You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Old Woman In My Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Woman In My Room

 

Recently, I was woken up by a feeling that someone or something was walking next to my bed. I woke up around 3am to find that an old woman was walking towards my dressing, then standing next to my dresser, looking up at the ceiling, or at least it appeared she was looking at the ceiling. I recently put a new painting on my wall and she very well could have been looking at that. She wasn't looking at me at all and it seemed like she didn't even realize I was there.

I didn't think I recognized her but I'm not sure. I knew for sure it was an old woman though because of the grey hair and facial features. I also saw that she was wearing a housecoat and a nightgown, but her feet weren't visible. She was VERY realistic looking. It was so realistic I almost screamed out because I thought we had an intruder in the house. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Obviously, part of me is skeptical but could I have actually seen a spirit? If so, who could it have been? I don't understand what the purpose of me seeing this spirit was because they didn't seem to want to communicate with me. This is also my first "sighting" of the paranormal. I have never been haunted before and it felt like this person, whoever it was, was moreso just passing through the house. What I mean is, it didn't feel like the spirit was haunting me or the house. If that had been the case, I don't know why this would be my first experience being that I've lived here for over 20 years.

Is it possible they were just "passing through"? Thanks for reading! I just want some answers or opinions.:)

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kaykay27, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

kaykay27 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-30)
thank you so much for responding everyone! I'm not sure that i'm going to be answering every question but i'll try my best. The painting was actually painted by a friend of mine, so it's only a few years old and I obviously know the painter. But the scene is supposed to be a place in ireland. Originally, I had different pictures in that same spot, one of which I had only placed on that spot on my wall a few weeks ago, which was a picture of my grandparents who aren't alive at this time.

I like what a lot of you said, which was that maybe the person was just passing through. And it could have definitely been a past owner of the house. I know for sure that an older woman had lived here prior to our moving in. And the house is at least 60 years old.

I should do more research to find out more about the house and past owners. All of your ideas make me feel more comfortable with what I saw so thank you for that. I just needed verification that what I saw could have been real and not just my imagination.
creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Can you connect with the people that lives at
Yours before you? They may have had some strange experiences
Or had some family history. What was the painting? Because you can track her that way. By the way, did she seem to be walking or floating? And are you sure it wasn't just a long dress that erased all evidence of her feet? I hope this helps. Keep me posted!
Also check out The woman in the chair and ghost on the ceiling.

Thx kk bye:)
solitude (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Can you show us the painting? It could strongly relate to her. Maybe you should do some research.
destineelynne (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
KayKay,
This could have been very many different things. It is VERY likely that it was just passing through. Due to the fact that you haven't seen it before. Also, as already stated, the painting could possibly be the key to this scary encounter. Where did you get this painting from? Is it older?
If you have no more experiences with this woman, then she probably was just passing through. If not, it is most likely the painting.
-DestineeLynne
Max_b (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Im not convinced by the hypnopompic illusion theory. One pet theory I have about these sorts of full colour, highly detailed apparitions which are often seen upon waking, or when we are in certain relaxed states, particularly when we have low levels of optical stimulus (at night, or in dim and darkened conditions), is that we are actually seeing what somebody else saw at that same location, but at a different time in the past.

I'm not convinced these are 'spirits' as such, but merely that you are picking up what somebody else was seeing in the past. You are seeing through the viewers eyes - as it were. Although that in itself is astonishing enough.

It's all based on heisenburg's uncertainty principle, which might allow transmission of information over either same location but different time (apparition) , or same time but different location (telepathy) during a powerful emotional event experienced by the broadcaster, which is then picked up by you the receiver, when you are in an altered state of consciousness.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
kaykay,

I think it is all about the painting. Either the woman showed up with it, or it inhibitted her normal behavior. Was there anything previously hanging where the painting is now? She may have noticed the change, or as I said, it may have stopped something she has always done.
In my time as a paranormal investigator, we had a client who had what seemed to be a classic residual haunt. A man would be seen walking out of a bedroom, turning down a hallway and walking through the wall at the end of the hall. It was witnessed by the homeowner and several of their friends and relatives over the course of the first year they owned the home.
The woman called our team because one morning she came into the kitchem to make coffee and the man was standing at the kitchen sink smiling at her... He turned and faded away as he left the room. What was once a residual haunt, became a very intelligent encounter.
When we met the woman and talked to her about her home she said that where the man would walk through the wall in the hallway, there used to be a door to the outside. A couple years prior, the prior owner had built an edition off that end of the house and eliminated that doorway. But prior to the kitchen incident, the man walked through the wall like the door was still there.
When we asked the woman to show us the location, it was simply the end of a hallway with a doorway to the left that accessed the new addition, which consisted of a family room/bar and a bath. At the end of the hallway, hung on the wall was a small curio cabinet with small nick-nacks and personal items. I looked at the cabinet, and then to the floor. I noticed a white powder in the seam between the carpet and the baseboard trim. When I asked her when the cabinet had been hung, she concluded that it was just a day or two before the sighting of the man in the kitchen.
I guess what I am getting at is that spirit activity takes place around us all of the time. Those who are sensitive all the time, can confirm this... Those who have occasional or random sightings, many times never investigate what may have caused it and sometimes try to write it off as their imagination or some other factor. Why he could walk through a wall like it wasn't there but then be thrown off by a shelf will always be a mystery; but when she moved the cabinet, he went back to his normal routine.
Why spirits do what they do, and what we do to attract or alter their behavior can very well be the reason they are seen. The woman could have very likely been a resident or common visitor to your home for all of the past twenty years; but by changing the environment, you may have caused her to hesitate, falter, or change her path of least resistence, opening herself to someone from whom she normally hides.

Lou
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
I usually quit reading a post the minute 3 am is mentioned, but you do say "around" 3 am, and your account otherwise seems sincere. This could be a residual haunt, not an actual presence (which would explain why she took no notice of you). As for why you saw her, I'm not sure there has to be a reason. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (or the right place at the right time) to see her. Also, the fact that you had been asleep and may not have been fully awake at the time might have made you more susceptible or open to seeing her. In any event, she doesn't sound harmful, so try not to get too scared. There's no evidence she even noticed you, let alone had any harmful intentions.
chibitaliaftw (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
I feel uncomforitable when I'm in certain rooms in my house such as the bathroom, my bedroom, and occasionally the laundry room. I feel as though I'm being watched. When I feel like this I light incense, it works for me! Try that. Or you could try burning sage. ❤
Qua (39 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Could you have bought the painting from an antique shop? Perhaps a new furniture? The old woman could be attached to it.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Rook - those were my thoughts exactly 😉. Hopefully kaykay27 will be able to shed some light on the painting. It could be nothing, then again...
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Miracles,

Interesting point you have abut the painting. Nothing for 20 years and after hanging the painting a 'visit'...could be a couple of things.

First: The 'change' in the home...ie: The new picture may have 'stirred up' activity and this spirit just wanted to see what had been placed on 'her' wall.

Second: The 'spirit' may be attached to the picture and was examining it's 'new home'.

Kaykay,

Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
eunice (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
creepy story...
Im just curious as to what is painted in your painting? Why would she be fascinated to it.? And did you bought this painting as a brand new one? Because if not, may be this painting might belong to her and it has something to do with her that she couldn't afford to loss it from her sight.

Or may be, she was a lost spirit who happens to pass by your house.

Thanks for sharing:)
vantresa (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
How long has the house been there? Maybe she just was passing through and didn't realize you were there because to her maybe you weren't there. Some spirits travel back through time and aren't aware someone is around at all or just maybe she is linked to the painting.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
kaykay27 - when I read your story, I thought "How ironic. I was just telling someone else about this 😊) Personally, and this is just my personal opinion based on things I've experienced so I have no scientific facts to back me up, I do believe that ghosts do sometimes just pass through.

There have been too many times that there has been just one sighting, or someone has heard a ghost just one time in the whole 30 years they've lived in their home (I'm just giving an example here). So I'd have to say, "Yeah, sometimes they do just pass through. Who knows why? Maybe it's that old 'Why does the chicken cross the road thing?' or maybe a change of scenery, curiosity... There could be hundreds of different reasons. And I'd say those reasons are different for each ghost. Just as different as the reasons you and I do things differently.

Just because I'm curious, this new painting you bought? Is it new, as in brand new? Or new to you?
mrfear672india (106 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
I think it is not a spirit.
Is it first time you saw her?
It may be something else.
I couldn't explain.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: