You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House 2

Real Ghost Stories

The House 2

 

Thanks to everyone who requested more about the boogie man and about things that happened in "The House" I have very limited time to write, but I plan to post my experiences in small segments. As I mentioned before, I had my first experience when I was five, (at least that I remember). I personally believe in a spirit realm, in part because of these occurrences. However, it was not until my ex-husband had a premonition, that I became a firm believer. (I will put this story on Psychic-Experiences.) Prior to this I wondered if I just had a vivid overactive imagination. I am a Christian, and I believe my experiences can be explained biblically. I am just beginning to try to search for those answers. However, I believe without a doubt that we are constantly intertwined with another sphere. Perhaps as you read you will become convinced too.

As I stated in the first story of "The House," I never went into that attic again. However, when my dad came home, he went up there and checked it out. Upon his return, he said that he did not see anything, but that there were no holes or openings that he could see, so he did not think that it was a bird or bat. Surprisingly, he believed me and told my mother that this was an old house, and that quite possibly, a spirit or two could be present.

No sooner did he finish his affirming statement; when a loud rustling sound came from the attic. With his eyes wide, he immediately rushed back up into the attic. The intensity I felt increased with every step I heard him take above me as the hairs on my arms stiffened from raised goose pimples to rigid needles. I was terrified as the door opened, half expecting my now racing heart to leap out of my chest if the shadow-like thing was going to be there at the door instead of my dad. Thankfully, it was my dad, and he said nothing was up there that he could see, but he knew we all heard it. The sound seemed like a set of horizontal blinds falling down from a window. However, there were no blinds on the windows up there, or anywhere else in the house for that matter.

Later we sat downstairs, eating our pizza staring at each other in an eerie silence and with an occasional exaggerated jerk in response to the slightest creek in the house. My dad decided to turn on some music while we ate. No sooner did he turn around from the stereo, the radio stopped. My dad simply said that we would have to get an antenna. When I protested, he went on to explain that he had seen many radios shut off, and that it may not be a ghost or spirit, but that if there was one, we would all learn to get along. Although, I secretly hoped that he was right that it just needed an antenna. Despite being scarred, and having a hard time getting to sleep, I survived the first night in the house.

When I woke up in the morning, I noticed that my closet door was open. I knew it was shut before I went to bed because I looked at it to make sure, since I was so scared the night before. I sprang from my bed and went to my mother who downstairs making coffee. I cut her off her good morning greeting to urgently ask if she had been in my room, particularly in my closet. She said, no and asked why. I told her about it being open even though I knew it was shut. She said we would have to ask Dad when he got up. However, he denied being in there too. He tried to suggest that perhaps it did not have a tight fit or that the knob could be stuck or something. So we went up to check. The closet door was shut! Furthermore, when he went to open it, he had to turn the knob all of the way and pull hard because the door fit quite tight. Thankfully, nothing came flying out. At that point he told me that he thought I was playing up the ghost thing. However, after my insisting that it was not me, and that I was absolutely sure without any doubt about it being closed when I went to bed and open when I woke up, he admitted that the door shuts firmly and should not come open by itself, and if I was not playing it up, then it sure could possibly be a spirit letting us know it was here.

Tagging close behind him we went back downstairs. He went for the coffee, and I poured a bowl of cereal. Next we sat at the table with my mother in the kitchen. I began to tell her about what happened, and that I thought there was something weird going on. Suddenly to our amazement the radio turned on! It happened completely on its own. We all just starred wide eyed and dumfounded at each other. Slowly my dad went and turned the radio down. He said that maybe we would not need an antenna after all. Nervously, I asked my mom if anyone ever died in this house. She said she did not know, and to not let my mind wonder or it would play tricks on me. As we talked about the strangeness, the radio began to tune in an out, but it also got louder and softer. I looked back and forth between my mom and dad searching their eyes urgently for answers. They both had the same bewildered look that validated the fear I felt. My dad quickly explained that we just needed an antenna after all.

At this point I exclaimed that the tuning would not make it get louder and lower! I walked in and peered at the stereo, like it would give me answers. Even though this was in 1984, we had a digital stereo as my dad always liked his electronic toys. The station lights were not simply dimming as it had in the past when the station was not getting reception. To my horror the tuner was being turned and the numbers flashed showing the numbers getting bigger and smaller. Additionally as it got louder, the volume light indicator rose or declined as it lowered.

My dad calmed me and said there had to be an explanation. He turned it off, and put in a tape. However, after one song, even that turned off. He put in another tape. He said that there seemed to be a spirit. He talked to it out loud and said that he would put in something else and that he hopped the spirit liked it and reminded me and the ghost that we would all have to get along. I could not believe he was saying this, but it at least made me feel less crazy, at least I knew this was really happening.

My dad went back into the kitchen and began looking at the stove that he had to connect. The new tape continued without problems or "interference..." I looked at my mom and she just shrugged. I demanded to know how they could just go on like nothing was happening and that if the house was haunted, weren't they crazy for staying? My mother was calming and insisted that there be another explanation. My dad said there was nothing we could do anyway, that it was our house now and the spirit would see we were no threat, and besides it seemed mischievous and not mean, if indeed it really was a spirit. I held fast to this reasoning and forced myself to be convinced that it was true, while I secretly hoped he was right.

Meanwhile we went on making it our home, and nothing more happened that day, but there would be more over the next two years. Little did I know how right I was to have suspicion of the spirit's intentions.

Other hauntings by FreeSpirit

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FreeSpirit, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
Free spirit,
Luv your story. I have many things just like yours still happening in my house and I have to say that I have learned to live with it.
I did some checking on my property through the public records and the Library and that opens more doors to checking other records. Also I know you don't live there any more but asking older people the ones that have lived in town the longest they usually know what has happened in the neighborhood.
Good luck and if you need help don't hesitate in emailing me. 😉
FreeSpirit (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-15)
It has been suggested that I look into the history of the house. Does anyone know how I might do this? Perhaps someone knows what if any public records to check on ownership ect.
FreeSpirit (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-15)
Rhodes- Yes, I too am glad that I was supported or I would have felt crazy, especially being a young teen. Yes, there were many other incidents. One in particular, was very convincing. I will write about it next. Thanks for the comments.

Karyn- I am and continue to be thankful for their support. They too were skeptical, especially my mom (rest here soul), but they could not deny most of it. They both had experiences there too.

Bellissima and Tonith- Thank you both for the encouragement. It is assurring to know that others have experienced similar things.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
I certainly believe you because I stayed in a haunted apartment of a friend's family and they had their electrical stuff mess with all the time. Clocks would always show the wrong time even after they were set to the right time. This was before battery operated clocks so they were plugged in. The radio would change stations all the time on it's own and even though she lived like 2 miles from the radio station that played all our popular music at the time there were times when we could get nothing but static and only one classical station. If we mananged to get our regular station it would fade in and out then return to the classical station. Guess the spirit didn't like our brand of music. They had many things happen in that place like seeing human shaped shadows in the long hallway and the living room getting cold on a hot day and the feeling of being watched in the bathroom was down right unnerving. The spirits liked moving coins and jewelry around. So if someone couldn't find the watch on their nightstand they would have to go room by room seaching and they would find it on another dresser or nightstand. They finally got a medium in and found they had 2 spirits one good and protective and the other stubborn and cranky. The medium said the 2 spirits had no intention of leaving so after 2 summers in that apartment they moved out. The next place was normal as pie so I know it wasn't just their imagination.
I'm glad your parents were supportive as were my friend's parents. Very interesting story and glad it was not happening to just you because people are so quick not to believe a youngster.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
Freespirit, hi.I've had electronics fooled with by spirits on a few different occasions, I've found it amusing.I'm looking forward to the rest of your experiences, I've enjoyed reading them.
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
What a great story! How refreshing that your parents actually believed there was a spirit there. So many parents are so quick to dismiss these events as an overactive imagination or a creaky old house.
I will be looking forward to more stories.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
Hi again FreeSpirit and thanks for coming back with an additional entry.

I'm pleasantly surprised by your dad's response to the strange events at home. It's a good thing to have their support and not feel stranded when something extraordinary happens.

You got me really curious with your last paragraph so I'll be looking forward to reading more from you.

Thanks again.
Tammy 😊
FreeSpirit (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-12)
JohorMsia- I definiately believe it was an entity. Actually, as I look back, I think there were at least three enities in that house. As I mentioned in my opening, after knowing and witnessing a premonition, I am a firm believer. You may be able check out that story on the other site, as I sent it and am awaiting publication.
Twister- I moved a long time ago. I mentioned that in the first story, however perhaps I will give a mini preface for the next.
JohorMsia (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-12)
Well, an unseen entity to the eyes. But as the term entity is, something which is perceived or known or inferred to have its own distinct existence (living or nonliving)
perhaps can affect or interferes with the atmosphere by changing the surrounding temperature/changes the magnetic field/inteferes with electronics such as capacitance/current induction which explains the 'tuning' of the radio station in your stereo.

Since modern science can't prove it's existence and most human can't see them, there is little answer we can get.

It is up to the individual to believe whether these unseen entities exist or not.

I hope you'll be fine and stay strong.
twisterdude994 (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-12)
woah man that's freaky maybe you could get some monks to bless your house or something that usually works

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: