You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Harold's Story

Real Ghost Stories

Harold's Story


In November of 1984, my family moved into a new and larger home. I was 9 at the time. From day one there were strange things that happened in that house. My grandfather's rocking chair would rock on its own, doors slamming when there was no one there and no breeze in the house, the TV turned off and on by itself as well as changed channels.

For the first 15 years or so my parents always had an excuse for everything that happened. "There is a draft somewhere" "The batteries need to be changed in the remote". I knew that there was "Something" or "Someone" else in the house with us but it never scared me. My parents finally started to believe me after one incident.

My Dad had just bought a new horse and she had just arrived at the barn here in Canada from Texas. The whole family spent the evening getting to know her. None of us could agree on a name for her though and we stayed up until 1am discussing it. We finally decided to all sleep on it and went to bed.

Not 30 minutes later there was a loud crash in the living room. Everyone bolted out of their bedrooms and rushed downstairs. There, face down on the living room floor was the huge family portrait that hung over the mantle. The nail it hung on was still firmly in the brick. There was no way this could have just fallen! As we are standing there perplexed my Mom looks and everyone and says "Lexie. We need to name her Lexie". I truly believe that our invisible resident wanted to be in on the naming because to this day my Mom couldn't tell you where the name came from.

Shortly after that my Grandfather (Dad's Dad) appeared to both my father and little sister. My Dad who was a HUGE skeptic was now a believer. After that, the activity increased in the house. In the middle of the night I would hear running up and down the stairs for hours at a time. Every time I peaked the noise continued but there was never anyone there. Things started go missing. I took 3 hangers out of the closet to hang some clothes. I hung the 2nd one back up and turned around and the 3rd one was gone from my bed. I turned that room upside down and didn't find it. I finally said out loud "That's not funny, please put it back". I left the room and came back 10 minutes later and it was sitting in the middle of my bed. These things happened to all 5 of us so there are many, many examples of this happening.

That year, we took a picture of our Christmas tree and when the film was developed there was a strange red orb in the picture. My Mom ran a photo lab so she went though everything in the room and it was determined that nothing could have caused it. I took it to a friend who was psychic. She came back and told me that she saw two spirits-a man wearing a fedora which would be my Grandfather but also a little boy. She said his name was Harold. He was about 5 or 6 years old and wore overalls. He had curly blond hair and big blue eyes. She told us that he died somewhere in our area in the early 1800's. He drowned in a well.

I started to acknowledge Harold and talk to him. The activity picked up even more. There were many nights I was away. My bedroom was right over the living room. At 5 am every morning as my Mom was quietly sipping her coffee and reading she would hear someone walking around my room like they were getting ready for the day. The first couple of times she went and looked and of course the room was empty. My niece had a stick horse. The kind you press its ear and it makes whinnying and galloping noises. This started going off when my Mom was home alone. It would seem Harold wanted to play.

I finally got to see him. I had insomnia and so while trying to fall asleep, I would talk to Harold. One night in one corner of my room, it looked like falling stars for about 5 minutes. Another night I could see a shadow standing on my cedar chest playing with a marionette I had hanging from the ceiling.

One night as I was talking to him, I told him I wish he would show himself to me. After a few minutes and he hadn't done anything I decided to close my eyes and try and sleep. Two minutes later I head a floor board squeak and opened my eyes. I watched Harold walk around from the foot of my bed to the side. He climbed on my bed on his tummy and came almost nose to nose with me. We just looked at each other for a moment then he smiled and backed off the bed and walked to the bottom of it and disappeared again.

I moved out shortly after that. The noises and whatnot still continued until the day my parents moved out 6 months ago. I hope and pray that the family that moved in loves him as much as we did. He was just such a lost and lonely little boy.

Other hauntings by Cdn_Tinkerbell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cdn_Tinkerbell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
14 years ago (2008-07-28)
I and thank you for sharring a interesting story with us. It was very intersting. I to believe that the places was full of spirits. I am glad that your father had a chance to see his grandfather. It are these things that change us for ever. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
14 years ago (2008-07-27)
Nothing makes me more sad than thinking of children caught between worlds. I don't think they know of "time and space" as we do so they may have no idea how long they have been in that space. All they want is some attention being that they don't know what is going on and why some people can see them and others can't so it has to be confusing for them. I have a real problem with these kinds of hauntings because it's not residual but intelligent and that means they are communicating as they best know how. Some religions believe these are not spirits of children but imps or demons that just like tormenting or scaring living beings. I'm not sure what it is. I just know if it happened to me and it was a child I would do everything in my power to make sure it crossed over to the Light.
BboyFreeze (8 posts)
14 years ago (2008-07-27)
Lets wish him good luck in crossing to the new world. God bless Harold... ❤
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
14 years ago (2008-07-26)
Hi Cdn_Tinkerbell. I really enjoyed reading this story. It made me feel so bad that when your family moved, he felt abandoned. Atleast that's the feel I got from him. I truly hope he has moved on to a better place where his loved ones await. Thank you for sharing your story.

dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
14 years ago (2008-07-25)
Wow He sound like a sweet little boy and lonley and lost he may not know he is dead.
FRAWIN (guest)
14 years ago (2008-07-25)
Hello Cdn_Tinkerbell. I can understand completely how a person can become attached to a "child ghost".Thank you for a very interesting story. Take Care.

rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
14 years ago (2008-07-25)
Hi Jennifer and that you for a very interesting story!

I think that Harold being so young, was lost and even unaware of having left the physical world. I believe that he stayed at your home because that must have been his home too. Your acknowledging and accepting him as part of that home provided him with a sense of belonging. Your recognition of him confirmed his existence and that, in extent, eliminated his loneliness.

I want to believe that, despite his attouchment to you and your family, he has realised that he's no longer part of this world and now that you're gone, he will find the courage to cross over to where his family awaits!
Cdn_Tinkerbell (2 stories) (13 posts)
14 years ago (2008-07-25)
Thank you for your comments. I did try to help him cross over once. I explained to him that his life here is over and his Mommy was waiting for him in the white light. Things did stop for about 2 months. In that time I moved in with my now Husband. Shortly after I moved out my Mom told me that the activity was starting up again. I think about him often and I pray for him to find the light every single day. It is my hope that with telling his story so many people will think about this poor little guy and pray for him to cross that it will help him to do so.

His last contact with anyone in my family was with my Mom. She was alone in the house. Everything had already been moved and she was cleaning. An attachment for the vaccum was at the top of a set of stairs about 4 ft back from the edge. She was one flight down. Out of nowhere the vaccum attachment came flying down the stairs like it had been kicked or thrown. My Mom followed my advice, even though she says she felt like a fool. She told him that it was their time to move on and so should he.

I hope and pray that Harold finds his way soon!

Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
14 years ago (2008-07-25)
That is a really sweet story, but creepy at the same time. I think that your mom comming up with that name was really neat. It's a good thing that you talked to him, but did you ever think that instead of allowing him to be trapped there you could help him? If you realized that he was lost and lonely, maybe you should have helped him find his way to a better place. Maybe Heaven. Would you want to be stuck in one house for eternity? ❤ Jasmin
Becky_babe (6 posts)
14 years ago (2008-07-25)
It sounds like you might have a bit of a trickster living in your house! Your very lucky. Perhaps a happy child or maybe even a poltergeist! Haha, maybe Peeves has deserted Hogwarts in favor of your house.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: