You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Weatherboard House

Real Ghost Stories

The Weatherboard House

 

Up until I was the age of 12, I lived in a quaint, weatherboard house in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria, with my mother, my father and my twin sister. I think it is also important to note that when my mum was a little girl, she lived in the same house with her mother and two brothers.

The house was like a cottage from the Victorian era. There were rose bushes outside, the inside was furnished with classic furniture and the style of it was very old-timey. It was one of the first houses in the entire suburb.

My first memory of anything supernatural in the house was when my sister came to my mum, complaining of a constant dream she had been having. We were about four at the time. She told my mum that she kept having a dream about a tall man in an old suit and a top hat with a cane, who was spanking her. I had the same dream. We were told, when we were older, that her youngest brother had the same dream in that house, and we discovered from a neighbour that, a man and his wife had lived there a while back. The man absolutely hated children. He had killed his wife, and then himself, in the house.

As we got older, my sister and I moved into the front bedroom, the biggest room in the house. It had a large bay window across the front, and a small window on the left side of the room. I distinctly remember lying terrified at night as I watched shadows walk past my window at night, which clearly makes no sense, as there was no light outside.

There were things, such as knocks on the roof a whole bunch of times in a row whenever I was trying to sleep. There were footsteps, and when I was a pre-teen, things of mine just started disappearing and turning up a few weeks later in the strangest places.

I have no idea what really happened there, but I am pretty positive it was the man with the hat, and I am also sure my mother knew about it, even though she told me there were no ghosts, because as soon as we moved into our new house, she made me help her smudge the place. One technique I have learnt from her is to surround myself with white light, to protect myself, and nothing eventful has happened at our new house.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Astronautical, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Astronautical (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-22)
AussieRedDog, yes, it was located near a creek, the suburb was near the Dandenong ranges and I have gone on some of the trails there, there are quite a lot of creeks.

Tonight, I think you are correct, I have a feeling he is still there because he can't let go of the house, nor does he want to move on, like you said.

Holly, it was a BEAUTIFUL house. We moved out about two years ago. I discussed with my mother, recently, in fact, I just asked her straight out, was our old house haunted? And she just said yes, very matter-of-factly. She said she used to feel a presence and weird things always happened. We never smudged that house, no idea why, but we made sure to smudge our new house and no problems so far.
AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-20)
Melbourne got a dark history with the gangland wars happening at the moment and going back to the early 1900s and the mid 1800s, sounds like your house really is holding onto some old memories. May I ask if you're located near water? I read once and I do believe this that ghosts are attracted to water. I think I wrote this somewhere else but you'll a majority of sightings are located near water, either it's an under water stream or a small creek. My last posting about the haunted YHA was located near a river and my other sightings, except for the office one, were mostly near water. Is your house located anywhere near the Yarra River or a creek? I'm just interested to see if this theory is correct! 😐
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
I believe a house can hold an essence be it good or bad from the people that lived in it. Sounds like the man that did live there was unbalanced and maybe he refused to move on. If he killed his wife in that house the trauma from that killing may have been imprinted in the atmosphere and you were able to pick up on it. More than likely the man just didn't pass onward to the Light being that he murdered and was afraid of the consequences of his actions. Apparently he had no interest in following your family but may still reside in that old house.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
That sounds quite awful. It's a shame, I get a mental picture of the home and it sounds lovely.

I'm assuming you have moved and so has the family. Does the house still stand? Have you and your mother ever discussed what you saw/felt? I know you said you helped smudge the place

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: