You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Ghosts Of Snaresbrook

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts Of Snaresbrook

 

My name is Mike. For the last few months I've been throwing myself into paranormal investigation in London and Essex, along with my friends Daniel and Ajay. We're doing this because we've always half-believed in ghosts and spirituality, but never made a proper study of them before. We're looking to see or hear something that proves, if only to ourselves, the existence of some paranormal phenomena. We're after something genuinely extreme and inexplicable. Daniel is our technology guru, Ajay is a talented psyhic and since I fancy myself as a writer, I handle the write-ups.

This is the story of our first properly organised trip, made on Friday 2nd December, 2011. Unfortunately we were a team-mate down, as Daniel was working late and couldn't get to us in time.

Our destination was The Eagle pub in Snaresbrook. According to Paranormal Database, the area around The Eagle has been the site of shadowy figures and phantom phone calls. Since Snaresbrook is vaguely local to us, it seemed an ideal location for a ghost hunt.

We left Ajay's place at 7.30pm, armed to the teeth with notebooks, cameras, a thermometer, an EMF reader and a Dictaphone for EVP purposes.

As soon as we wandered onto Snaresbrook Road, we knew that this was going to be a good hunt. Across the road ornate houses lay under soft street lights. The park was next to us, one of it's many lakes glinting in the moonlight. The street was quiet and the air was excruciatingly cold. We knew straight away that something was waiting for us. We walked up the street, neither of us needing to say anything. We knew that we were being drawn on by something. We stopped by the middle of the lake. Something, or someone, had been expecting us. I could feel it on the edge of my senses, a confident, strong intensity that wasn't my own. In myself, I felt excited and strangely welcome. It was like a long-delayed homecoming.

We checked our instruments. The temperature was a steady 8.4 degrees. The EMF reader levelled off at 50 and stayed there. This was actually remarkable, because it usually flies up and down like a yo-yo.

"There's someone here." Ajay said.

I nodded.

"I know. Getting anything?"

I didn't need to ask, it was clear from Ajay's face that he was 'getting' a great deal. Whatever comes over him when he's channelling something was happening right now. The guy wasn't pulling the bizarre 'possessed' faces beloved by TV mediums. He just had a look of intense, distant concentration.

"I can see, or sense a guy, with short, dark hair, wearing a grey top, I think Diadora, or Dunlop, or some kind of cheap brand sport wear," Ajay said. "Navy jogging bottoms, and Reebok classics. I think his name was Clive. He was walking home, from a job maybe, and I think he got hit by a car, collapsed... Had a heart problem, yeah"

As Ajay was describing the guy, it all seemed to fit with what I was thinking. A man in his forties, someone small but wiry and strong. For some reason I was thinking - '80s. We had an '80s man with us, someone from a time when the economy was a little stronger, jobs were a little more plentiful, and the whole world was a little more confident.

It was all a little unreal, as if we'd stepped away from the normal world. But it was a good feeling, a million miles away from the dread that had come over us in previous investigations. It seemed like we were doing something right. I clicked on the Dictaphone and started recording.

"I there's anyone here that would like to speak to us, especially a gentleman in a grey top by the name of Clive - "

"No," Ajay interjected.

"OK, not Clive," I continued, "If you'd like to speak, talk to us now, say whatever you have to say." I stopped talking, let the Dictaphone keep running.

The feeling of having someone with us kept gradually building, getting more and more intense. It might have just been Ajay's influence, but I was starting to think that I could almost see the man in the grey top myself.

"It's weird," Ajay continued, "He's still really worried about that kid... His son. He had a son, and his son's still alive," Ajay paused for a second, then abruptly changed tone. "I don't want to stay here man, I want to leave."

It's not like Ajay to get spooked. Normally he's the one who holds the team together. I decided some gentle encouragement was in order.

"Let's just give it a few more minutes, take some photos, see if anything happens."

We busied ourselves with our cameras for a few minutes. For the most part, the results were pretty uninspiring. Please see the attached photos of a grey car and someone's front gate as evidence of just how boring our camera-work can be. The third photo on the other hand, provoked a 'What the HELL was that?' moment. Once it was taken, it showed a tendril of white light that definitely hadn't been in the frame when it was taken.

That last picture was our cut-off point. We're still new at this game, and when strange lights start showing up in photos, it's time to go. As we made our way back, Ajay continued chatting with our new friend.

"Oh you did, did you? That's nice!"

I looked at him as if he'd gone bonkers - a serious case of stones and glass houses, under the circumstances. Ajay explained himself.

"He says he reminds us of the kind of guys he used to bully in school." Not at all encouraging, but Ajay didn't seem phased. "But it's okay, he grew out of that shiat in the end."

This was getting weirder and weirder - now our guy was a reformed school bully. As we walked towards the pub, I swear I felt a gentle pressure on the back of my head. I told Ajay.

"Yeah, I think he's messing with us a little. He doesn't mean any harm - he's just having a laugh." I suppose when you're a dead man trapped by a lake you have to get your jollies wherever you can.

At length we reached the T-junction where Snaresbrook Road met Hollybush Hill. The company of some kind of deceased wide-boy had been surprisingly pleasant, but the last thing we wanted was him following us.

"Okay, we have to go now," I announced to whatever might be listening. "It's been good talking to you, but you can't come with us. I hope you find peace, or whatever you're looking for."

It was a pathetic, half-arsed banishing. However, coming after a pathetic, half-arsed channelling, I think it was completely appropriate. As we crossed the road onto Hollybush Hill, I felt a very real resistance over my legs and chest - it was as if I was walking through water. Clearly, the man in grey was a little reluctant to let us go. But the feeling passed as quickly as it started, and suddenly the normal world reasserted itself with a bump. We were just two guys carrying a lot of ridiculous kit, starving hungry and conveniently standing right outside a pub. FOOOD!

Over pub grub, we played back the tape from Snaresbrook. Ajay was sure that he could hear a voice, deeper and gruffer than either of ours, muttering softly in the background. At the time, I thought I could hear it too, a kind of grumbling, "nah nah naah" voice. I've listened intently to that tape a dozen times since then, and never been able to hear anything out of the ordinary. Reluctantly, I'm forced to conclude that the EVP was just our imagination.

The Snaresbrook hunt was a fascinating adventure. Unfortunately, the only evidence we found of supernatural activity was that creepy photo. Let's face it, although it looks spectral, that weird light is far more likely to be a reflection of somebody's headlights than a being from the hereafter. The weirdness I felt that night seemed very real, to the extent of actual physical sensations. But the problem remains the same - I can't actually prove any of it, even to myself, and consequently I can't ignore the possibility that Ajay and I were simply imagining everything.

Ghosts Of Snaresbrook 1
Ghosts Of Snaresbrook 2
Ghosts Of Snaresbrook 3
 

But even if we didn't find the proof we're looking for, we suitably freaked out, had a laugh, and even ended up in a pub. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is our idea of a successful investigation.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mtoper, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-05)
You know I can just see what Jav was talking about but I don't know if its just me but where the fence dips just before that figure I swear there's a vague figure there as well.

Probably seeing things!
ladycastlemaine (8 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
I really liked this story. I know the roads well round there and it makes a story extra creepy if you are familiar with the place!
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
haha! Now that you mention it, you did sound a little flustered.

No apologies required.

Are you referring to a search and rescue? Any news?

Mel
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
Mellybarr,
I am sorry if I sounded pushy, it was unintentional, I assure you. I had just returned from another fruitless search for a missing 6 year old girl from my town, and was just in a funk over it all when I posted my comment.

Jav
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
Jav - if you look at the other link I provided you'll see your man with the folder. I apologize if I misunderstood where you were referring to.

Http://web.tenniscanada.com/misc/others.jpg

As I mentioned in my earlier comment, I think this is the pointy pyramid that you see atop the other pillars but the ball is covered by leaves which is why it looks like a face.

Mel
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
I only see shrubbery and a wall there. I try not to over think what could be there unless it is in plain sight.
I feel the same way about EVP's too. If you have to struggle to make out words in a garbled bunch of white noise, maybe those words aren't there.
Matrixing works on hearing just like it does with vision. Our minds want to find some pattern, we aren't making that happen, it just does.
It has to be easy to recognize, in my opinion, before it can be considered to be paranormal.

Of course, that's just me... 😉

Jav 😜
SnoWQueeN (5 stories) (100 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
Jav,
Look at mel's first link. I just kept staring at the picture now all I can make out is a girl 😢 it's clearly visible to me from the begining when I opened the link.

~Nikky
SnoWQueeN (5 stories) (100 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
I see it in the picture which Mel pointed a boy with his head tilted. Its marked and zoomed I don't see a boy so cannot figure moustache either. As you pointed I can see a man holding a folder other than that I can't figure out anything else.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
SnoWQueeN,
That girl doesn't have a mustache by chance, does she? Are you looking at the guy I pointed out in my last post? The link mellybarr provided to what she thought I was looking at was not the right image. There is no link to the image I am talking about.

Jav

~So where is this girl you see?
SnoWQueeN (5 stories) (100 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Sorry guys... I meant 'shawl below her chin' 😁 and mtoper, its an interesting account would love to read more with new pictures... Kinda puzzle for me to find hidden things in the pics! Good luck!

~Nikky
SnoWQueeN (5 stories) (100 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
I saw the pic of the boy which Mellybarr provided. I can see a girl with her right eyes covered by her hair, smiling and her left hand kind of holding her shaw below her chin. I kept seeing it but in view its a image of a smiling girl.
Can anyone see it? If not I am sorry please don't mind 😊 everyone has different eye.

~Nikky
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Okay guys...
The image that I said looked like a manilla folder? It is NOT the orange rectangles near the metal gate. If you look straight at the photo, no enhancing needed here, then look at the right side of the wall as it nears the border of the pic itself. You will notice how the wall starts to dip downward, then levels out, right? Now, follow the wall to the edge of the photo itself. Right before the photo stops and you hit the white border, you will see what I see (hopefully).
Let me repeat myself here, it is not near the metal gate. It isn't either one of the orange rectangles of light near the center of the photo. It is off to the far right, near the edge of the pic, and just above the wall itself.
It looks like a guy standing on the other side of the wall, looking back at whoever is taking the picture. He seems to be holding a yellowish object that reminds me of a manila folder, right below chin level. In fact, the corner of said object looks like it is pointing into his chin.

Jav

Jav
laus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Hi Guys,
I haven't posted for a while but have being avidly reading for the last few months!
I just wondered, is there a certain way to read these kind of pictures? I have been studying both and cannot seem to see what everyone else is, all just looks normal to me... Apart from the manila folder! If anyone has any tips for me that would be greatly appreciated!
Awesome read too, m toper! Xo
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
enjoyed reading this one and thanks to mellybarr for the links to the pics did see what the others mentioned too, hope you have more to add on here mtoper thanks for adding 😁
Taz
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
haha, it's amazing what a night time pixellated image coupled with some shrubs can do to the eye!

That and sometimes I think my imagination is just a bit too wild 😳

Mel
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Melly-You know what, I think you have an excellent eye and you might be right. The pattern and slope of the the base of the ball does fit. Nice eye!
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
I see what you're seeing now Mimi!

Check it out. It looks like two faces, but do you think that pillar has a ball on it like the rest that's just partially blocked by leaves and maybe that's what we're seeing as a head?

Interesting though...

Http://web.tenniscanada.com/misc/others.jpg
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Melly- What I saw was a bit further to the right, at the very edge of the photo, just above the wall.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
I didn't see that before, but I do see it now. How wonderful! You can clearly make out his eyes, and he looks sad, no?
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Ok, it's time to show.

Boy
Http://web.tenniscanada.com/misc/littleBoy.jpg

Man that I think Jav sees
Http://web.tenniscanada.com/misc/man.jpg

Mel
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Ok, I'll tell before I show then 😁

Have a look between the two pillars on the right. When I adjusted my levels I saw really clearly a little boy sitting on the wall leaning against the pillar closest to the gate. He his head is tilted to "our right" and you can see his left arm and leg going over. It's hard to see anything but his face in the original pic, but I can see it so you should be able to. He looks like he's looking at the camera in a kind of sad and angry way.

Give me the chills.

Don't forget, I've got the pic if you can't see it.

Good luck!

Mel
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Try talking us through it first, that's half the fun of these. Lou had one photo in a story of his that none of us could figure out at first. It sort of looked like a very orange cat sitting in a tree. It ended up being the spirit he had been having so much trouble with. But it took a while, and one poster with a better way of looking at it, who figured it out. It was fun.

Jav 😆
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
ok, I've done some adjusting and can see what you're referring to now!

I would really like to show what I've seen though.

Is it possible?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Actually, if you use a magnifying lens, it is a much clearer image. It just looks like a regular guy. Flesh and blood human.

Jav
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
I brought it into PhotoShop and fooled around with the levels and still couldn't see what you're seeing, but I saw something else instead that you might find pretty interesting. I'm not sure how to show you though unless you send me your email and I forward it to you?

Mel
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Yep. He's holding so it is just below his chin and almost covering his entire chest. The folder looking object is at an angle.

Jav
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Huh... I'm sure you're referring to the photo with the gate? Where do you see this guy's face? Is it close to the "folder"?

Mel
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Look at it again mellybarr. He's right at the edge of the photo. See where the wall has a dip in it? Whatever he has in his hand sort of makes you think it is part of the wall, like the dip is rising back upward. But it's not. That's where he is.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
It's just as plain as day to me. There's a guy standing there, looking back at the camera from the other side of the wall.

Jav 😊
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
I don't see anyone looking back in the second photo, or anyone at all for that matter, but I can see what you mean about that orange thing looking like a manila folder (I didn't even know that term until now - thanks Jav).

As you can see it starts from the other side of the pillar and juts out in front of the gate which leads me to believe it to be some kind of security box or gate mechanism of some sort.

I see a small, bright orb in the first pic and nothing but what looks to be a camera strap on the bottom left corner of the last pic.

Thanks for posting, but I don't really see much.

Mel

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: