foot in that house, I knew it was haunted. The feeling was so strong and present, I didn't need the other proof we received to know it! First I said quietly to my partner I felt it was haunted. Again, I had no idea where this came from but I said there were two presences, a good man and a bad man. The bad man was awful, violent, and liked to make himself known. Sure enough, most nights we heard the chairs scraping downstairs as if they were being moved. Things vanished and often never re-appeared. We were in fact lodgers in this house and the landlady's baby often cried whenever the presence was around. We heard bangs in the attic which were once servants' quarters and now has nothing there.

Once, my partner who suffers sleepwalking even filmed himself out of curiosity to know what he did played back some tape to hear almighty bangs in our room with no source and odd sounds. The landlady's friend brought over her friend who happened to be a medium and took her to one side and explained that the house was haunted. Everything she said was exactly what I had said detail for detail and when the landlady told me this I was so shocked. Since this event, things have been happening to me that I hate and wish would go away.

I see lights all the time, little flashing ones, not just in the corner of my eye. Whenever there's a presence I start to get migraines and for the last week (since I was told I was right about the ghosts in the landladies house) I have been touched several times! It's as if I was being brushed lightly, some cases poked or prodded. It's awful. It's not muscle spasms or nerves jumping, because it makes me turn and look for the perpetrator it's so real! Things move and bang and I know that there's people that experience a lot of things more serious, but its bugging me because it's as if wherever I go, something's there and I feel like it latches on to me.

I'm at my grandmother's house tonight and what inspired me to write this is I'm asking for advice. I'm in bed and there's an over powering feeling of presence. There was this queer fly in my room that disappeared in thin air before my eyes and didn't fly in the fashion typical of a fly. (If that sounds right) For half an hour he crawled over my bed stead and I tried to shoo him away but he stayed still. He stayed that way for a while until suddenly he opened his wings gracefully and flew in an arch before disappearing. This sounds nuts, I don't know why but there was something so weird and bizarre about the fly. As this was happening there was also a strong presence in the room. So I spoke like a madwoman to myself asking for whatever it was to leave me and as I said that I started to get an almighty migraine.

This is pretty mild compared to everyone else's stuff but I was curious if anyone could tell me whether this is something following me, or that maybe I'm just sensitive to things around me or if I'm totally barmy. If something is around me, (and a clairvoyant said there was) then what can I do to find out if it's malicious or has good intentions.

Sorry for rambling and being so vague, what I really want is advice what to do to tell if this spirit is malicious or if it's not so much "a" spirit as just different happenings. It just seems everywhere I seem to live there's a strong negative presence and other people are picking up on it!

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Sarah x

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fluxed, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-27)
Sarah (Fluxed) - To me you sound very sensitive to your surroundings and very aware of the environment around you. You're not the only one, there are others. I myself am partially sensitive to the surrounding spiritual dimension - I see it as something like a veil over our world that can impose us at certain points hence why we get the spiritual bodies of energy (Some stronger than others.) Some of us yourself included can feel this veil more so than others can and so experience more to do with the paranormal. (I hope that made sense.)

What you have can be construed as a gift or a curse depending on the school of thought you take on the matter. I personally see sensitivity as a gift as it allows us to experience more than others can and somewhat makes us more in tune with more than the world we see through our eyes. However it can depend upon the experiences you have with it which may change your mind.

Sensitivity is something that needs to be controlled as posters below like BadJuuJuu have stated. The more sensitive you are the more control you need because it means you are more open and suseptable to your surroundings. (You appear to be very sensitive - With the migraines and all the other things you have stated in your story.) Please don't worry, control is something that takes time to learn but when you learn it it'll stay with you.

Thank you for sharing your story and good luck.
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-27)
First of all for robertar barmy means nuts loony crazy etc. A term often used in the UK (so I'm told by an old family friend 😊) as well as here in Australia and New Zealand (have Kiwi relatives)

Sorry Sarah had to get that out the road ❤ For you I tend to agree with the others. Sounds like youre a sensitive and its the house that's haunted.

Some protection techniques would be one way to go, blessing the house etc. I'm not real sure on how to do them but do know there are others who can tell you 😊
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-27)
i would consider telling you that you are barmy, just so I could use the word. But I don't really know what it means, and I also doubt you are.

Especially if there are children around, you might plan for the worst, assume it is malicious. If I were in your position, I would both pray and read the bible, the stories about Jesus, especially when you suspect the entity is around. Unclean spirits do not like Jesus. I like Jesus, who wouldn't?
Shell1982 (70 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-26)
Hi Fluxed,
I thought your story was really interesting, but I wondered whether some of the 'presences' you feel might not really be spirits, but might illusions caused by your migraines? You said that you often get migraines after feeling a presence. Some people with epilepsy report feeling a presence just before their seizure begins, and this had been pinned down to disturbances of brain activity in a part of the brain called the parietotemporal junction. It is possible that your migraines (being disturbances of blood flow to the brain) could have the same effect on this part of the brain.
I tell you this so that you don't feel scared or uncomfortable when these episodes happen - they might be real, but then they might not be. Your other experiences are obviously not migraine-related though, and I don't know what to say about those, they are astonishing!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-25)
Sarah, thank you for sharing your story and I can relate to your concerns... I know what you mean when you said you just knew that there was a man and dog... It sometimes feels like your half guessing? And that is the worlds greatest secret about most mediums, half knowing and half guessing, I think like granny said, you are receptive... However there are some things you may need to understand... Those errie types of feelings are not necessarily caused by malice spirits, it sometimes is caused from the magnetic electric spiritual field, that generates our nerve endings... Some spirits extract stronger fields than others, the prodding and poking, does this happen when you are mostly half asleep? Or in a meditation state... There may be an explanation for that... You are psychic no doubt, but just understand that some experiences are not always what they seem, thank you for sharing...
Daz.
Kalli_psy90 (1 stories) (55 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-24)
I don't think your haunted I think your just sensitive. Oh and I thought I was the only one that got migrains from that kind of thing. Whenever people around me have high negive energy or I sense something I get headaches that usually turn into migrains. I suggest that you listening to your feelings. When something like that starts to happen close your eyes and try to silently ask what this entity wants. It might help sometimes meditating/sentering helps for migrains even though it sounds hokey. Hope this helps ❤Kalli
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
14 years ago (2010-09-24)
I agree with Granny that you aren't so much haunted as sensitive. It can be a fine line between the two sometimes though.
Learning some protection techniques is a good idea. Sometimes you can block presences, but the really persistent ones will just keep bugging you until you acknowledge them. I think if a presence is malicious, you will pretty much know right away. Unless you get used to ghosts, all presences will be unnerving, but the malicious ones have a truly frightening feeling about them. You can tell the difference.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
14 years ago (2010-09-24)
Fluxed: In my opinion, you're not haunted but you are sensitive to the spirit world... Most of your experiences I think happen because you are like a becon and entities are drawn to you...It's an amazing gift, or curse, depending on your perspective... Those like you can be very helpful in sending our ghostie friends to the light, if that's what you want to use your gift for...

Anyway, there's more to fear from the living than the dead, so try not to be afraid... They can't hurt you... It sounds as though the entity in your partner's house is wanting to grab your attention, so try to send this person on...Also, it's a good idea to learn some protection techniques, as I have a feeling that your experiences are going to become more intense and more frequently, until you decide whether to embrace or deny your gift...

Please keep us posted... 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: