You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: House On Bannatyne

Real Ghost Stories

House On Bannatyne

 

I remember the 70's being bright and sunny during the days, playing with the neighborhood children and making memories. When night fell, our house on Bannatyne seemed to take on a life of its own. My family was well aware of its capabilities. Thinking on it now, there had to have been many spirits that shared our house. Some were good and others, well, you know the story. Everyone experienced something. Everyone, meaning, my grandmother's family and her sister's family shared this huge house.

I was 4 years old the first time I saw a ghost. My mom sent me off to bed, a couple relatives were visiting for the weekend and they were all just in the next room. We occupied the main floor with my grandma and step-grandfather, while my grandma's sister and her family lived upstairs.

My grandma and my step-grandfather were working the nightshift. My mom left the bedroom door ajar so the light could stream in for my comfort. I turned on my left side facing a chair next to my bed. Why the chair was there, I don't know. I noticed something taking form on the chair. My body became paralyzed and I tried to scream for my mom but nothing escaped from my mouth.

It was my recently deceased grandfather sitting before me, smiling and wearing the dark suit he wore in his casket. I could see through him. I was terrified! I knew he wasn't supposed to be there and finally, after what seemed like a long time, I was able to yell and run.

After calming me down, my mom sat me in between the visiting relatives on the couch as she called my grandma to come home. I wasn't able to speak for two hours. My grandma and step-grandfather came home and we all stayed up until the sun came out.

I know now, my grandfather came to see me one last time and I had behaved ridiculously by being afraid but what did I know at the time? I'd have to admit, it's still scary hearing, feeling or seeing ghosts or shadow people to this day... I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

Other hauntings by valerie67

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valerie67, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

valerie67 (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-18)
I agree with you about the tensing up and my heart does sound loud at times. But what would you say about the times when I am not scared and I hear a voice? The last time was yesterday and it whispered "hey?" that's all it ever says. It spooks me but I'm not scared. Then again maybe I am. I say I'm going to talk to it but I dont. I want to say "go to the light" but I'm afaid it might appear and for sure I'll faint or something. I have an open Bible in my livingroom to ease my fear. The last ghost I saw was a year ago and I cried my eyes out for an hour. I was like a little kid again... (There was another voice last week but I'll save that for another time)
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
You know what, Valerie?
Many people who have the ability of sight tend to take flight when encountering the Unknown. There is nothing to be ashamed of, and nothing to beat yourself up over.
I was listening to the interview of a well known Medium who said that when an entity simply appears (no obvious "warning signs") this person tends to tense up, freeze all over, heart thumping wildly in the chest, and all the characteristics of fear take on a personality of their own.
This person has thousands of "cases" under the belt, has assisted numerous ghosts to The Other Side, and has assisted others in ridding their homes of unwanted beings.
It is natural. Fear is what keeps us from taking unnecessary risks, and keeps us safe.
Wa-do.
valerie67 (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-04)
Thank you everyone for your comments. They're greatly appreciated. I think my reaction was to his "being there when he shouldn't be" just like zzsgranny pointed out.
My grandfather and I were close. I still miss him even though it was so long ago but it doesn't seem like it. Oh, "Darkness" I have more stories. I'll write one tonight when I get home. Thanks again.
badtay16 (18 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-04)
Your grandfather probablly missed you and wanted to say he loved you and goodbye. I wouldn't say it was the last time because you never know he may come back to see you again.

Taylor ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-03)
Good story Valerie, I'm glad your mum and friends where there to comfort you at such a young age. It was your grandfather saying one last goodbye to you I would take comfort in that. 😊
What were some of the other events that occured in your home?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
Valerie: I agree with BadJuuJuu, most younger children aren't aware that there IS anything to be afraid of... I think fear toward the paranormal is a learned response... You say he was in the suit he was wearing in his casket... Did you attend the funeral or calling hours?...If so, that could be why you had the response you did... Even at such a young age, death can be a realistic concept...Therefore, knowing that he wasn't supposed to be there is what frightened you, not necessarily the apparition itself...

Don't feel bad about getting spooked by our friends from the other side 😆...We all have our moments! ❤
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
I probly would have sat there looking like an idiot haha 😆 Who isn't afraid of the unknown really, I deal with shadow people and can be terrified at times, its sweet of your Grandfather to say goodbye before he left, goodluck, Katherine...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
Most very young children take seeing an apparition in stride. Your reaction to seeing one at such a young age seems unusual. Were the feelings of fear simply a result of seeing someone you didn't expect, and knew shouldn't be there? Or did the fear seem to stem from the apparition itself?
It's ok to still get unnerved by the paranormal. Some people get more or less used to it. Others never do. There isn't really a right or wrong reaction. Just go with your instincts.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: