You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Stairwell

Real Ghost Stories

The Stairwell

 

When I was 8, I still slept in my parents room. One night I went upstairs and made my way towards my parents bedroom. I tried to open the bedroom door but it was locked so I decided to wait outside the door hoping my parents would open the door for some reason then I could come in. I should mention that my parents bedroom was about 5 feet away from the stairwell.

As I sat there I looked down the stairwell and there, staring at me was the face of a man with brown skin. I didn't realize what it was until later that night. I couldn't quite make out what it was exactly and didn't think much of it. Also, the lighting was dark where the face was making hard to see. I ignored it.

A few minutes later, I looked down there again and there it was, only closer. I figured at this point it was just one of my toys or something as I had many of them scattered across the floor. I ignored it once again and eventually fell asleep. I don't know exactly how long I was asleep but I know it wasn't long before I woke up feeling uncomfortable from sleeping on the floor. After I woke up, I tried to open my parents bedroom again. Locked. At that point I decided it was time to face facts, I had to sleep in my room.

As I got up, I looked down the stairwell one more time and there it was at the bottom of the stairwell. It was a face. A face of a person with brown skin. It had no eyes. I don't remember seeing a body on this face. I was horrified. I immediately dashed to my room, locked my door, jumped in bed, pulled the covers over my head, then fell asleep.

I never saw the face again, but the image will be forever burned into my brain.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MrParanormal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AdriannaMarieCole (10 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
Do you have any idea if the ghost could have locked the door, & made it so your parents couldn't hear you?
Boo1234 (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
Hi, I had something similar happen to me a few years ago at my friends house okay well I'll write the story not in detail. Well, it all started when my friend (lets call her T) decided to have a slumber party at her house with only me. T and I decided to go to her kitchen upstairs and then I had a eerie feeling of being watched and I happened to look at the front door that was behind the stairs and I noticed a face. T said she kicked a ball there but in the morning I looked and it had no face just a black mark.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-23)
This must have been quite terrifying for you. At eight years old, sometimes things appear to be "scarier" than they really are. I am not trying to debunk your story but if nothing else happened to you, maybe it was just the over-active eight-year-old brain at work. However, out of curiosity... Has anything else ever happened to you before paranormal-wise?

Thanks, zeta.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-21)
MrParanormal,
It sounds very frightening, especially for an eight year old. I know if it were me, I would have been doing the same, hiding under the covers. Thank you for sharing.

Jav

[at] Rook. There are locks on all the bedroom doors in my house. They are the simple spin type locks that can be opened easily with a screwdriver, but locks nonetheless. Nothing more frightening for a teenaged girl than to have someone swing that door open when you are trying to change clothes.
๐Ÿ˜Š
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Well that was an experience. You are really courageous MrParanormal. Nice narrative.
abhinav (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
I would say ' you were brave kid at that very young age'.
When I was 8 I remember running screming to my parents room, if I even herd a click outside:D
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Thought the same thing but was trying to be modest but who was I kidding! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
And now I think we may have just made this story creepier for MrParanormal ๐Ÿ˜†
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Hehe glad to see that I'm not alone here ladies ๐Ÿ˜†

Nothing makes you feel like a worse parent than tripping over your asleep child curled up outside your bedroom door and thinking "whoops we forgot to unlock the door!"
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
I was thinking the same thing ๐Ÿ˜†...Either we're just a bunch of dirty birdies or, wait, there isn't any "or" ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
sara77 - I laughed to myself when I read this story because I was imagining, without trying to imagine ๐Ÿ˜‰, why the door to the parents' room was locked. ๐Ÿ˜†
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
I don't know about anyone eles but I have locked my child out of my room before.

Some things are scarier than the paranormal and trying to have some "alone time" with my husband and getting that feeling of being watched (and it isn't a ghost) is something that I would class as scary (for myself and my youngster) ๐Ÿ˜จ
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
I second Rook on that question about locking your door.
Some questions of my own:
(1) Besides getting scared, what other emotions did you get from this face?

(2) Did you knock on your parent's door when you found out that it was locked? I know I would want my child to sleep in his/her own bed but locking them out is not the best way to do it (personally).

(3) Did you ever tell your parents about this incident and if so, what did they say?

(4) Do you have any siblings and if so, did they experience anything in the house?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
I wish I could have locked my door when I was eight.

It's not that this 'experience' sounds 'fake', not at all, but I do question the fact that an eight year old had a lock on their bedroom door.

So, while I stand on the fence, I ask this question... Did your door really have a lock on it OR did you barricade the door to lock it?

Thanks...

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: