You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Pinto

Real Ghost Stories

A Pinto

 

I should have known something wasn't right before I bought the car. The teenage girl I was buying the car from was selling me her 1966 Chevelle Malibu so she could get a Pinto. A PINTO. I didn't care, the car was cool, and I was a teenager in the mid 1980's.

It took a while before my girlfriend and I began to realize something strange was happening in the car. One day while cruising around in the Chevelle, as we often did, my girlfriend told me to stop throwing pennies at her. I told her I hadn't and had no idea what she was talking about. This happened a few times before we realized the pennies were flying from the back seat, the empty back seat, and landing in her lap. Sometimes we could see the pennies flying up with our peripheral vision, sometimes not. Occasionally we wouldn't see anything at all but when she got out of the car pennies would fall off of her lap. Other times there would not be pennies thrown at all but we could feel a presence in the back seat. Creepy.

One of the scariest things I have ever encountered was after I had spent time with my girlfriend at her house and I was driving back home by myself. It was the 80's but I was completely sober at the time. I was driving along jammin' music (probably Metallica) on the new stereo I had just installed in the Chevelle, when the pack of smokes I had resting on the dash slid to the left and fell on the ground. Weird, I thought, as I was driving on a straight road with no hills or anything. I put the smokes back on the dash. It happened again. They slid to the left and fell on the ground. This time when I reached down to pick them up I heard a loud BANG as something scrapped my leg. Wholly S*#@. I had no clue what could have caused either the noise or the leg scrape. But I had an idea WHO could have caused it, I turned down the music thinking maybe my invisible passenger didn't like the music I was playing and I quickly made my way home.

Other little things would occur with the car but nothing as scary as that. Sometimes I would have to work under the hood of the car, tinkering with the carburator and what not when the hood would fall and hit me in the head. These were not weak hood hinges in the least, if you put the hood up, it stayed up nice and strong. Unless I was working on it.

Unfortunately the car was t-boned in an accident and totaled. I didn't save any of the pennies, I wish I would have. I later learned that spirits sometimes communicate through coins, such as leaving coins in places where there were none previously.

I now see why the '66 Chevelle was sold to me to purchase a Pinto. I bet she and my ex-girlfriend will never forget that car, I know I won't.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, halfchewed, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

JennyB83 (12 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-01)
I used to have an old Dodge Charger... I don't remember the exact year, but I believe it was 80's. My uncle gave it to me as a gift. That car always creeped me out. I couldn't drive a stick shift very well, so I got rid of it & bought an automatic. The backseat never threw pennies at me though lol. Awesome story, thanks for sharing!:)
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
Love this! Haunted car stories are so rare.

Shame that the car was wrecked, I bet it was a beauty, even if it had a mind of it's own:P
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
halfchewed: Great story, I only wish you'd come on by and comment!...Yeah, a '66 Chevelle is what we of the '60's and '70's called a motorhead car... You know, I was thinking about something my brothers used to do just to piss each other off: they would flip pennies at each other, sometimes it stung pretty badly and would leave welts! 😆...Progression from spitballs, I guess 😆...I wonder if your ghostie was doing that?...The world may never know, since you choose to not participate... 😆
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
Hi halfchewed,
I get such a sense of dejavu from your story. The car, the pennies from the back seat? No, please don't get me wrong, I am not questioning the validity of your story, not at all! The story just seems so FAMILIAR to me! Call me crazy, but I swear I have heard, or read it before. Don't mind me, I might be a little senile he he... 😕
No, BlueTurtle, who ever 'searches' a car before buying it? I certainly did not!
Thanks for sharing! 😊
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
half-chewed,
I've heard of Pennies from Heaven", but "Pennies from the Back Seat"? I'm with Jav, I would prefer twenties. Maybe your ghost wanted a lap dance?

Investigated a case where some folks acquired a car and started experiencing the ghost of a little girl. Turns out the former owner had been arrested for a hit and run accident. One of his siblings had fixed the car and sold it. The little girl moved on eventually.

Lou
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
halfchewed,
You had a line in here that just cracked me up!
"It was the 80's but I was completely sober at the time" That's funny! I asked a girl I worked with years ago where she was from. She replied "S**B***, California. But I've been clean for three years" I couldn't stop laughing! She looked at me and asked,"What's so funny?" That was it for me, I was laughing too hard to answer!
We've had a few stories since I've been here about coins following certain people around. I think there was one about a stalking dime a year ago. The idea of money landing in your lap is pretty cool, but why can't it be paper money?
I was a bit surprized myself when you said she sold the Chevelle to buy a Pinto, A PINTO? It's obvious to me that she just didn't appreciate pennies from Heaven.

Thanks for sharing!

Jav 😊
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
It's almost a shame that the car was totaled, and I hope you were all right too if you were driving it.
Spirits are want to haunt houses and specific sites, so why not a car? Especially a classic like that. I'm sure whoever was the first owner of that car liked it very much. I wonder why they thought to get the attention of your girlfriend though.
Did you ever search the car before a drive to make sure there were no pennies? Did they appear out of thin air? That would be very peculiar.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: