You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Alpine

Real Ghost Stories

The Alpine

 

This isn't a super scary story, just kind of unusual. About two years ago, when I was pregnant with my daughter, we decided to spend a weekend on the Wisconsin peninsula in Door County. As a child, my husband went to stay at a hotel called the Alpine right on the bay. When we got there I thought it looked like it could have been the motel from The Shining. We went in our room and it was really outdated, but in a charming kind of way.

The 13 inch tv even had a knob you had to turn without a remote - and NO CABLE! The first evening we were there, the false ceiling tiles started bouncing around. We joked that the place might be haunted, it sure looked like it should be! We explained it away to air pressure or vents. The next part though, I still can't explain. I've always been an early riser, so whenever I stay at hotels it's really hard because I'm up about 3 hours before the normal person on vacation. I was laying there at around 5:30 when I heard a door open. I looked up, though it sounded like it was outside of our room. In the round mirror of the waterfall dresser facing our bed, I could see a door open with a light on the other side of it. Well, the mirror is basically facing me, but above the bed a little bit. I looked above myself at the wall, and around the room for that matter, and there's obviously not a door or any light source that it could have originated from. The light in the doorway of the mirror opened and shut a couple of times and then after about 30 seconds it was gone. I could hear it opening and shutting, but like I said, it sounded like it was outside the room. It didn't scare me, I just thought it was really neat and couldn't explain it.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, HeatherO, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

HeatherO (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Thanks for your comments. I've had lots of small paranormal events happen in my life, just not nearly as exciting as most of the posts on here! Here's a link to the resort. Door county is a beautiful place to visit (in the summer). Http://www.alpineresort.com/
It was built as a resort in the 20's. I suppose it's possible it's been renovated. Possibly the antique dresser had some residual energy from a previous dwelling? I emailed the resort to ask if they've had any other reports similar to mine but they didn't respond. I think someone is producing a "ghost" show about the area. The Alpine is not known to be haunted as far as I know though. Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate the response.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Hi Heather.
I can just imagine the confusion as you were looking around the room for a possible explanation. Did you, by chance, happen to ask the desk clerk as to possible renovations to the building?
I did not read every one's comments here, but I think what you saw may actually be a residual haunting that got recorded onto the mirror. You never saw a person? That is interesting. A door opening and shutting, even though sounding as if it was coming from outside the room sure would wake me up quick if I was not already awake!
Thank you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Hi Heather. That was an enjoyable story, I liked it. Since you are familiar with sleep paralysis and are quite sure this wasn't it, I believe you. You've had the experience so you know the feelings during and the feelings as you are coming out of a sleep paralysis episode. So... Was the Inn a residence originally? There's a good chance it was and I suppose if it was, it would have been a very grand residence but that would be pretty common for the age of the house and the style of the wealthy. It would probably be pretty easy to do some research on the place. I realize you thought the ceiling tile movements could have been explained by drafts or venting, but maybe not? Seeing a door opening where there was no door is a little harder to rationalize away though, isn't it? Imagine the history, the drama, the emotion tied to a place like that? Wow, it would really be something else! I'll bet there are hauntings galore there! The door opening and closing like that sounds like it might be residual, you know, from a previous layout of the house. The place had to have been renovated at least once when it became an Inn, and how many times before that? As for the ceiling tiles, who knows why spirits do the things they do? There are probably lots of happy, and maybe not so happy, wanderers there. I'd love to spend a weekend there, it sounds like a grand adventure! And, after all that, I'm curious to know if you've had other experiences throughout your life? Thanks for sharing your story.
HeatherO (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Thanks for your comments. I was wide awake when this happened, there were no doors in our room being opened (and most definitely not one that would have been in the reflection of the mirror). I just asked my husband and he said I woke him up after I saw it to tell him about it. I experience sleep paralysis on a semi- regular basis, and it wasn't that. I did not see a hand or anything in the doorway, just the light. The door was pretty much just black. I don't remember any features.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Hmmmm... A reflection of a residual haunting,maybe?...A haunted mirror perhaps or a view of a portal maybe. There is a list of possiblites it could be, even a waking dream is possible.I'll have to give this one some thought. Whatever it was, it was very interesting. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😐
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
that is rather interesting. When you saw the door opening and closing in the mirror, was there any one in the door way on the mirror? Just curious.

thanks for sharing y9our story,
God Bless!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
So you are saying your own bedroom door never opened or closed and the light was not coming from the hallway or your own room. All this took place in a mirror. Haunted mirror perhaps? Mirrors have always held mysteries and some think they are the portals to seeing another dimension. I collect mirrors and some are very old but I have yet to see anything odd in any of them. Also and I hate to sound like a broken record but we can think we are awake when in all reality we are only half awake. Not saying this was just a dream just saing the possibilty is there. I am leary about incidents that happen while we are in bed either waking up or falling asleep. Don't know if this was the case for you but again it's possible.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: