You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Weird Night

Real Ghost Stories

Weird Night

 

My friend Janine and I worked in an old Hall in Lowestoft, Suffolk in the early nineties. I was living about a mile from the Hall, we finished work at about 11:00pm and were going back to mine for a drink. There we were, me wheeling my cycle and her holding a plate with a slice of lemon meringue pie on it walking down an unlit dual carriageway, halfway down this road was a layby hidden from the road by a small island covered in trees and bushes. We heard a van pull into the layby and a minute later we heard a noise behind us, looking back we saw a man pretending to pee while looking back the way we had come, strange...

He turned and looked straight at us, jumped onto the road and started to chase us. We shot down the road, it was late with hardly a car about, Janine pulled me across the road in an attempt to force a car to stop but they just swerved around us beeping their horn. The road was empty again. The man was gaining on us, my bag had caught on my bike so I had to haul it on my shoulder. He reached out and grabbed my hair, I swung my bike and knocked him back. Running across the road we saw an oldish man walking down the central reservation and ran towards him shouting for help. He was dressed in weird clothes, a tweed suit and the trousers came to just below his knees like plus fours. We looked back, the guy had seen him too and had turned around and was running back to his van. We were only about ten feet from him but the old guy seemed not to see us and kept looking into the distance as though nothing was happening. This infuriated us and we ran towards him demanding to know what he was playing at, when, just as we reached him he disappeared! Absolutely gobsmacked we ran on until we got to the farmhouse where I lived and called the police. The guy who had chased us fitted the description of someone who had attacked a girl in the next village to us! One of the policewomen told us that many years ago a man and his family had crashed not far down the road and that he had tried to walk to the village for help but died of his injuries before he got there, he'd been seen quite a few times before. He may not have saved his family all those years ago, but he sure saved us that night. The upside of this is that all through this Janine managed to keep hold of that pie, nothing has ever tasted so good!

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

GABSSoldier (12 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-14)
Huh? For all that think the old man save them he didn't plus he disappear before they can reach him and another thing they ran back to her place.
DontLookBehindYou (17 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
Amazing story.
An even more amazing ending. This goes up in my favourites;)
spookyme401 (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
rad story,, you should bring that old dude some pie... And a root beer.
mementomori (10 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-01)
hahaaaa! The pie was SAFE! No worries now! Love it. Great story. I wonder if it was coincidence that the old man happened to be there at that very moment... Very interesting story.
MissHill (6 stories) (67 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2010-03-12)
I absolutely loved the fact that there was still pie.

And its great that he saved you guys,
naveen9885 (25 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2009-12-07)
Take light this type of incidents happens try to forget. Infact if he caught you you may get died and not only that the ghost is taking revenge on the people because no one saved there family when he needs.
lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-09-24)
I'm not sure what to say.As long as you weren't harmed I'm fine.That sounded like I'd be sreaming if I were there.
Missmelanie04 (6 stories) (39 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-01-17)
Awesome story. It was lucky for the two of you that the old man's ghost was there that night. There is no telling what may have happened. Even though he couldn't save his family, he saved you guys. Has he been seen since? If not then perhaps he could finally find peace.
Kavya (9 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2008-12-30)
OMG what a nice old man! You should go back there to thank him. This is a great story, he is probably timelessly trying to save his family. If he hasn't reached his destination, he cannot go anywhere. But I wonder why he dissappear. Is it because you approach him? Or is it because he died before reaching his destination and will never get there? What a mystery ❤
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-10)
Good! The pie was safe! Lol... I love pie, if the pie would have hit the ground it would have been a devistating story lol...

But regardless this was a creey story.
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
you really should go to the crash site and thank him. Even at death, he saved two lives. Also the guy who chased you, god, every story I read, I picture it with great detail and it freaks me out
Joie (1 stories) (39 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
That's amazing! I agree, you should go place a gift at the crash site. Hopefully he will feel peace in his soul soon!
whitebuffalo (guest)
+2
16 years ago (2007-11-25)
What would be great is if the old man that saved you was a residual haunting. Then these two instances would have really had nothing to do with each other, but to the same end. I believe that is what it was, though. Hopefully the perp was caught. Thanks for the story.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-09-29)
WOW it sounds scary and creepy. You were so lucky. Thanks for sharing your story with us. 😐
arianne (guest)
+2
17 years ago (2007-04-07)
it was foolish of your friend to hold on to the pie but maybe she didn't even notice she was holding it when this happened
Miquela (guest)
+2
17 years ago (2007-02-19)
Deborah,
I loved your story, it reads like a "paranormal" Maeve Binchy novel. Creepy one moment and quite humourous the next. Did you have any other sightings while working at the old hall?
Patrick (guest)
+2
17 years ago (2006-12-19)
wow you should go to the crash spot and put flowers or something to thank him for that you could have been killed
Tom, London (guest)
+3
18 years ago (2006-09-07)
That is a very interesting story. It makes me wonder whether the old man was a replay of the events on that roadside post-crash, or whether he was still timelessly trying to save his family.
I love this type of story and maybe someday someone will help him let go...if indeed it is his ghost wandering those roads...TS
elizabeth (guest)
+2
18 years ago (2006-08-09)
You guys were so lucky that the old man appeared just think of what could of happened!!!!!!!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: