You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Old Haunted House In Somerset, Uk

Real Ghost Stories

My Old Haunted House In Somerset, Uk

 

When I was a child we lived in an old Victorian terraced house in a seaside town in Somerset. It was built during the 1860's I think. I remember going to view the house with my parents before they bought it and loving the house and that was part of the reason that they bought the house was because I had loved it. So I grew up in the house and my Dad set about decorating it in a Victorian style which, I know this sounds stupid but I feel the 'presence' in the house appreciated.

When I think back on it the house always had an 'atmosphere', I didn't understand it at the time but I always felt like there was someone there even when I was on my own in the house. There were odd smells as well, especially in the landing region at the top of the stairs.

When I was a child I was always scared of the landing, I could never understand why at the time, perhaps it was the feeling that there was someone watching me that made me uneasy it that part of the house. Unfortunately for me, to get to my room I had to go down a corridor from the landing and my room was at the end. When I think about it, it seems crazy but I always used to run to my room, I would get to the top of the stairs and run as fast as possible to my room and slam the door behind me and I was always scared to look out before I shut the door.

When I was about 10 years old my parent's relationship started to break down. I didn't really register it at the time but the 'atmosphere' in the house got worse, sort of heavier and I didn't realise it but things started happening that I didn't know about until recently. My Mum has always had a sense for the paranormal and I have inherited that sense. I never really spoke to her about it until recently because for me it was just part of the house and oddly it was one of things that made it home for me. However, my Mum felt the atmosphere as well and smelt the odd smells on the landing also but she experienced far more than I did.

She had always tried to convince my Dad that the house was haunted but he always dismissed it being a 'non-believer'. One evening when I was out of the house my parents were sat downstairs in the living room when they heard an almighty crash from upstairs. They were both pretty freaked out and my Dad refused to go see what it was! So my Mum ended up going upstairs to my little brother's room where the noise came from and could find nothing that had broken but my brother had a toy air balloon hanging from the ceiling that the propeller would spin around when it was switched on, and that was running, causing the balloon to merrily spin around by itself. Obviously there had not been anyone else in the house to turn it on.

Another experience that my Mum had, happened one night when my Dad was working away. She was in bed and she could feel a 'presence' in the room and she just tried to sleep and hoped it would go away and then suddenly something sat on her feet at the end of bed. My Mum knew what it was and she said to it 'I'm not scared of you so would you go away' (or something along those lines!) and the pressure on her feet went.

Another thing that happened which could be complete coincidence was that on the day we were moving out of the house, my parents were rushing around with boxes and a thunderstorm had started up outside. All of a sudden a bolt of lightning hit the telephone exchange on the house and blew all the electrics out and even blew the telephone socket clean off the wall. I know it was probably just coincidence but we couldn't help feeling it was a bit odd because of how bad the atmosphere had got in the house.

The women who moved in was a medium and was part of a group. My Mum bumped into her after we had moved out and she told her how she has sensed the 'atmosphere' and 'presence' in the house and had invited her medium group around to hold a session. They managed to contact the spirit and it had been a man and that he had been a very unhappy spirit. The group had asked the spirit to leave and he had but he came back not long after. They also discovered that a man had hung himself in the house at the top of the stairs - and it all made sense.

Other hauntings by 123kerry

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 123kerry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

123kerry (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
Hi all, thanks for your comments.
The feeling in the house is hard to discribe, sort of like being watched I guess or when you consciously know that someone is in a room upstairs. It was also oddly comforting for me as well, I don't know if the ghost projected that at me or just the feeling of not being alone was comforting. The feeling was most intense on the landing area and it is only in the last 10 years we have known about the hanging that took place there. I've remembered something else odd that used to happen. My parents decked the house out in antiques to fit in with the decor. One of the clocks used to stop for a while and start up again without being wound up. My Dad still has the clock and it doesn't do it anymore. I hope that this answers your questions.
Kerry
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
pinkparrot,

Top of the page... Click the 'submit a story' link...

Respectfully,

Rook
pinkparrot6202 (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
This is a question how do you submit a story because I have one that will make you wet your pants. 😕 😕 🤔
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
I've been trying to analyze what it is that makes certain places seem odd or unwelcoming. What makes us feel we are being watched? Growing up in an old house, we had a room that made us feel odd in the back of the upstairs. My mother used it to store odds and ends and Christmas decorations. Each of us four sibs were terrified of it, but we never talked about it until a few years back.

What was it about that room - or about the house 123Kerry describes above? I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this feeling.
Jammydodgerman (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
Nice story. Isn't it strange how people get "those feelings" where some houses/rooms just don't feel right. There are many victorian houses around the UK that have a lot of history to them. One of my dad's friends is a painter and decorator and he was working in an old house and was getting negative feelings in one particular room. He then went to the owner of the house and sure enough, that room was haunted by a little girl who used to walk through the walls. The owners even said they are used to it!

About the lightning, my house got struck by lightning once, not a pleasant experience at all. The noise was deafening...
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
I'd say that it's quite a blessing that the house didn't burn down because of the amount of amperage that lightning carries.

But then in the Victorian age, grounding 'rods' were often composed of a what was then a trash metal.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: