You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Carrier?

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Carrier?

 

Quick history U.S.S Forrestal in 1967 had a bad accident followed by a bad fire which killed 134 men...

Now, 1987 I was aboard that ship. I was in a fighter squadron (vf-31), an aviation electrician and working on the hanger deck. By the way this was my second cruise aboard this ship (as well as a few workups) so I was pretty familiar with operations as well as sights, sounds and smells.

Between the hanger and the o2 level (just below the flight deck) there are a couple corridors and ladders. Now I had traversed these levels day and night for months, and believe me when you are working on an aircraft carrier especially during flight ops, the LAST thing on your mind are ghosts!... Up the ladder I go just as a thousand times before when I hear and FEEL THUMP, THUMP, THUMP... Someone is behind me, and right on my heels. I'm actually irritated because this a-hole is pushing me up the ladder. I get to the top, step over the knee-knocker and whirl around and start to say "hey a****** what is your problem!"... And nobody is there... Whoa... Absolutely no way in hell could this guy be anywhere else but in front of me and yet... The hair on my neck stood up and I got a cold chill. I'll never forget it...

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, afterlifecurious, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wheelmanstan (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-28)
Man, that's something you won't forget. You're right though, the last thing on your mind is ghosts, and that's a very good thing. I'd imagine if I were looking for ghosts while serving, I'd have found all kinds of signs. I did hear ghost step down ladders before quite a bit in certain areas, but always convinced myself it was just the ship flexing. But we all know how loud and vibrating those ladders are. Haha
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
After a bit of research I find that Fighter Squadron 31 (VF-31) was part of Carrier Air Wing Six embarked on USS Forrestal (CV-59) during NATO exercise Ocean Safari 1987. So I offer my apoligies.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Which deplyment was this again? I do not think that VF 31 ever flew off of the deck of the USS Forrestal. I could be wrong, but This Squdron deployed with us (USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN 71). They were the last F-14 Squadron to deply aboard an air craft carrier.

As a flight controller you get tknow your pilots and the histroy of their Squadrons, they won't let you forget it...

I do believe the USS Forrestal is (could) be haunted... Just have my doubts about this story, sorry...

Respectfully,

Rook Dygin... US Navy (Ret) E-6
Oli (2 stories) (74 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-20)
Wow very creepy. I would've been too scared to go back down lol. Any more stories from the ship?
kaiser24 (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-20)
I felt cold about what your story says,huh! I wouldn't want to be carry by a ghost then...It's scary! 😭
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-20)
Very interesting, thanks for sharing your experience.I'm also curious to know if anything else unexplained happened while you were there?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-20)
Yep I'm thinking it is residual aswell no doubt in my mind that there would be restless spirits confined there after such a shocking event. I hope they eventually find peace.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Pinkzilla (35 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-20)
That would have scared the crud out of me. I guess the ghost didn't think you were moving fast enough. Although, with such a tragic past it could very well have been a risidual haunting. Did anything else happen while you were there?

:0)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: