You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: I Am Der Teufel

Real Ghost Stories

I Am Der Teufel

 

Recently I have taken an interest in seances and have been doing some research into how best to conduct one. The first thing I thought of was, of course, an ouija board. Not knowing how to use one, or even where to get one, I browsed various web sites including Castle of Spirits as well as this one for stories involving ouija boards and instructions on how to use one. I also watched some youtube videos of (supposed) seances.

So far I have gathered that there are many different methods of using an ouija board, such as:

- Chants

- Prayers

- Candles

- Minimum of three people (multiples of three apparently work better)

- One speaker only

- Keeping contact with the pointer at all times

- Touching the pointer with only two fingers

- Saying goodbye to the spirit when you are done

- Never speak to a demon or angry/violent spirit, and

- Explicit instructions not to use them at all

As such, I still wasn't 100% confident I knew what I was doing, but I moved onto the next step of actually getting an ouija board. I'm told they can be bought at toy shops (THEY'RE NOT TOYS!) but I'm also told home made ones work just as well.

So with my home made ouija board in one hand and pointer glass in the other, I began looking for someone I knew who might be more experienced with seances. To my surprise, I discovered that my dad knew quite a bit and had performed some fifty odd seances in his teen years. To my disappointment however, he flat out refused to perform one with me. When I asked him why, he recounted one seance that terrified him to the point that he has never gone near an ouija board since.

He performed a seance with some friends in Melbourne, Australia and made contact with a particularly violent spirit. This spirit was extremely uncooperative and moved the pointer so forcefully that it repeatedly fell off the table. When asked its name, the spirit spelt out 'DER TEUFEL'. At the time, the group thought it was gibberish but wrote it down anyway.

PLEASE NOTE: My Dad does not recall what the exact word was (it happened 30 years ago), only its meaning.

Some days later, one of the people involved looked into what 'DER TEUFEL' meant. He found that it was German for 'the Devil'.

Now before anyone goes off at me for telling such an extreme story, understand that I too think it extremely unlikely that this spirit was actually the devil. My understanding is that spirits, like humans, are under no obligation to tell the truth. I also don't recall the Devil ever referring to himself as 'the Devil' in the bible (I could be wrong). Either way, it is a pretty incredible story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JPing, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

flamewithin (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-19)
i didn't know that. He has a lot of names doesn't he. Interesting story I wonder how many he has
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-04)
Like I think I mentioned in the story, my father didn't recall the exact word, merely that it was German and that it meant 'the devil'. So when I wrote the story I looked up the translation.
bardsidhe (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
well I looked up 'Der Tuefel' and you are right it means "The Devil" though like you I doubt that it was the Iconic one himself... If indeed such a individual exists...
you are right though, there is no law that states spirits must tell the truth,
what interest me is why the spirit opted to speak in German...
but heed your fathers advice, follow his lead and don't mess with those things.
essiej (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
I have always been encouraged to find my truth. I have been warned about communication boards (that's what lots of things are called round my house) but only to make sure I know what I am doing, and not to just walk in blind. Going in with someone who knows what they are doing is along those lines. Many different sides to everything.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-16)
😜 o'ya did I mention, that there have been many personal accounts about O boards that have influenced my comfort level, but yes, I know I am being suggestable in this matter.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-16)
BTW- ouija boards are what you make of them, neither invested with power or not. However, in the west nowadays we do expect them to be negative and scary, so do what makes you feel safe around them. And if that means not playing with them, that's fine. Now, if you are one of the few hardy (nonsuggestable) souls in the world, and have decided that they are just a medium and nothing more, then you have what it takes to use them. As for me, they are too big and cumbersome. I prefer Tarot, writing, etc.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-16)
Hi Jping, well I wasn't exactly thinking that the DerTeufel had anything to do with Your ancestors, but now that you mention it. Could it be?
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-16)
"Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself..." - J.K. Rowling

I never dreamed that a quote from Harry Potter might be applicable to... Anything. :D

A name alone has no meaning or power other than that which we associate with it.

I do not believe that the Devil is a being as such. Rather, I see him as the evil side of human nature.

He is not something to be feared or ignored, but something we should identify as being a part of ourselves, a part of who we are and what makes us tick.

They say that every human being is capable of murder given the right circumstances. If we can recognise what those circumstances are that make us surcome to that ultimate evil then perhaps we can prevent the consequences.

Before we can defeat the Devil, we must first understand him.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-13)
Of course the devil would never refer to himself as such. People who believe that he exists believe strongly in what his name represents. It is evil personified. To announce who he was in biblical times, I believe, would have been moot.
Many, MANY famed murderers, rapists, child molesters etc have held the same title. Coincidence? I think not. I think they are all evil personified. So maybe the one that was contacted was not the original, only a copy cat. Know what I mean? An evil entity MAY very well have been contacted.
I do not think I would put myself in the position where contact of one as powerful as to be able to claim all the evil in the world could contact ME. I know that it a hard read there, but I do not know how to express it. Do not speak the name, do not give it power, basically.
Very basically.
Thank you.
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-11)
Thanks Abby for those wise (but no less confounding) words. :D

I did find this protection prayer:

Angles of Mercy who guide us through the dark,
Watch over us now as we open the door to the unknown and invite the spirits in to speak with us.
Ensure we do not stray and protect us from all evil until we close the door and are done.

Apparently you're supposed to envision a white circle of light around you when you say it. Another proctection prayer I'm told that works is the Lords Prayer.
Abby (710 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Dear Jamie,

I think as in all things unknown, when there is time to make a responsible decision about anything within our lives; we would be wise to choose to take the time and opportunity to look before we leap. I would also like to offer the suggestion of finding some form of protection ritual which we connect with before embarking on the path of the unknown, and even the known as well.

As with all things within us and within our present lives, we are captains of our own ships or lives. As human beings, we are our soul's sole responsibility. In other words, it is our choice to choose, and our responsibility to handle the outcome or results of our choices.

Is it quite possible that your father already knew the German word Der Teufel. Sometimes, we conjure up things or beings from our own inner selves. He may have ran across that word without remembering until then too.

My feeling is that you just wished to relate your story and already have knowledge about the Ouija board and the consequences of using a Ouija board before writing this story to be submitted here.

Like with all things, when you open a door without boundaries to those who shall be allowed in; you should not be surprised who might show up at the door, even if it is the devil himself, in any language. ;)

Jamie, it is as always, your choice and your responsibility for whatever the outcome may be.

Blessings and Common Sense, Abby :)
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Hi Jamie! I do agree that the Ouija board is an opening to enitities, demonic beings or what have you that most the time are bad news! Only from experience do I know this! I would suggest never to use one because a demonic entity can play like they are something good only to turn you're world upside down, forever! Anyway, like it has been sad to you, it is up to you whether or not you want to dabble in this sort of thing but please make sure you know how to use it and how to end the session. And also, do it with people that have experience with it. Ever since I used one, a couple of times, I've had a lot of scary paranormal things happen to me but that could just be coincidental!? I was, I think 13 or younger, not sure, when I used it. Who knows for sure. Right?! I say don't open a realm you don't need or want in your life! Good luck and I'll pray for you! 😊 -Shelby ❤
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Jp: I heard that it wasn't but alas whoever told me that has just been proven wrong, But thanks for clearing that up for me.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Wow nice story. If I were your dad I would be scared to. Be Carefull using the ouji board. I to believe it is very exciting but at the same time very dangerous. See you soon and take care
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
rose, funly enough my Dad said nothing about any danger I could be in from using an ouija board, merely that he wanted nothing to do with it. Like I said, he's done over fifty seances and nothing bad has happened to him. So I'd say he knows lots on how to perform one, but nothing on the consequences.

Athena, I actually have some German ancestors, although I believe they migrated to Australia well before the war. Make of that what you will if you think you're on to something.

jeya, you're absolutely right, it is my decision and I will treat it as that. However I am none-the-less still open to advice.
jeya (4 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
jping whether others try to tell you to play or not play with that board it makes no difference on what your choice will be, the only thing that we could do is advise you and warn you. It is however important that, if you do decide to play with the board, you know how to use it properly and what the proper method is. I have known a couple people that have messed with the board without knowing what to do and have payed serious consequences. I wish you luck. :)
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Yes he is. I know Satan is mentioned in Genesis and also when he tempts Jesus during his forty days in the desert. I'm sure there are other places too.
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
People have claimed that Jesus or Princess Diana has talked to them, As many people have said on this website there spirits like messing with you.
And a Question to anyone who has actually read the bible: Was Satan EVER mentioned in the bible?
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Don't worry, I havn't made a mess yet. And after reading a few more stories here about Ouija boards I am having second thoughts.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
Now I understand why all the questions regarding the ouija board on the story my friend Sally. You haven't accidently let something in have you? Like by playing with the board alone, or with out a piece of silver upon it, failing to close the session properly things like that. The ouija board is a very dangerous tool, especially in the hands of the inexperienced. Listen to your father and some of the people here even if it is not I. The ouija board never leads to anything good.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
I think it is fascinating! Thanks for telling us this story. There is a connection between Australia and Germany... After WWII lots of Jewish survivors emmigrated there. And with them a few nazis too. I can only imagine who he was communicating with. I hope that your seances aren't terrifing!
rose (9 stories) (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
JPing=Pay attention to Dad. He's been there and knows a lot about the board. The board is dangerous and how ironic it is, being sold in toys store. But yet it does have a reason, for the demonic spirit world and that is, they know the young are easy target, and adults thinking it is just a game and sold in toy store, how easy for a child and adult to believe it represent no danger at all. Make wise choices and avoid a lot of unpleasant situations.
Take care
Rose
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
well... I have said it numerous times and at least numerous times on this site alone, ouijia boards are BAD news. I do hope you will be careful and understand the full spectrum of what you are dealing with and what you may be perpetrating and causing to open potals of the unknown.

I will say a prayer for you.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: