You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Owl Of Wisdom

Real Ghost Stories

The Owl Of Wisdom

 

When I was younger my great grandmother, who was part Cherokee, used to share Native American legends with me. One of my favorite ones was about The Owl of Wisdom. Unfortunately my great grandmother died when I was six. Though she had passed on her legends still live in my memory.

One afternoon my friend, who we will call Elizabeth due to privacy reasons, and I were talking about our favorite childhood memories. So I told her about the nights I spent with my great grandmother and the legend of The Owl of Wisdom. Also about how my great grandmother use to braid wild flowers into my long dark brown hair and how we made homemade soap together. It always brings me peace to think on these things.

Later that same night as I was outside star gazing and thinking about my great grandmother I noticed an owl sitting on a branch in my yard looking right at me. It was so beautiful, tan and brown feathers with a red tint, an off white colored stomach and yellow piercing eyes.

I ran inside and got Elizabeth to show her the owl and to grab my camera so I could get a picture of it before the owl flew away. Not thinking I turned on the porch light, kicking myself because most people know changes in lighting, loud noises and sudden movements startle nocturnal animals I turned off the light and to my relief the owl was still there.

I quickly tried to take a picture but for some reason it would not come out clearly. So I tried one more time, the picture finally took but it was only an empty branch. I looked up from my screen and noticed the owl had flown off but I didn't see what direction and the woods it would have flown into are not thick so I would have noticed if it had perched on a nearby branch. Elizabeth even said she didn't see it fly off. It was like it vanished. Struck with awe we finished our cigarettes and went inside.

I believe that it was my grandmother's way of letting me know that she is still with me in spirit and that in a way she sent me my own Owl of Wisdom out of gratitude for continuing to share the legend.

Also reminding me that somethings aren't meant to be captured on paper or through a photo but within ourselves, it was such a wonderful moment.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mystic25, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bee_Beans (6 stories) (41 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-29)
What a lovely story, Mystic. I have to say that the last line sends it straight into my favourites:)
Mystic25 (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-07)
Antu,She has shared many stories though this one is the only legend that I've ever had an experience with.

Parinoid_Believer I agree with you in a lot of ways. And possibly it was her who came in the form of an owl or maybe she sent one I'm not sure but either way it was a beautiful moment.
Paranoid_believer (1 stories) (35 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-07)
I believe your grandma was just letting you know she's still around and I guess she was happy you still valued most of the discussions you had with her. And since you cherished the owl's legend she decided to take the form of an owl. This is one touching story! Glad to know your great grandma still loves you.
Respectfully!
Antu (1 stories) (27 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-06)
Brilliant story Mystic! Would love to hear more of your Great Grandmother's tales of wisdom, hopefully you are able to post them!

Cheers~~Antu
Mystic25 (guest)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-05)
It's a pleasure, I'm honestly happy to see that some people can appreciate such a simple yet wonderful spiritual event. 😊
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-05)
Instant fav for me to Mystic. I live in the country and hear them all the time but don't often get to see them. When they do oblige me with their presence, I'm always awestruck. Powerful forces imo.

Thank you so much for sharing! 😊
Mystic25 (guest)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-03)
Your welcome, I am a huge owl fan myself and this will always live strong in my memory, It was an amazing moment and I will always carry on her legends to my daughter so maybe one day if time continues she can pass it on to hers.😊
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-01)
Mystic, this is an instant favourite, much thanks for sharing! 😁

What a magical experience you had and I love your reasoning for the camera behavioiur.
Owl obsessed lunatic here. Thanks again for sharing. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: