You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Is It The House Or Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Is It The House Or Me?

 

I would just like to share my experience with you guys and would love any feedback.

I'm a 19 year old woman from Manchester, UK. My friend and I moved into a flat together a few months ago. We found out that a man had died in the house; he had fallen down the stairs while intoxicated, but this didn't initially bother us.

The owner of the house [my friend] and my boyfriend, who stayed with me from time to time in the house, began to say they'd seen "shadows" and heard bumps, bangs and the suchlike. Lights would flicker and we would hear knocking on the door. We dismissed these as noises from outside at first, until we began to hear shuffling in the bedroom at night.

We searched for infestations of any kind [mice, rats, roaches] to no avail.

These noises carried on for two weeks, but we weren't too bothered by them. One night, the electricity had run out and my friend, boyfriend and I were sitting on the couch, in near darkness. We began to hear a slight shuffling, as though something was rubbing along the carpet but a few feet away. It gradually got louder, or closer, and we heard bangs that were seemingly coming from downstairs. I began to get a little scared by now, but we carried on talking.

After a while, the noises got louder, so my friend, very stupidly, said "Is anybody there, show yourself." He meant it as a joke but I immediately went mental at him, saying I couldn't believe how stupid he could be.

Basically, the noises got worse. The shuffling was so close that it sounded as though it was right next to us, and my boyfriend's guitar, that was across the room, strummed itself very loudly three times. By this point I was hysterically crying, but the worse I got, the worse the activity got. The shuffling was loud, the guitar was banging, it sounded as though doors were opening and creaking and suddenly, things began to fall off a cabinet.

My friend, apparently feeling brave, stood up and said "Please, please stop."

Something flew past him and hit a mirror that was nailed to a wall, so the mirror jolted. We decided that enough was enough; we ran out of the house, no shoes on and hysterical.

The memory still terrifies us. Everytime I think about it, I well up with tears and feel sick. It may not seem much but the atmosphere in the house was so dense and scary. I've always been interested in the paranormal but haven't really experienced anything since then. I'm glad that I went through it with two other people, because there's no chance of it being our minds playing tricks on us or something. The situation has terrified me, my friend no longer lives in the house but could whatever it was have followed one of us? What do you think happened? We have spoken about it numerous times but we can't come to a clear explanation.

It's been about 6 months since this happened, but lately I've began to notice other things. Lights flickering, weird noises, etc... Nothing too frightening, but my boyfriend and I were talking in his room one day about the incident and a jar that was on his table (other side of the room) slid to the other end of the table. There was no way it could've moved alone. And a couple of days ago my boyfriend and I were alone in his house and heard very loud banging and moving from upstairs. Please bear in mind that this is a different place to the previous occurances.

None of this is lies, or exaggerated. I am genuinely scared, as I feel it has followed us.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Siren_Song, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-03)
Do not give money to anyone who wants paid for an exorcism, that is a scam. First of all the people who genuinely do exorcisms don't charge for it. Secondly exorcisms are for people who are possessed. If you want the help of someone experienced they should tell you what you need is for them to cleanse the area & you, if you feel something is focusing it's attention on you. If someone is telling you that you need an exorcism and offering to do it for money they are trying to take advantage of you. It may take some work to find them but there are people who will actually help you, no charge. And don't underestimate your ability to help yourself, many cleansings / protections can be done yourself with great effect.
Siren_Song (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-03)
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the advice from each and every one of you. Unfortunately things are getting worse at the moment in terms of noise and activity; I'm going to look into an exorcism of myself though I can't afford it and it may not work. It's the only thing I can think of working. God bless, I hope there's hope for us all. Thinking of you
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-01)
Thanks a lot for your comment ngute!

I couldn't agree more Puppeteer with everything that you've said. It's an idea and advice, there's little point in voting people down who are genuinely just trying to help someone who needs help with a problem.

Sorry that this comment has little to do with the story OP.
Darkmage55 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-30)
I hope that what happened to you in the first place didn't follow you. I tell you this not to scare you but to help you. If this ghost, spirit, call it what ever you will did follow you, you or someone who is living with you may have what is called an attachment. This is when a ghost has an attraction to a person for whatever reason, usually because they feel that they can reach out to this person and try and communicate. I have read the other posts and some of them make valid points and suggestions, it could be something other than what I have mentioned. The best bet is to hope that it didn't follow you and that it goes away and if that's the case I wouldn't worry about it. If it is still happening there are several options available to you that can help you. Some have been mentioned by others already.

Good luck to you I wish you the best and hope that it goes away and you can put your mind at ease.
Puppeteer13 (131 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-09-30)
hm this allways confuses me I'm allways polite and my information is usealy helpfull and yet allmost every time I post someone snipes my points I'm simply trying to help if you don't agree that's fine but there's no reason to vote down one of my consultation post the methods I sugest are allways basic protection so if sugesting anything other then contacting clergy offends then please don't read my posts but there's no reason to vote me down simply because you don't agree (this isn't a rant but it gets verry frustrating to post with an honest desire to help and be voted down for it)

Your Freind,
Coyote Thorn the Puppetee
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-30)
One thing that would probably go a long way towards determining whether or not you've got a ghostie or just nerves- A set of flashlights/Torches. The next time the lights run out, or you can go ahead and turn everything else off...
ngute80 (220 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-09-30)
I totally agree with Dan_Paranormal. Great comment, info and advise 😊
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-09-30)
Hello Siren_Song. Yes it's indeed very possible that an entity can attach itself to a person just like it could to a location. I think what you're dealing with here is quite negative. I conclude this from your description of the atmosphere around you. To me negative beings feed off of the particular emotions of fear and other negative feelings. To create an environment like this and to derive such a feeling probably fed it allowing for greater activity.

I believe it has decided to follow you or your friend because of the way that your energy fed it. Think of it like a battery needing to be recharged. You as energy projectors charge the entity which allows it to act. You could experience particular jolts in activity if you're creating a certain type of field of energy. Scared alone, stressed at work, anger towards something or someone. I think this is because powerful emotions trigger these entities and certain types produce different types of energy.

I think the only real advice I could really give you would be to try and fight the feelings of negativity. Of course as humans they're normality but you must try to be positive. We are scared of these things because we do not understand them. I don't completely, what I've told you is just my interpretation of what this entity is. The next person may think of it in a different way. My point is that when we come to terms that this is real and that this is happening it all becomes the same anyway. We have to remember that we as people have a duty to not let something like this keep us from our everyday life. We cannot let this type of thing control us. You must stand up to it and learn to understand it.

I would recommend speaking to a trained person of this sort of knowledge who can influence your everyday life to gain more information about this and eventually remove it from your life. Of course if that's what you want. Thank you for sharing your story and good luck.
Puppeteer13 (131 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-09-30)
Greetings I am Coyote Thorn, the energys in this house sound strong not nessicarily evil but strong if you are interested in protecting yourselfs I recomend useing sage to smudge the house and possibly holly water if you can aquire some wild roses keep them in the house the powerful life energy they exude will repell negitive forces if you have other questions for me or if you desire more information please feel free to contact me either here or by the email on my profile,
Good luck and may the gods bless you

Your Freind,
Coyote Thorn,
The Puppeteer
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-09-28)
totaly agree with the other comments here, it could be your energy/worries/fears are the cause of these things happening.
As dusty says try to relax.
I have a question but if you don't want to answer it that's fine, when the jar moved in your boyfriends room what were you talking about? Were you just talking or was it like a small argument/disagreement?
Only ask as it could again be the emotions you were feeling at the time.
Hope things get better for you
Carl
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-28)
I agree with Nysa about the ghost not following you but I think that experience either scared you enough that your thoughts are making the other incidents happen or that experience has made you more immune to the other world.

I would follow DustyisDead's suggesting about relaxing.
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-09-28)
I agree with a lot of what Nysa says.
I'm sorry it's scaring you so much, and I know it's hard, but you're going to have to calm down a little. Either you're subconsciously causing this, which is pretty common with young females and poltergeist situations. Or your fear is feeding it, if it is an entity.

Just work on relaxing, visualize yourself surrounded in a peacful white light, and if you want just say outloud that it's your space and you're there to stay.
If it's a ghost, that could help.

But I honestly feel it's a poltergeist and it's got a lot to do with your emotions being so high.
When you said "By this point I was hysterically crying, but the worse I got, the worse the activity got." that pretty much sealed the deal in my mind. If you want it to stop, I think you're going to have to stop freaking out.
Good luck.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-28)
You ask in the title if it was the house or you. I think it is you. Not in the sense that it followed you, but that you are unconsciously creating the events. The fact that things got worse as you got upset and then something happened when you talked about it again makes me think so. Are you familiar with the theories about poltergeists? They are often attributed to teenagers, but some believe that anyone under stress, or feeling any strong emotion can cause things like that. I have even read a few accounts where it is theorized that particular people simply release energy in that way, even without any strong emotion as a catalyst. Just something to think about.

If it were the ghost of the person who died there I would think his attachment would be to the house, and can't see any reason it would follow you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: