You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House In Walton

Real Ghost Stories

The House In Walton


Firstly I would like to tell you, I lived in Romford, Essex Until I was 12 years old. I then moved with my family to Walton-on-the-naze and lived there for five years of my life. During these five years strange and frightening things happened to me and I would like to tell you all about it...

The house itself is old and Victorian looking, it has three floors. When we first moved in I could feel some other kind of presence in there (I have always had a sixth sense about spirits, I can usually feel if there's something else there that were not seeing with our eyes). And that's all it was for quite a while, just a feeling.

Over the first year or two things were fine. I was 12 at the time and I wasn't comfortable with the feeling I got, I just learnt to live with it. Anyway, after some time the feeling grew stronger and I had to run from room to room because I was sure someone was watching me. I started to not like being alone in any part of the house, other than my bedroom.

My bedroom was on the second floor, along with my brother's and sister's rooms and a bathroom. So luckily I didn't have to go far if I needed a wee in the night! On the first floor was my parents' room and a spare bedroom. (I did not feel comfortable on this level at all). I felt almost as if there was definitely something waiting for me in the hallway to my parents' room, it didn't like me being there at all.

One night I wasn't very well, very sick. My mum said it would be better for me to stay in the spare room (next to her bedroom) so she could hear me if I needed her. I wasn't hallucinating at all, I wasn't even half asleep. I lay down on the bed and faced away from the door (as I said, I didn't like the hallway outside and I didn't like being in that room at all). I closed my eyes for a second, when I heard a deep manly breath right up close in my right ear. I was petrified, but as I am curious I did eventually turn around and look (obviously there was nothing to be seen). I could tell by the feelings I got that it wasn't a living being.

A few months later I had gotten over what happened in the spare room, I did not sleep in there again. I still felt the presence but after it made itself known to me I managed to walk past it more easily.

It was another normal Saturday night, I was sitting at the computer in my parents' study/dining room. Now the ground floor of the house spooked me the most. I really didn't like being in any of the rooms by myself and this particular night, I was so engrossed with whatever it was on the computer. One by one my family said goodnight and made their way upstairs to bed. The next time I looked at the clock it was 1:00am. And I was in the pitch black (only the computer monitor lighting up the room) all alone. Exactly what I didn't want. I remember acting as though I hadn't noticed so the entity didn't realise I was nearly wetting myself. I listened for a moment, then suddenly my family dog CoCo was sniffing at the kitchen door (he lived in the kitchen and the door was always closed). He sniffed and sniffed then started growling! And he is a right softie, never growled in his life until then. Straight after the growl my heart started thumping (knowing dogs have a sixth sense, and I knew the atmosphere was all wrong). I can't explain it better than, I knew something was about to happen. Tears started streaming down my face, but I thought I can't just sit here all night, I slowly got up off the chair and edged towards the door. As I started creeping I heard a knock, I paused and then, clear as day a little girl giggled! I was amazed, as I thought the only entity was the "man" on the first floor. Although I heard a little girl I still had the uneasy feeling I didn't feel safe. In the end I plucked up the courage and ran down the hall (where the giggling came from) and up the stairs to my bedroom.

I told my mum about this but she refused to even talk to me about it, she didn't want anything to do with it. Having had experienced things herself in her own lifetime.

After that night I was positive there is something not happy living with me and my family and it wanted to scare me and wanted to be known.

The following weeks were normal after that, I avoided being alone in the house at all. But about a year and a half later, I ended up alone again. I remember watching TV in the living room, the dog was outside in the garden and the lights were all on, but it was dark outside. I remember my mum saying she was going out and if I needed her to call. I had been on my own about 15 minutes and felt like a drink. I walked down the hall towards the kitchen and suddenly a huge smashing sound came from inside. (Even though I had things happen to me in the house I didn't assume it was paranormal.) I ran to the kitchen door and opened it. Then all I saw there in the middle of the floor were three smashed plates and two bowls, which were sitting on the side counter about a meter away from where they were now. I examined it for a second then realised it wasn't an accident, something had to of picked up the plates and bowls and slammed them down onto the floor a meter away, they were cracked and chipped but they were all piled on top of each other like they had been on the side!

At this point I screamed as loud as I could, "Leave me alone! Just go away!" I now felt so threatened by this... Thinking what if it could hurt me?

So, I thought that was it, I thought it had gone. Nothing else happened until one day... This particular day I was not alone, my younger sister and her friend were with me in the living room and my mum was in the kitchen. We were all sitting watching TV when suddenly the large mirror hanging above my parents' fireplace fell and made a huge crashing sound. Me and my sister and her friend screamed and fled away from the room and told our mum. When we all went to investigate we saw, the mirror hadn't broken, it was sitting on the mantelpiece above the fireplace (you would have thought it was heavy enough to fall and smash onto the floor!) My mum assumed its string had broken but when she checked the back, the string was in one piece, and the screws holding the mirror up were still in the wall. Just like it had been lifted off the wall.

After that I told everything to my mum and explained there wasn't a nice feeling on the ground and first floor, she believed me! From then on I felt strong enough to cope with the nasty presence... I ignored it and it didn't bother me again!

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WFS, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

pearlangel (1 stories) (16 posts)
9 years ago (2014-05-15)
Freaky and creepy story
Happy to know that you are ignoring the presence... 😜 😳 😁
Bio_Logic (11 posts)
9 years ago (2014-05-10)
That was freaky. I heard sage can help in some hauntings? Burn sage and see what happens?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: